British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Schools (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/schools-477435/)

MikeSplicer Aug 28th 2007 3:30 pm

Schools

Hi,

I am intending to go over to Aus Next Year after my eldest daughter has completed her GCSE's.

But what would be the best next move for her having completed her GCSE's.

Are there equivelent A level's in Aus?

What would be needed to get into the universitys etc?

Thanks
Mike

scrum Aug 28th 2007 5:21 pm

Re: Schools

Originally Posted by MikeSplicer (Post 5244865)
Hi,

I am intending to go over to Aus Next Year after my eldest daughter has completed her GCSE's.

Thanks
Mike

Check out this link for info on schools in Oz. Other than that I have no advise to give as my two are still in primary.

http://studyinaustralia.gov.au/Sia/e...ToStudy/School

Trish

MikeSplicer Aug 29th 2007 7:24 am

Thanks

NickyC Aug 29th 2007 7:32 am

Hi,

Thanks
Mike

The best place for your daughter would be school to do Year 11 and 12, followed by the Year 12 exams (which are called different things in different states - HSC in NSW, VCR in Vic, OP in QLD etc.). The Year 12 exam results are used to calculate a students rank or position which are then used for University entrance.

MikeSplicer Aug 29th 2007 9:52 am

Originally Posted by NickyC (Post 5247583)
The best place for your daughter would be school to do Year 11 and 12, followed by the Year 12 exams (which are called different things in different states - HSC in NSW, VCR in Vic, OP in QLD etc.). The Year 12 exam results are used to calculate a students rank or position which are then used for University entrance.

She is worried that by doing year 11/12 in Aus she would be repeating the last two years and that would mean the GCSE's she has worked really hard for where meaningless.

sme Aug 29th 2007 9:58 am

Originally Posted by MikeSplicer (Post 5247934)
She is worried that by doing year 11/12 in Aus she would be repeating the last two years and that would mean the GCSE's she has worked really hard for where meaningless.

No it wouldn't be meaningless because although different, years 11 & 12 are more equivilent of years 12 & 13 (old 6th form) in the UK.

MikeSplicer Aug 29th 2007 10:32 am

Originally Posted by sme (Post 5247958)
No it wouldn't be meaningless because although different, years 11 & 12 are more equivilent of years 12 & 13 (old 6th form) in the UK.

Oh Okay that sounds like somthing I can sell to her

chris and farideh Aug 29th 2007 10:51 am

Originally Posted by MikeSplicer (Post 5248106)
Oh Okay that sounds like somthing I can sell to her

My son did 3 months into his A'level when we came here, the school put him into year 11, which he wasnt happy at all, as he found the work too easy, so we got in touch with the dept of education for SA, & we were told that he's GSCE is equivalent to their 11, so we send off he's certificate to be verified.
As it took a bit of time, the school would not move him into year 12 half way through the year, so he'll be doing year 12 next Jan.
If you are coming half way through the australian education year your daughter will stay in year 11.
Hope this information helps you, but they do get a lot of home work for year 11 & 12.

MikeSplicer Aug 29th 2007 4:00 pm

So when does the school year run from and too?

Thanks

Katehn Aug 29th 2007 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by MikeSplicer (Post 5249310)

Thanks

fEBRUARY TO nOVEMBER

chris and farideh Aug 29th 2007 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by MikeSplicer (Post 5249310)

Thanks

It starts end of Jan to mid Dec, depending which state you are moving to, we are in SA.

Amandabee Aug 30th 2007 1:04 am

Also another thought is depending on where you move to, there are a few schools/universities that allow students to do first year uni courses in year 12. I have had a few of my students do this, and especially the ones from the UK, as you say it is a kind of repeat for some of the work.

Smartinis Aug 30th 2007 10:46 am

Hi,

Thanks
Mike

Hi, We've been here two years now and we were in exactly the same position as you when we arrived, our second son had just competed and got excellent GCSE's in the UK and had been looking forward to going to college in the uk then on to uni. His GCSE's although they don't exsist here, (were in Vic by the way) gave him excellent grounding to get into the school of his choice, we chose to go private much against our UK background! He has never looked back and neither has his younger brother! He had reservations before we landed but has loved every minute since then. He took 2 of his year 12 subjects in year 11 (they take 6 overall) as he was ahead of the game over here and did really well this means that he only has to do 4 subjects this year and that gives him far more private study time etc. He is doing REALLY well and seems to be under far less pressure this way than our eldest was doing A levels. (He's now at uni here as well!!) Get your daughter into a good school (depending on where you go, be prepared to pay!) and don't worry, honestly ours wouldn't change it for the world!!