Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Schools In Brisbane

Schools In Brisbane

Old Aug 14th 2005, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

wallabywannabies will become famous soon enoughwallabywannabies will become famous soon enough
Default Schools In Brisbane

Hi can you tell me anything about schools in Brisbane we have a 14 year old and a 7 year old.
Old Aug 14th 2005, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schools In Brisbane

Originally Posted by wallabywannabies
Hi can you tell me anything about schools in Brisbane we have a 14 year old and a 7 year old.
hi there,

can't really help you that much but i've been looking for the same.

you might like to contact ABCdiamond who i'm sure can help you or look on a site called brisbanebaysidebrits, a good site with lots of info which if i'm not mistaken ABC set up.

hope this might help a little.

good luck

debs
Old Aug 14th 2005, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

Sharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant future

No disrespect but your question is similar to "Schools in London!!!!!"

Brisbane can roughly be divided into Northside , Southside, Bayside, Logan & Ipswich. Outside of which are North....Bribie Island, Caboltre, Sunshine Coast......South is the Gold Coast....west is Gatton and Toowoomba.

The land scale is similar to south england, so a little bit more detail may be required
Old Aug 14th 2005, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

wallabywannabies will become famous soon enoughwallabywannabies will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Sharpy67
No disrespect but your question is similar to "Schools in London!!!!!"

Brisbane can roughly be divided into Northside , Southside, Bayside, Logan & Ipswich. Outside of which are North....Bribie Island, Caboltre, Sunshine Coast......South is the Gold Coast....west is Gatton and Toowoomba.

The land scale is similar to south england, so a little bit more detail may be required
Hi sorry we are not sure what part off Brisbane maybe Jindlee.
Old Aug 14th 2005, 5:27 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

We've been looking into schools and have found the following link quite useful. www.ourbrisbane.com. Also the Queensland Government website has links to most school websites. Try www.qld.gov.au and search for education.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Old Aug 14th 2005, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Stitch
Hi,

We've been looking into schools and have found the following link quite useful. www.ourbrisbane.com. Also the Queensland Government website has links to most school websites. Try www.qld.gov.au and search for education.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
THANK YOU
Old Aug 14th 2005, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Hey there

here is the link direct to QLD education#

http://education.qld.gov.au/

They are very helpful and we have emailed a few times and got good replies.

We too have a 7 year old and also a 15 year old (just last week) and also a 3 year old. Moving to Brisbane next year, and also like you we do not know which part. So its find a suburb first then a school. However, we do have friends in Stretton and Calamvale in the south, which is swaying us in that direction.

The local school there is apparently very good and it is very much an option for us. Have a look: http://www.calamvalecomcoll.qld.edu.au/

Good luck and keep in touch, interested to hear your story as we are very much in the same boat
Old Aug 14th 2005, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manxfamily
Hey there

We too have a 7 year old and also a 15 year old (just last week) and also a 3 year old. Moving to Brisbane next year, and also like you we do not know which part. So its find a suburb first then a school. However, we do have friends in Stretton and Calamvale in the south, which is swaying us in that direction.

The local school there is apparently very good and it is very much an option for us. Have a look: http://www.calamvalecomcoll.qld.edu.au/

Good luck and keep in touch, interested to hear your story as we are very much in the same boat
my daughter is just 15 too, she wants to finish her GCSE's here and my son his a levels before we move to brissie next year.

my daughter wants to carry on her education so i'm having a look at TAFEs for her. will your daughter be continuing when you get there?

debs
Old Aug 14th 2005, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debbiemc
my daughter is just 15 too, she wants to finish her GCSE's here and my son his a levels before we move to brissie next year.

my daughter wants to carry on her education so i'm having a look at TAFEs for her. will your daughter be continuing when you get there?

debs

Our daughter is doing her GCSEs next June which is why we are waiting until July to go (we should have visas by Ocotber, house sale permitting).

Once we get there we plan for her to start school straight away and doing her Australian equivalent to GCSEs, then hopefully further ed. We think her going back and doing it all again will help her settle, especially in the school environment and meeting friends.
Old Aug 15th 2005, 12:21 am
ABCDiamond

Will you be looking at Private Schools or State schools ?

Private schools, in my area, can vary in cost upwards from about $700 per year for a Catholic school. The other Christian affiliated private schools start from about $3,000 per year, and the non religious ones are from about $5,000 per year.

Here are a couple of links to info I have done before:
http://www.abcdiamond.com.au/info_education.htm
http://www.abcdiamond.com/brisbane/viewforum.php?f=9

Old Aug 15th 2005, 12:59 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Schools In Brisbane

- There are lots
- They've all got kids in them
- Most of them have got places, nearly all in fact.
- There is far less restriction on 'being in catchment area' unless you're living in the CBD

- There are state (free)
- Private church assisted which are 600+$ per term
- Not church assisted 'top tier' private schools - 1-5K$ per term.

You will find that when you get here you will find an area you want to live, then you'll look for the nearest school and that will be that sorted out. There arent any 'outstanding' differences between the schools unless you pay for the top whack private schools in which case most kids of 7 & 14 go to school on train or bus so living area is irrelevant. One school might have a pool where others dont, personally the thing I'd look for now is air-con ! most state schools dont have it, some (not all)private schools have it.

Dont worry about it - Education is not rubbish as many have said, and the freedom of choice is great. We were picky as heck in the UK about schools but over here its far easier to find a good school and get in.
Old Aug 15th 2005, 11:39 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Hey there

Be careful with Calamvale - Sam has taught there and is now at a school just down the road. The general consensus is that it isn't a good school.

R
Old Aug 15th 2005, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by samnrob2
Be careful with Calamvale - Sam has taught there and is now at a school just down the road. The general consensus is that it isn't a good school.

R
Ill bear that in mind, as I said we dont have a final location yet, and we will need a good look around before any decisions.

But thanks anyway.
Old Aug 15th 2005, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ill bear that in mind, as I said we dont have a final location yet, and we will need a good look around before any decisions.

But thanks anyway.
we are in the same position as the manxfamily, waiting until my daughter has finished her GCSE's, she dosen't want to re take her final year.

ABC could you tell me in that case, what she would do for the equivilant of A levels please?

Will i have to enroll her in TAFE or could she join a school with a 6th form?

any help appreciated thanks

debbie
Old Aug 15th 2005, 11:54 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by debbiemc
we are in the same position as the manxfamily, waiting until my daughter has finished her GCSE's, she dosen't want to re take her final year.

ABC could you tell me in that case, what she would do for the equivilant of A levels please?

Will i have to enroll her in TAFE or could she join a school with a 6th form?

any help appreciated thanks

debbie
I haven't looked into these school exams, so I can't offer any help in this respect.
And being an early school leaver myself, (started working at 15), all this exam stuff leaves me cold

But... just thought about it, I do know of one school, in NSW, that only goes up to year 10, and all students then have to go on to another school, so I would think it would be quite easy to join a school just to finish of the last year or so. In fact, in QLD it would be compulsory until they turn 17, unless they have a job already.

For QLD look at http://education.qld.gov.au/etrf/faq-leg.html#FAQs_2

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.