Reload this Page >

Schooling in QLD.

Schooling in QLD.

Old Nov 21st 2013, 10:27 pm
nmm
2 months until the move

nmm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Schooling in QLD.

First off apologies. I know there is a lot of threads on this topic, but can't quite find what I'm looking for.

In the UK more people than not go to 'state' schools. Only the wealthy send their children to 'private' schools having to pay for their education.

I'm aware in Australia it's a little different, with 'private' (non-state) schools being more affordable and a more popular choice than in the UK.

But why? Is there anything wrong with state schools? Are the 'private' schools so much better? What sort of costs are we looking at (in Brisbane)?

I have three children, aged: 7, 6 and 5 so all three will be in primary school when we emigrate in Jan 2014.

What's the thoughts/experience of people with regard to whether you go state school for primary and then private for secondary school?

We are probably classed as a 'middle income family' and so cost, especially as it is 'times three' comes into play, but if it makes such a difference at an affordable price then it might require consideration.

Generally,what do people do? Not sure whether I should be considering private schools in my analysis/research/preparation in the big move to Brisbane.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I'm aware of the websites that have ranked the schools so can use them to help me identify schools, once i have a good understanding of what is the norm and my realistic options.

Thanks, in advance
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

pome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Schooling in QLD.

Stop apologising ... isn't this what the web sites for?lol. hey bud first you'll find a job . then you'll get a mortgage I suppose get a car or two the you'll find the best school for the munchkins as close as possible for mum???.

this is how 90% of us start up. We lived in Kenmore when we first came over as its a middle class suburb great school ect.we live in north lakes now ,more for your money new new new ect. my youngest didn't transition well .huge school, lots of new kids all trying hard to fit in .He got lost somewhere along the line .Don't get me wrong great school very new ,high standards but big classes. We went for the middle ground ,not private but catholic. private feel about it fees ect high goals and standards for the kids but half the expense. southern cross catholic college ? come n have a look,
I can only speak for my son though its horses for courses sometimes. southern cross takes kids from five right through to when they finish www.sccc.qld.edu.au Un fortunately my son is no academic but since the move has gone from a c- student to b plus in two years .... love it .
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Plenty of people send their kids to state primary and private high schools, it would probably be the most common option.

I don't have any first hand knowledge of schools in Brisbane as I live in Sydney but my kids went to private primary and high schools. Private schools - certainly around here - have better facilities, more rigidly enforced discipline, and (usually) better Year 12 results than the equivalent state schools.
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

skinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really nice

Cost was the issue with Us on arrival South of Brisbane in 2008. Eldest child was 11 and youngest 8. Found a good State Primary school recommended to Us by a local. And State High school was down to geography and some positive opinions. More than happy with results so far. We found a rental in the catchment area for the school and even bought in the area to eliminate disruption in the boys education. Plenty of research and you should be ok.
Old Nov 24th 2013, 11:46 pm
Forum Regular

indiana is an unknown quantity at this point

There are some really good state schools, get some feedback, join some fb groups etc. and find what really goes on, you might be surprised!

Visit schools to have a look and drive past at starting and finishing times, this will definitely give you either a good or bad feeling for them.

We couldn't afford private, and the state school in our catchment would have been fine if my 8 year old smoked, took drugs, swore and didn't wear shoes, so there was no way he was going there, i would have rather home schooled (which is popular here), so we opted for catholic, not everyones choice and really wasn't mine initially, however its all worked out well, the boys love the school and are doing well.

Its funny because in this weeks school newsletter from the principal he is kind of slating English schools, and the english education system, (he's just back from a trip to europe), where he visited Eton and Westminster school and also other poor deprived state schools! I didn't actually recognise what he was writing because I thought our English school was far better than anything i've seen here, maybe we just got lucky!
Old Nov 27th 2013, 7:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute

It will be luck of the draw, don't be surprised if you find an overwhelming desire to get your child out of the state system.
Old Nov 27th 2013, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light

Just for a context - typical figures for the UK are 7% of pupils are boarding/at boarding school and 12% at private school.

In Australia in excess of 35% of schools are private - more so in some areas. However there are different strata of schools from low fee typically Christian Schools to high fee school (A$ 50,000) for boarding education.

