British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Schools - Brisbane suburbs - comments (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/schools-brisbane-suburbs-comments-528847/)

MarkandS Apr 12th 2008 4:55 pm

Schools - Brisbane suburbs - comments

Hello

Am looking at scools for my daughters, will be 11 & 9. Has anybody got any comments on the folowing schools, or have any other suggestions in this area?

Schools are: Hilder State School in The Gap, The Gap State School, or the Our Lady of assumption in enogorra.

Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

Mark

DadAgain Apr 12th 2008 10:39 pm

Re: Schools - Brisbane suburbs - comments

The Gap has an excellent reputation for schooling and the high school recently came out as the top performing state school in Brisbane (according to exam result statistics).

Hilder rd school is smaller than The Gap State School and may have fewer facilities- but both have a good reputation. Theres also Payne Rd State school in The Gap and Peter Chanel School (Catholic primary). I think all the primary school in the area use the pool at the state school for their swimming lessons.

The Gap is a fantastic area with quite a strong community feel (I've been here for 8 years) and think its definately one of the better places in Brisbane for kids to grow up.

trejon Apr 12th 2008 11:33 pm

Oh you will be right at home in The Gap. It's just like Brum;)

DadAgain Apr 12th 2008 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by trejon (Post 6199969)
Oh you will be right at home in The Gap. It's just like Brum;)

Hmmmm... I must've missed that particular part of Birmingham!! :rofl:

Timber Floor Au Apr 13th 2008 12:11 am

No experience.

Theres also, Ferny Grove whih is close by...

Also you have to be able to pronounce Ennogerra ! ( EnOGRA)

:) ste

trejon Apr 13th 2008 12:11 am

Originally Posted by DadAgain (Post 6200019)
Hmmmm... I must've missed that particular part of Birmingham!! :rofl:

NO, honestly, there ARE similarities. THEY don't have any decent football teams either;);)

kerikerr Apr 13th 2008 1:25 am

Originally Posted by MarkandS (Post 6198845)
Hello

Am looking at scools for my daughters, will be 11 & 9. Has anybody got any comments on the folowing schools, or have any other suggestions in this area?

Schools are: Hilder State School in The Gap, The Gap State School, or the Our Lady of assumption in enogorra.

Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

Mark

Hi,
We live in Ashgove and our kids go to Ithaca Creek S.S which we are really pleased with, but have heard that The Gap S.S is really good and The Gap High school has a really good rep! We are looking to buy in The Gap area - great for kids!! Good luck with your move.

MarkandS Apr 13th 2008 12:23 pm

To all of you above that have replied

Thank you. At least it seems that we are looking in the right direction.

It seems that scools will dictate where we will try to live, though have to bear in mind work so some limitations to distance.

Mark

DadAgain Apr 13th 2008 9:35 pm

Where are you gonna be working?

If you're in (or likely to be in) the CBD - there are lots of busses from The Gap to the city. Not all of them run strictly to a timetable and it can be very frustrating, but if you live close enough to the right bus stops you wont have too much trouble. Peak hour journey is just over 30 minutes on bus. Off-peak driving is 15mins, peak 30minutes - with daily parking ~$20 or bus $3 each way.

the bus timetable is about to be 'radically overhauled' in May when a new CBD bus station is opened which, according to the marketing speil, will 'dramatically cut travel times and improve efficiency and reliability of services to the west'... We'll see!

Give me a yell if you are going to settle in The Gap - I'm always happy to assist and get more 'white shirts' around me for any all important Eng v Aus sporting fixtures! :D

MarkandS Apr 13th 2008 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by DadAgain (Post 6203564)
Where are you gonna be working?

Give me a yell if you are going to settle in The Gap - I'm always happy to assist and get more 'white shirts' around me for any all important Eng v Aus sporting fixtures! :D

DadAgain

Thank you. I will be working in Ennogora. We are looking at schools then look for where we want to live to meet those requirements. At the moment The Gap is looking favorite. Will give you a shout for further info & or to meet up once we get there.

Thanks

Mark

DadAgain Apr 13th 2008 10:32 pm

When's the move?