Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Schooling in Toowoomba,QLD?

Schooling in Toowoomba,QLD?

Old Dec 20th 2012, 10:28 pm
Just Joined

tinx73 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Schooling in Toowoomba,QLD?

Hi just moved to Toowoomba,am looking for advice on what school years my children will be going into...my son is 14(August birthday) had just started yr 10 in UK,am looking at him going to Toowoomba State high,Wilsonton as this seems to be closest? my elder daughter is 18 & has finished high school in UK,she wants to continue her education here & go onto teaching,what are her options,would she go back to high school to do her GCSE equivalents here or onto college?? also what are the qualifications here i.e. do they have gcse/A level equivalents??
any advice/info would be very much appreciated,as I'm finding it all very confusing Thanks Claire
Old Dec 21st 2012, 3:18 am
HMP Queensland

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schooling in Toowoomba,QLD?

Originally Posted by tinx73 View Post
Hi just moved to Toowoomba,am looking for advice on what school years my children will be going into...my son is 14(August birthday) had just started yr 10 in UK,am looking at him going to Toowoomba State high,Wilsonton as this seems to be closest? my elder daughter is 18 & has finished high school in UK,she wants to continue her education here & go onto teaching,what are her options,would she go back to high school to do her GCSE equivalents here or onto college?? also what are the qualifications here i.e. do they have gcse/A level equivalents??
any advice/info would be very much appreciated,as I'm finding it all very confusing Thanks Claire
Contact the poster Jen1977NI for a start - teacher based in Toowoomba
Old Dec 21st 2012, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

Bonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really nice

Originally Posted by tinx73 View Post
Hi

Welcome to Toowoomba

I would agree that your son would probably want to go into Year 10 in January 2013. My son was 17 in September and has just finished Grade 12 at Centenary Heights State High School.

I'm not terribly familiar with the schools over the northern end of town but, just from the stuff I have heard, I would have thought that you should look at Mt Lofty as a possibility. Perhaps the best thing would be to contact Wilsonton and Mt Lofty now and see whether you can arrange to go and look around both in the first week of term in Jan 2013 and see which school you and your son prefer. I am sure it won't matter if he starts say a week into the term.

With regard to your daughter I would suggest that she contact the University of Southern Queensland and see what they would require from a student who has been through High School overseas. I am sure that your daughter is not going to want to go back to High School here - presumably she has done her A levels?

The exams they do here in Grade 12 are very different from the UK (and very confusing if you ask me!)

Hope that helps
Old Dec 21st 2012, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

fromthetoon is just really nicefromthetoon is just really nicefromthetoon is just really nicefromthetoon is just really nicefromthetoon is just really nicefromthetoon is just really nicefromthetoon is just really nicefromthetoon is just really nice

Hi, We've spoken before. Welcome to T-bar. I would recommend Concordia Lutheran College. They are very relaxed and liberal when it comes to religion but an excellent school. Give them a ring after the NY and ask to be shown around. There are quite a few Brits working and being educated there.9/10

The year 12 exams run similar to BTEC courses i.e. assignment basedhe, although they do a Maths and English exam. Their grades are added up to give them an overall score (called an OP) which often determines what they can do at Uni. Contact the Uni's. UQ for example.

Last edited by fromthetoon; Dec 21st 2012 at 12:08 pm.
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

If your daughter has done A levels you can be given an OP equivalent, I think it is QTAC that do it from memory.
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 7:58 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fromthetoon View Post
Hi, We've spoken before. Welcome to T-bar. I would recommend Concordia Lutheran College. They are very relaxed and liberal when it comes to religion but an excellent school. Give them a ring after the NY and ask to be shown around. There are quite a few Brits working and being educated there.9/10

The year 12 exams run similar to BTEC courses i.e. assignment basedhe, although they do a Maths and English exam. Their grades are added up to give them an overall score (called an OP) which often determines what they can do at Uni. Contact the Uni's. UQ for example.
You're not biased or anything are you, considering you work at Concordia Toon lol I did some TA work at Mt Lofty when we first arrived in TW and to be honest, it was ok, but if I'd a choice, I'd prefer to send a child to Centenary, in saying that you're maybe out of their catchment? Not sure where you are in the city.

Hope you're settling well, we just left TW on the 14th December, missing it already, it'll always hold a special place in my heart and the people there are amazing! Any advice you need, just ask xxx
Old Dec 26th 2012, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

fromthetoon is just really nicefromthetoon is just really nicefromthetoon is just really nicefromthetoon is just really nicefromthetoon is just really nicefromthetoon is just really nicefromthetoon is just really nicefromthetoon is just really nice

Of course I'm biased Jen but it is a great school. I agree though, if it's a state school, Centenary is probably the best choice.
Can't believe you've gone and we never cought up for a drink.
Best of luck in your new pad.
Old Dec 26th 2012, 9:44 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fromthetoon View Post
Of course I'm biased Jen but it is a great school. I agree though, if it's a state school, Centenary is probably the best choice.
Can't believe you've gone and we never cought up for a drink.
Best of luck in your new pad.
I invited you to come running, several times!!! lol