Reload this Page >

Schools and Childcare in NZ

Schools and Childcare in NZ

Old Jul 17th 2004, 9:10 pm
Just Joined

ClaireCornell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Schools and Childcare in NZ

Dear All in New Zealand,

Could anyone help me with some school/childcare queries?

We are hoping to come out later this year and have two kids aged 3 and 10;

Firstly schools.

The NZ school year starts in January (I've read). If my 10yr old (who will be 11 in Feb 05) started school in Jan 05 would this be her last year at primary school or her first year in intermediate?

What times do schools start and finish?

Do schools have before and after school care? How about holiday care? How much does this cost?

Are schools clean and airy places (unlike overcrowded, sad and grubby places in the UK)?

Do you have school buses or equivalent?

Now childcare.

I get the impression that there are loads of daycare centres around. Is this right?

How much (approx) does childcare cost?

Is the quality good?

Do childcare centres follow school terms or are they open all year round?

What age do children move from daycare/kindergarten to school?

Thankyou so much for your answers to these...

Claire

Old Jul 18th 2004, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

How long is a piece of string?

As I understand it your child will be in final year of primary, as you need to be 11 to start intermediate school.

9am- 3pm

Some schools have after school clubs and hoilday care too, it all depends on the area/school etc. Cost again varies.

As for the fabric of the school, I can not speak for all schools, other than to say the one we chose for our children is spacious and airy, but then again the teaching methods are "old fashioned". The children all sit at wooden desks.

Child care again varies from place to place.

When you have more idea of where you will be heading to post again and I'm sure people will be able to give you more accurate advice about that specific location.

Gill
Old Jul 18th 2004, 9:56 am
Just Joined

ClaireCornell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default schools and childcare in NZ

Ta Gill and Rob.

Don't know exactly where we'll be yet. Probably Aukland by the sounds of it. Would it be true to say that there are more likely to be childcare facilities in Aukland (being a city) than in more remote spots?
Just wanted to get a flavour of what's available. If there is not adequate childcare then it means I won't be able to work. This is a big factor in the decision to come.

Claire