Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Schooling issue QLD/Brisbane

Schooling issue QLD/Brisbane

Old Apr 29th 2009, 2:00 am
Forum Regular

FrankB is just really niceFrankB is just really niceFrankB is just really niceFrankB is just really niceFrankB is just really niceFrankB is just really niceFrankB is just really niceFrankB is just really nice
Default Schooling issue QLD/Brisbane

Hey Folks,

Need an advice on a school issue.

My son was at prep and now is at grade 1 at a primary state school in Brisbane. Obviously during prep the emphasis was on playing and typical handcraft skills like painting and so on. Before we came to Qld we lived in Dubai for a while and sent our son to a Montessori School. The level there was probably a little bit higher level like prep here (in terms of grade) but they already taught reading, writing and basic maths. At the end of that year our son was able to read simple texts, write simple words and did all 4 basic maths.

However, we came to Qld and realized that prep is like more a kindergarten. It was fine to us because we’ve been told that all the basic stuff will start at grade 1 again. Now, our son is at grade 1 since 4 months and they’re still painting and doing handcraft stuff. It is nice to see that painting get more and more professional and I am already thinking of selling the pictures ;-)

But seriously, I am concerned of what they are teaching and how they do it. Our son brings books with him every week to read them at home. I realized that sometimes he still has difficulties to read the (basic) stuff because he simply doesn’t know the letters or words. My impression is that he still lives on things he learnt at the school in Dubai and the level of development here is very limited in regards to reading, writing and so on. I also have never seen anything related to maths so far. My fear is that we as parents need to teach them at home after school and the teacher expects us to bring our son to a certain level?

We went to see the teacher and asked for teaching program or a plan describing the targets at the end of grade 1 the kids should know. She said, they don’t have a progam like that and we shouldn’t be too worried because they’ll pick up all that in term 2 of grade 1.

Honestly, I am seriously concerned about the quality of teaching and the professionalism behind it! I am not one of the parents who push the kids all time. I think kids should play and explore as many stuff they can but on the other hand they should start with the basics to the ball started. I am also happy to teach at home to a certain extend or to explain as much as he likes to know but to my mind the basic stuff should be done at school!?

I’d appreciate if you can give me some feedback on this if it is the normal way schools teach the kids here in Qld and do they really don’t have a teaching and target programs in place? May private PRIMARY schools do different, i.e. it is worth to pay the money for more outcomes (we’ve been told that there won’t be any difference between state and private schools at primary level?)?

Your views on this would be great!

Frank
Old Apr 29th 2009, 2:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schooling issue QLD/Brisbane

Hi

Can't comment on schooling in Qld but I have found it very different here in Tas.

As you said, it's hard to pin the teachers down on the actual curriculum and it appears very loose to me! My daughter is now in Yr 7 and isn't even doing science, (when in the UK, she had this twice a week, one theory and one practical lesson) maths and literacy are not done as a daily task either.

On the plus side, she plays golf twice a week, is learning bushcraft, has music twice a week and plays on the computer a lot

Really not sure what to make of it all, I was glad to leave behind the pressure that I felt was being put on her at her previous school in the UK but we seem to have gone to the other extreme now.

Sam
Old Apr 29th 2009, 2:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

My kids have been to school in Brisbane and are currently being schooled in Dubai. My kids got a much higher level and more rounded education in Brisbane than they get here.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 2:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

My eldest started at a state school in Brisbane and then went to a private girls school near the city. There's a huge difference in the time put into each individual child and the facilities available to them.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 2:57 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

In speaking to people in general here and my wife (who is an Aussie) there are certain things that just do not seem to be taught in QLD (don't know about Aus in general). My wife has no idea about any history outside of the confines of Australian borders, she has no idea about geography in any way and science is the same.

Now my wife was a top of the class person in all subjects but she claims they just didn't teach a lot of that sort of stuff and she went to an independent all girls private school!

I do find that in talking to the average Aussie that they do not seem to have much of an idea about why certain things are happening in the world right now, compared to the average Brit.

In some ways I find Aus very insular in its teachings, much in the same way that the US has been famous for.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 3:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

We are not in QLD, but hubby is primary teacher and have kids.

We too noticed huge difference in early years here in Australia. Even worse if your kids previously went to International Schools or Schools that were fairly academic.

Our first school the kids found the work way too easy.

My youngest is already learning to read and write at home with her dad. As we feel she is ready.

However my eldest is in Year 12 and found high school (fee paying) has been fine. Although he seams more world wise than his friends.

Your not alone in finding Early years here more of a creche.

Gems
Old Apr 29th 2009, 3:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
In speaking to people in general here and my wife (who is an Aussie) there are certain things that just do not seem to be taught in QLD (don't know about Aus in general). My wife has no idea about any history outside of the confines of Australian borders, she has no idea about geography in any way and science is the same.

Now my wife was a top of the class person in all subjects but she claims they just didn't teach a lot of that sort of stuff and she went to an independent all girls private school!

I do find that in talking to the average Aussie that they do not seem to have much of an idea about why certain things are happening in the world right now, compared to the average Brit.

In some ways I find Aus very insular in its teachings, much in the same way that the US has been famous for.
I was taught a lot more world history than Australian history in my schooling in Brisbane. And geography and science. What school did she go to - so I can make sure I don't send my kids there Top in every class and didn't learn science. Hmmmmm, I think claims is the operative word here...

I met lots of people in the UK who had no idea of world affairs, even the one's taking place right next door - even met one guy with his family in Lagos who didn't know what country he was in - just pointed at the brochure and said I want to go there obviously.

