Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Schools Advice for a teacher in Melbourne

Schools Advice for a teacher in Melbourne

Old Jul 29th 2005, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

andrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really nice
Default Schools Advice for a teacher in Melbourne

My partner has seen two jobs advertised in two schools in Melbourne and having phoned the school, they both seem very interested!!!

Having taught in a rough school in the UK, where they are being polite if they say "F@~* off Miss", rather than just a straight "F$%& o^&" , she only wants to teach in a decent school with kids that want to be there and work!!

The two schools are Donvale Christian College and the other is Caulfield Grammar ay the Caulfield site. We have had a look at the school web sites and results look good and the schools look lovely, but then web sites always do!!!

Please can anyone give us any thoughts on either, good or bad!!!
Old Jul 29th 2005, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

andrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really nice
Default Re: Schools Advice for a teacher in Melbourne

Bumpity Bump.....
Old Jul 29th 2005, 5:50 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrewb
Bumpity Bump.....
As it is very late/early morn in Aus you might not get a decent Aus reply till we all wake up.

As a bit of a flippant reply, I do not know of a single school in Sydney which has 'Grammar' in the title which is not well respected and in the 'top' lot.
Old Jul 29th 2005, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

TracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really nice

Originally Posted by andrewb
My partner has seen two jobs advertised in two schools in Melbourne and having phoned the school, they both seem very interested!!!

Having taught in a rough school in the UK, where they are being polite if they say "F@~* off Miss", rather than just a straight "F$%& o^&" , she only wants to teach in a decent school with kids that want to be there and work!!

The two schools are Donvale Christian College and the other is Caulfield Grammar ay the Caulfield site. We have had a look at the school web sites and results look good and the schools look lovely, but then web sites always do!!!

Please can anyone give us any thoughts on either, good or bad!!!
Hi,

We're off to Melbourne in Nov and have school age children so have been doing plenty of research on the subject.

I don't know anything about Donvale CC, but I know that Caulfield Grammar is a well respected private school and I would guess that they have quite high expectations of their pupils, not only academically, but also respect for their teachers etc.

Hope this helps a bit.

Tracy
Old Jul 29th 2005, 10:08 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

I think both schools have an excellent reputation.
Donvale school is in a very nice area & I can't see the kids at either school swearing at the teachers.
I do like the idea of the school uniforms here, it means the kids are the same & nobody's better than anyone else because they have designer clothes.
Old Jul 29th 2005, 11:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

Schoolsres pdf gives VCE results. Both schools are good.

Schools pdf gives you blurb on gov't schools that take foreign students. Just in case you look at other schools. Your schools are not included.

Sorry, forgot where I got them re URLs.

Ian
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
schoolsres.pdf (106.6 KB, 82 views)
File Type: pdf
schools.pdf (2.15 MB, 2968 views)
Old Jul 30th 2005, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks to all for the help.
Old Jul 30th 2005, 10:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light

Having worked with a colleague in QLD who was previously the Deputy Head at Caulfield Prep I can vouch for the quality of the school.

He was however quite shocked by the behaviour of the boys at one of Queensalnd's finest school - a Great Public School (GPS) and therefore a member of an exclusive fraternity. My understanding, and brief expereince having visited schools in Vic whilst researching IT, is that Melbourne takes academic studies and success a tad more seriously than laid back Qld.

Succesfully applying for jobs will howevr require thorough CV's, evidence of courses a plenty, recent training and the ability to write appication letter addressing all sorts of inane criteria.

Good luck - aim to join you in 12 months

Bezza