British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   schooling in newcastle area (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/schooling-newcastle-area-663176/)

ozhopeful Apr 8th 2010 6:57 pm

schooling in newcastle area

My little girl will be strarting school at the next intake (i assume that's Jan.. is it?) and we're looking at a move to the newcastle area.

i'm hoping to get some advice about schooling in the area, we're resigned to having to pay for schooling as we're on a 457 but wanted some further advice

are schools allocated by zones, does anyone have any recommendations or any ones to steer clear of?

basically any experience you'd care to share as this is the area that I'm most stressed about

thanks

grant

Ruskee Apr 9th 2010 12:34 am

Re: schooling in newcastle area

There are a lot of good public schools in the Newcastle area and generally speaking they seem to operate on a zone based catchment similar to the UK but with more flexibility to access schools outside of the immediate area.

Not all schools will enforce the temporary resident fees and it seems to be at the discretion of the principle. A number of people on 457s have never been asked to pay a cent despite offering to pay prior to enrollment.

I can't comment on which ones to avoid and to be honest I've not heard any real horror stories about any of the junior schools but obviously they will in part reflect the sociodemographic nature of the areas.

New Lambton Heights Infants school is absolutely delightful. (Kindy to year 2, only 60 kids). We have a daughter there now and another starting next year.

TheRutters Apr 9th 2010 2:17 am

Originally Posted by Ruskee (Post 8483017)
There are a lot of good public schools in the
Not all schools will enforce the temporary resident fees and it seems to be at the discretion of the principle. A number of people on 457s have never been asked to pay a cent despite offering to pay prior to enrollment.

I'm afraid that's not correct. The fees are levied by the State Government and not the school. By state law, the school should not accept the child on its role until the payment has been receipted by the Education Dept.

$4500pa for Primary and $5500pa for Secondary education. The headmaster cannot waive the fees.

Ruskee Apr 9th 2010 2:26 am

Originally Posted by TheRutters (Post 8483191)
I'm afraid that's not correct. The fees are levied by the State Government and not the school. By state law, the school should not accept the child on its role until the payment has been receipted by the Education Dept.

$4500pa for Primary and $5500pa for Secondary education. The headmaster cannot waive the fees.

Technically and legally I'm sure you are correct but the reality is somewhat different

TheRutters Apr 9th 2010 1:37 pm

I'd love to know where as it hasn't been my experience over the last thirty grand. Is it something you've had experience of or something you have heard of?