It really does depend what you want but expect a broader curriculum with more focus on continual assessment.
Old Nov 28th 2013, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute

Why would 35% of children end up in private education, actually it's not rocket science to work out why.

The head teacher and governors can control what goes on in their school and the parents either pay up or go else where if they don't like it. In the public system they are powerless to deal with parents and children with "issues", teachers become jaded and leave and head teachers play politics.

Last edited by neil248; Nov 28th 2013 at 8:51 am.
Old Dec 1st 2013, 4:59 am
Forum Regular

pome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by neil248
Why would 35% of children end up in private education, actually it's not rocket science to work out why.

The head teacher and governors can control what goes on in their school and the parents either pay up or go else where if they don't like it. In the public system they are powerless to deal with parents and children with "issues", teachers become jaded and leave and head teachers play politics.
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

But Hey this is QLD, always with a surprise and the government provides The Queensland Academies, state schools but not quite as you know it so there is hope if your kid wants to learn.
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nmm
First off apologies. I know there is a lot of threads on this topic, but can't quite find what I'm looking for.

In the UK more people than not go to 'state' schools. Only the wealthy send their children to 'private' schools having to pay for their education.

I'm aware in Australia it's a little different, with 'private' (non-state) schools being more affordable and a more popular choice than in the UK.

But why? Is there anything wrong with state schools? Are the 'private' schools so much better? What sort of costs are we looking at (in Brisbane)?

I have three children, aged: 7, 6 and 5 so all three will be in primary school when we emigrate in Jan 2014.

What's the thoughts/experience of people with regard to whether you go state school for primary and then private for secondary school?

We are probably classed as a 'middle income family' and so cost, especially as it is 'times three' comes into play, but if it makes such a difference at an affordable price then it might require consideration.

Generally,what do people do? Not sure whether I should be considering private schools in my analysis/research/preparation in the big move to Brisbane.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I'm aware of the websites that have ranked the schools so can use them to help me identify schools, once i have a good understanding of what is the norm and my realistic options.

Thanks, in advance
I went through all this 3 years ago. For primary in particular all you need to do is pick the right state school. Primary schools in Rainworth, Bardon, Ashgrove, Ascot and a couple of others all get excellent results.

My kids went to The Gap Primary and have transitioned back into one of the feeders to the best state school in Scotland absolutely fine.

Dumplings will still fail at Private schools and geniuses will still succeed at state schools.
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light

It really does depend what you are used to. There is no doubt that there are some excellent state schools in Australia, as there are in the UK. Equally, there are some quite shocking schools in both countries.

You wouldn't buy a house without doing a full survey and realistically it's the same in choosing a school.

That said, to some extent, you get what you pay for and in some of the private schools the facilities are hugely impressive.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

GAZZA77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bezzanbob
It really does depend what you are used to. There is no doubt that there are some excellent state schools in Australia, as there are in the UK. Equally, there are some quite shocking schools in both countries.

You wouldn't buy a house without doing a full survey and realistically it's the same in choosing a school.

That said, to some extent, you get what you pay for and in some of the private schools the facilities are hugely impressive.
Hi All
We will be heading out to sunshine coast soon and have still got to sort out what my 17 year old daughter will do either year 12 or college as most people say year 11 and 12 should be done together. Any help on this please

Thanks

Gary
Old Jan 6th 2014, 9:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GAZZA77
Hi All
We will be heading out to sunshine coast soon and have still got to sort out what my 17 year old daughter will do either year 12 or college as most people say year 11 and 12 should be done together. Any help on this please

Thanks

Gary
She really does have to do yrs 11&12 - any chance she could stay and finish A levels? They travel quite well for uni entrance. At 17 she is going to be quite a bit older than her yr 11 cohort so if she does do yrs 11/12 she might be better doing it at TAFE.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by quoll
She really does have to do yrs 11&12 - any chance she could stay and finish A levels? They travel quite well for uni entrance. At 17 she is going to be quite a bit older than her yr 11 cohort so if she does do yrs 11/12 she might be better doing it at TAFE.
plus her friend base will be bigger once shes settled in

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.