Just like here it totally depended on the demographic - most of my friends here in Brisbane all travel and are interested in the world - I found I mixed with a broader variety of people in the UK as a outsider than I would have at home - so even though I met a lot of British who didn't know, or care, much about anywhere else, I know there was another demographic tucked away somewhere that did. Now I know why I didn't meet them - they were all on PIO

Last edited by fish.01; Apr 29th 2009 at 4:18 am.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 4:04 am
Forum Regular

mrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nice

That's odd she said there were no targets. Of course there are. Check out:

http://www.qsa.qld.edu.au/learning/7296.html also, try the Early Years Curriculum Guidelines for Queensland
Old Apr 29th 2009, 4:46 am
Forum Regular

FrankB is just really niceFrankB is just really niceFrankB is just really niceFrankB is just really niceFrankB is just really niceFrankB is just really niceFrankB is just really niceFrankB is just really nice

Quite frankly, that's all shocking to me!!!

They won't have geographic, science, literacy, etc. at school? How do they expect them to grow up to young adults with a wider understanding and a sound judgement?
I am very very shocked by the response I got so far ... and must admit, it is all my fault. Before we came to Oz I did a research on life quality, work, life costs ... all that stuff but left out school for the kids.

Originally Posted by mrsridge
That's odd she said there were no targets. Of course there are. Check out:

http://www.qsa.qld.edu.au/learning/7296.html also, try the Early Years Curriculum Guidelines for Queensland
I looked at the link and thank you very much for this. But even there they refer to maths quite good but no language, writing, reading and so on but not even a trace for science and geographic ... very disappointing.

So, another move will come up in one or two years because I am feeling responsible for a comprehensive education of my kids ... certainly the response improves my understanding of the qld society and why they sometimes act as they do (just look at the news)

Thanks for all that!
Frank
Old Apr 29th 2009, 5:07 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FrankB
Quite frankly, that's all shocking to me!!!

They won't have geographic, science, literacy, etc. at school? How do they expect them to grow up to young adults with a wider understanding and a sound judgement?

I looked at the link and thank you very much for this. But even there they refer to maths quite good but no language, writing, reading and so on but not even a trace for science and geographic ... very disappointing.
Of course they do geography, science, literacy in schools (even in Queensland ).

It's unlikely that kids of primary age will do much science - I certainly did none whatever in the UK until high school age. However History and Geography at primary level is included in a catch-all area called Human Society and its Environments/Studies of Society or something similar.

And as for Literacy - what do you think they do in English?

I think you need to go back and check out the links given a bit more thoroughly. Particularly the essential learning for Years 1-9 http://www.qsa.qld.edu.au/learning/7261.html - where all the topics you've mentioned are covered.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 5:43 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01

I met lots of people in the UK who had no idea of world affairs, even the one's taking place right next door - even met one guy with his family in Lagos who didn't know what country he was in - just pointed at the brochure and said I want to go there obviously.
so you're saying that a guy decided to go to the great holidaying destination of Nigeria and didn't know what country he was in? hmmmmmmm, I smell BS
Old Apr 29th 2009, 6:14 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

I suppose it varies quite a bit depending on the school you're at. I've been filling in as a teachers aide at my daughters state school the past two weeks. This is also in the Brisbane area (Bayside to be precise).

The grade 1 classes I have been in have been reading simple books, making sentences, learning about punctuation and working on basic numeracy (numbers in order forwards and backwards). I have yet to see them do any sort of painting and crafts although I do only see them during the times they are working on literacy and numeracy which is at least an hour a day or more.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 6:26 am
Forum Regular

leftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really nice

so you're saying that a guy decided to go to the great holidaying destination of Nigeria and didn't know what country he was in? hmmmmmmm, I smell BS

Don't all australians smell of BS...
Old Apr 29th 2009, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

flodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really nice

I had a similar problem when my twins went to a fantastic Montessori Nursery. They went to reception then on to year 1 and actually regressed in their learning. They left the nursery reading three letter words and had basic math abilities. Then entered reception in a very good school in which they basically played. Once they entered year 1 and did'nt progress I questioned the system. I was told they had learning difficulties with phonics. This was in England.

They both progressed to middle school caught up and indeed over took their peers and ended up top in english in middle school in the UK. Now they are in Aus (year 6) and doing well the curriculum is comparable to the uk I am comparing the first term in uk year 6 to the first term year 6 in aus (because they did both c/o term time differences) They are being far more challenged in maths, Science is comparable, as is English. Overall I am very happy.

I would also like to agree with fish 01 and add, I went to school in Aus (Queensland). I moved to England after completing year 12, and went on to uni. My professors often commented on my rounded education. We certainly learnt international geography and history up to year 9 ( I did'nt choose these as subjects after that because I was science based)

I think in general schools around the world vary and you just need to do your research before enrolling your children in school no matter where you live.

best of luck
Old Apr 29th 2009, 7:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

No. It was actually the great holiday destination of Lagos, Portugal. You know...the one that all the Brits go to. Early forties, had wife and 2 kids, very friendly, chatty, seemed sane, but had no clue (or interest in) where he was....which wasn't good because we met him due to sharing his table for the pub quiz. We didn't win.

Became clearer months later when I met my future English travel agent wife who often relayed stories of the level of "some" of her brochure holiday customers knowledge and interest in the world.

I do not judge the whole of the UK on these experiences as I know there are many switched on, interested and traveled people in the UK. I think this is evidenced by the large leap in the number of backpackers from the UK and Ireland arriving in Australia in the last decade. There might now be just as many coming from the UK as we have always sent there. This is great. But in both countries there is a percentage who never go anywhere and sometimes that's circumstance and sometimes lack of interest and sometimes lack of interest due to circumstance.

Last edited by fish.01; Apr 29th 2009 at 7:57 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.