Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Schools in Brisbane

Schools in Brisbane

Old Feb 15th 2005, 12:11 am
Just Joined

redmini is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Schools in Brisbane

Hi, what a brilliant site, have been reading this for a long time but have not taken part yet, so hope I'm doing it right. How do you find out which is a popular school. School websites are OK but they all seem a bit similar after a while. I have been surprised at how many private schools and church schools there are. Is that because the state schools are not very good?

My son is in Yr 9 here and will have started Yr 10 by the time we go out (I know - not a good time to go!) but as he is born in January 91 what school year will he be in? My daughter is in Year 4 here and will be in Year 5 by the time we go out, as she was born in October 95 what school year will she be in?

Also is it the same as the UK where you don't pay for College / Sixth Form before they are 19?

I never even considered private in the UK but surprised that so many schools are private in Australia. It might be an option for my son as I will not have to pay for many years, but is it impossible to get them in at that late state?

Any info will be very much appreciated - as that is one of my main concerns -never mind finding jobs!
Old Feb 15th 2005, 12:30 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schools in Brisbane

The school yr runs from Jan to dec, so if he was born in jan he will probably go back a year, which could help him in the long run.
Old Feb 15th 2005, 1:52 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Schools in Brisbane

Originally Posted by redmini
Hi, what a brilliant site, have been reading this for a long time but have not taken part yet, so hope I'm doing it right. How do you find out which is a popular school. School websites are OK but they all seem a bit similar after a while. I have been surprised at how many private schools and church schools there are. Is that because the state schools are not very good?

My son is in Yr 9 here and will have started Yr 10 by the time we go out (I know - not a good time to go!) but as he is born in January 91 what school year will he be in? My daughter is in Year 4 here and will be in Year 5 by the time we go out, as she was born in October 95 what school year will she be in?

Also is it the same as the UK where you don't pay for College / Sixth Form before they are 19?

I never even considered private in the UK but surprised that so many schools are private in Australia. It might be an option for my son as I will not have to pay for many years, but is it impossible to get them in at that late state?

Any info will be very much appreciated - as that is one of my main concerns -never mind finding jobs!
Here is a guide to every non-government school in Australia: http://www.isd.com.au

Non-government schools in Australia receive government funding, and need to comply with certain government rules regarding teaching.

Fees can range from about $1,000 per year up to pretty high figures. But around $5,000 per year can get some pretty good schools, although this may vary with specific areas. My experience is more in the Bayside/Redlands area, with schools like Sheldon College and Ormiston College.

Many Christian based schools may be about the $3,000 per year range, but all fees need to be checked individually.

Primary & Secondary State schooling will cost you from about $200 per year in stationery costs etc.

What are of Brisbane are you aiming for ?

Old Feb 15th 2005, 7:38 am
Just Joined

redmini is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Re: Schools in Brisbane

Years ago we went to Cairns, Sydney and Perth but for some strange reason did not visit Brisbane. We are heading for Brisbane because we have some family round the Samford area and have heard how nice it is. Therefore we are are not sure which area to head for yet, but I would like to live close to the sea as I have heard that the sea breezes can be cooling in the summer. I have heard good things about Samford but don't know if I could take the heat in the summer.

I keep looking at the Bayside area which looks great and would suit me. We probably will only know where we want to live when we actually visit as you can't get the feel of a place visiting house websites.

My son wants a pool, lots of places to go and maybe near a station and my daughter wants land and a pony so I'm not going to be able to please everyone. I think that the area that we choose might simply come down to schools but how do you find out if a school is a particularly popular one or one that you would dread sending your kids to?