Schools?

Old Nov 25th 2005, 1:12 am
Forum Regular

taylor1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Schools?

A book I found invaluble when deciding my 12 yr olds school was - The good Schools guide by Hobsons, i managed to order online when i was still in the uk it gives information on all types of schools, catholic, private, state, vce scores, prices, activities etc etc.
Old Nov 25th 2005, 1:48 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Schools?

Originally Posted by jad n rich
No 2 is like many UK kids branded as gifted, it seems any kids whos as much as sniffed a UK school book is gifted can the work really be that far ahead. Doesnt anyone else find it strange so many UK kids are gifted ; when they start school here)
I don't think they are; I think that's a load of cobblers.

I lived in Australia for 30 years and worked as a teacher's aide in several multicultural classrooms; not once in all my time did I see any UK kid labelled as "gifted."

This comes as no surprise to me, since...

Source.

See also: An Ofsted report revealed that despite a 'marked improvement' in English standards, many pupils are leaving primary school without basic skills in reading and writing.

So much for British education standards.
    Old Nov 27th 2005, 10:44 pm
    Sand, sea and serenity

Milo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the rough
    Default Re: Schools?

Originally Posted by jad n rich
    I said we have found schools crap, thought it would be taken for granted that I am writing about our opinion not an answer for a forum which has several thousand members.

Our opinion is is based on 3 kids now 19 12 and 8 one over 5 years in OZ and in three totally different parts of australia. Some of the main bugs, teachers we again have had one kid with a year with 4 different teachers, with them going off on compo or stress leave, generally they seem very undedicated and are out the gate usually before the kids.

One child has mild dyslexia, it opened our eyes into how little is done for kids with even the mildest problems. This term hes been taken off the support list (half an hour a week) it took us 2 years to get him on it now hes off again as we have worked with him at home and his school testing proves his reading is better than many in the class without dyslexia

No 2 is like many UK kids branded as gifted, it seems any kids whos as much as sniffed a UK school book is gifted can the work really be that far ahead. Doesnt anyone else find it strange so many UK kids are gifted ; when they start school here) Even tho hes now a genius no extension work is provided.

I think before people knock my opinion, keep in mind its formed over 5 years not 5 minutes, sure the kids are happy as larry and I'm happy about that but to be honest if we moved anywhere overseas we have huge concerns. In their words, they fear they would be dumb and dumber (their assessement of the whole experience not mine :scared: ) and yes that does worry me.

Looks like it has just been circumstances that have formed your opinion of the Australian education system and I can see why that has happened.

Although I can't agree that UK kids are any brainier than Australian kids to be honest, the children attending the schools my children go to are very competive in all subjects, especially in high school where they give out prizes for achieving a first place in each subject.

I do know that a survey of Queensland kids entering the University system in NSW has caused a bit of a stir recently (sorry to anyone living in Queensland ) as they have found they have lower skills in Maths and English, now I don't know how true this is it was just a piece in the Daily Telegraph I read the other day. It might highlight the differences in education between the states though.