Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Schools in Adelaide

Schools in Adelaide

Old Feb 3rd 2007, 3:55 am
you lucky, lucky b'stard!

tomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud of
Default Schools in Adelaide

morning folks

I am looking for a good school in Adelaide for my kids.

My daughter is in first year at high school, and will be in second year when we get to Oz.

My youngest son will be in primary 5 when we get there. But he is dyslexic, and I need a good school that will help him with it.

thanks

t2t
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 5:25 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schools in Adelaide

Originally Posted by tomy2tums
morning folks

I am looking for a good school in Adelaide for my kids.

My daughter is in first year at high school, and will be in second year when we get to Oz.

My youngest son will be in primary 5 when we get there. But he is dyslexic, and I need a good school that will help him with it.

thanks

t2t
Where in Adelaide are you planning to live? The city is very spread out so if you live in Seaford but your daughter goes to school in Golden Grove then it's about 1.5 hours drive each way every day. Can you narrow down at least northern or southern suburbs?
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 7:12 pm

tomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Where in Adelaide are you planning to live? The city is very spread out so if you live in Seaford but your daughter goes to school in Golden Grove then it's about 1.5 hours drive each way every day. Can you narrow down at least northern or southern suburbs?
I was thinking along the lines of a good school first then a nice area to suit.

Where are the nice areas to live. Renting first, then buying/building later...
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 7:48 pm
Loving it in SA

Katsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tomy2tums
I was thinking along the lines of a good school first then a nice area to suit.

Where are the nice areas to live. Renting first, then buying/building later...

check out Adelaide brits my mrs uses this place regular.

And also Adelaide bound is worth a check.

We are looking at adelaide too later on this year but we have got rough idea of where we want to be, and have got someone there already to give us help advice and guidance.
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 8:07 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

It's really hard to say what constitutes good and bad schools. However, for high schools I would stay away from Christies Beach/Noarlunga High, Golden Grove and anything in Elizabeth area. When my daughter was choosing which school to start her high school career in, we asked the principal of her school which were best for academics and which to avoid and he said to defo avoid those listed. There apparently is a lot of gang activity at both Noarlunga and Elizabeth. Don't know why he said Golden Grove, but that's not in our area anyway.
My son has a disorder that makes him a challenge at times and we have found both schools he has been to here very good. He went to Surrey Downs for about 6 weeks while we were in On Arrival Accom and now goes to Klemzig.
What are considered the "better" schools here have waiting lists. I know Adelaide High School is ranked #1 in the state but one of the women I work with tried to get her son in FOR NEXT YEAR and is in the hundreds on the wait list. My daughter should be in the gifted stream and we did apply to Brighton and Glenunga for their gifted programs, but again she is way down on the wait list. Maybe next year she'll get in.
Your other option is to maybe look at private schools. I know lots of people send their kids to private here, although sadly we can't afford to.
Have you been to Adelaide to get a feel for where you would like to live? There are very different vibes in different areas of town and like I said it is very spread out. Think about whether you want beach or hills, north which is established or south which is new and booming?
Good luck.
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 8:13 pm
Loving it in SA

Katsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond repute

It's really hard to say what constitutes good and bad schools. However, for high schools I would stay away from Christies Beach/Noarlunga High, Golden Grove and anything in Elizabeth area. When my daughter was choosing which school to start her high school career in, we asked the principal of her school which were best for academics and which to avoid and he said to defo avoid those listed. There apparently is a lot of gang activity at both Noarlunga and Elizabeth. Don't know why he said Golden Grove, but that's not in our area anyway.
My son has a disorder that makes him a challenge at times and we have found both schools he has been to here very good. He went to Surrey Downs for about 6 weeks while we were in On Arrival Accom and now goes to Klemzig.
What are considered the "better" schools here have waiting lists. I know Adelaide High School is ranked #1 in the state but one of the women I work with tried to get her son in FOR NEXT YEAR and is in the hundreds on the wait list. My daughter should be in the gifted stream and we did apply to Brighton and Glenunga for their gifted programs, but again she is way down on the wait list. Maybe next year she'll get in.
Your other option is to maybe look at private schools. I know lots of people send their kids to private here, although sadly we can't afford to.
Have you been to Adelaide to get a feel for where you would like to live? There are very different vibes in different areas of town and like I said it is very spread out. Think about whether you want beach or hills, north which is established or south which is new and booming?
Good luck.
thank you for that Dorothy we should be moving into the south of Adelaide, and will deffo take note of what you have said.

Not wanting to offend anybody but my mate has said that southside is nicer.
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 8:17 pm
Still alive

We personally found the north to be nicer. There's a lot of graffiti in the south and it seems to lack personality. Just my opinion, so any of the southerners reading, please don't be offended.
There are good and bad sides to everywhere. The suburb I live in is classed as "not so good", but we like it here. It's close to the city, has the bus line on it, lots of parks, etc.
If you are looking for mates when you get here, just give us a call. We're always up for meeting new people.
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

mysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of light

There are many good high schools over here, it is really just a case of checking them out when you arrive, I know that makes things sound less settled but it really is the best way.

Check out the FAQ section of AdelaideBrits - there is a tonne of information in there.

The other thing I really thought I should point out is that high school doesn't start until year 8 here and with children starting school later, it is usual to be around 13 when starting - so dependant on age your daughter may find she has to go back to primary for a bit - happens a lot, but she would still be with kids her own age.

Good luck,

Nikki
xx
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 8:26 pm
Loving it in SA

We personally found the north to be nicer. There's a lot of graffiti in the south and it seems to lack personality. Just my opinion, so any of the southerners reading, please don't be offended.
There are good and bad sides to everywhere. The suburb I live in is classed as "not so good", but we like it here. It's close to the city, has the bus line on it, lots of parks, etc.
If you are looking for mates when you get here, just give us a call. We're always up for meeting new people.
I know that the north is where alot of my potential employers will be based, and we have seen some very nice property in the north.
will deffo giove you a bell when we get there, the more friends we can make the better i think.
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 10:59 pm

thanks folks.

i'll have a look at the Adelaide site too.

I think a wee weeks scouting trip might be needed.....