Schooling in oz

Old May 4th 2016, 7:05 am
Just Joined

ashba88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Schooling in oz

Hi everyone. My partner and I are just at the very beginning of our process to move to Australia with our two kids. We are hoping to go to Perth. I have a four year old daughter and was wondering can we register her for school whilst still in the UK or do we have to be in oz before we can register here? Thanks in advance 😊
Old May 4th 2016, 11:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schooling in oz

Why would you even need to register her for school if you have only just started the process? Anyway I expect you could for a private school but am almost certain that no not for a state school.
Old May 4th 2016, 11:25 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

At the age of four you're looking at kindy and whilst the catchment area has to provide a place in school, that does not apply until year 1.
Old May 4th 2016, 11:35 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Why would you even need to register her for school if you have only just started the process? Anyway I expect you could for a private school but am almost certain that no not for a state school.
Thanks for your reply. I'm not looking to register at this moment in time. I was only wondering if it was an easy enough process once we do go.
Old May 4th 2016, 1:30 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ashba88
Thanks for your reply. I'm not looking to register at this moment in time. I was only wondering if it was an easy enough process once we do go.
The short answer would be no. How would you even know what school to register her in? You could register her in a school in Mandurah but end up living in Yanchep - a distance of over 120 km but still in "Perth".
http://www.countrywide.com.au/maps/img/metromap_lg.jpg
Old May 4th 2016, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dorothy
The short answer would be no. How would you even know what school to register her in? You could register her in a school in Mandurah but end up living in Yanchep - a distance of over 120 km but still in "Perth".
http://www.countrywide.com.au/maps/img/metromap_lg.jpg
I actually know what part of Perth I am going to as my aunt lives there.
Old May 4th 2016, 1:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

So you're going to live with your aunt permanently? In that case the answer is still no, they like to see you and to have verification that your accommodation is permanent. It doesn't matter anyway because Australian schools have a defined catchment area and they are obliged to find a place for a child living in that area so you can rock up on a Monday and have the kid in class by morning tea (schools usually do ask for a couple of days grace to plan class placement, find a desk etc but in theory it is possible). I wouldn't be sweating it and I certainly wouldn't be enrolling a child in a school I have never seen - nothing beats the eyeball test!
Old May 8th 2016, 12:27 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Given you've only just started the process, you have no idea what year your child would be in once you get here (if you get here). However even if you were coming next week, there's no way I'd register my child until I've set foot in the school and checked it out for myself with my eyes.
Old May 12th 2016, 12:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Private school? You may be four years too late.