British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   schools cleveland area (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/schools-cleveland-area-824134/)

donna Feb 5th 2014 2:41 am

schools cleveland area

hi i have a friend moving over on a years visa with a 15 yr daughter who is extremely talented and gifted in sports,at the moment she does athletics and pole vault ,but seems to excel in any sport that she tries.they will be living in cleveland ,any recommendation of schs private and public ,thx a lot )

Icecube Feb 5th 2014 9:46 am

Re: schools cleveland area

Originally Posted by donna (Post 11113936)
hi i have a friend moving over on a years visa with a 15 yr daughter who is extremely talented and gifted in sports,at the moment she does athletics and pole vault ,but seems to excel in any sport that she tries.they will be living in cleveland ,any recommendation of schs private and public ,thx a lot )

I assume you mean Cleveland Qld?

3 private options are:

www.ormistoncollege.com

www.redlands.qld.edu.au

www.sheldoncollege.com

They all have positives and negatives and you will need to visit them to see if you like the ethos of the particular school. The main issue will be a mutual fit and free places as a lot of these schools have waiting lists.

Depending on how deep your pockets are and how far you want to travel there are also lots of other options in the CBD area.

sprug Feb 5th 2014 10:00 am

My friend lives that way and he swears that Ormiston is the best one over that way - I will ask him what it is like for sports.

Icecube Feb 5th 2014 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by sprug (Post 11114241)
My friend lives that way and he swears that Ormiston is the best one over that way - I will ask him what it is like for sports.

Sheldon has the reputation for arts and sports and Ormiston for academics (as well as sports and arts). Lots of rivalry between these two. Redlands has a more vocational reputation.

The head mistress (Lin Bishop) of Sheldon has a reputation for running a tight ship and if you do not fit in (with her view on things) then you can leave...hence the comment about liking the ethos of the respective schools.

donna Feb 5th 2014 10:15 pm

thx guys ,any feedback for the public schools .And yes have heard of doc bishops rep ,lol

Icecube Feb 6th 2014 9:39 am

Originally Posted by donna (Post 11115410)
thx guys ,any feedback for the public schools .And yes have heard of doc bishops rep ,lol

Public (State) schools are not per se bad, but suffer from the fact that a percentage of generally higher socio economic kids get siphoned off to the above Private schools.