Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Schooling and ages

Schooling and ages

Old Aug 17th 2006, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

nicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Schooling and ages

Hi everyone

After being here a week we have enrolled my son into a fab school on the gold coast in Tallebudgera. He starts on monday and it will take him all the way through to year 12. He is 7 about to turn 8 at the end of august. After an hour interview they finally decided he had cracked the nod and it was then up to both the head of primary and us to decide what year to put him in. He was the youngest in his class in the UK and has just completed year 3. He struggled being the youngest with his concentration as he is quite immature and only an average student according to his teachers and his y2 sats. The head mentioned his work level was perfect year 3 and that even though most kids would be 15 mnths and more older than him we could if we wanted slot him in there and he would be more than happy with that. I really didnt want him to be with older kids. I was worried about the future and also how a big immigration move might affect him if he was struggling in school as well. After around an hour the head and we all agreed the best would be to slot him in his age group and let him coast a bit at school if necessary. My youngest son turned 4 on the 22nd of june and even though the cut off date for prep in queensland is june 30 he has to sit an interview test on monday upon which the head will decide if he is ready for prep in Jan. I dont know about state schools but the head did say he had already turned down around 8 boys who where born betweeen april and june as they just werent ready for school yet. Meaning they where still wanting to play etc.

I just thought other people may find this info helpful. Also I would defo go with your gut instinct. At first fin didnt want to go back to year 2 but once I explained there was no homework compared to 30min a night of year 3 and then 45min a night after xmas in year 4 he quickly decided year 2 sounded great.LOL

Anyway aus is great, queensland is hot the kids are in the pool and sea everyday. The place is beautiful no litter no smoking everywhere and everyone is so friendly.

good luck to everyone on the way. ITS worth it.

NIcola
Old Aug 17th 2006, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

tony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nice
Default Re: Schooling and ages

Originally Posted by nicola411
Hi everyone

After being here a week we have enrolled my son into a fab school on the gold coast in Tallebudgera. He starts on monday and it will take him all the way through to year 12. He is 7 about to turn 8 at the end of august. After an hour interview they finally decided he had cracked the nod and it was then up to both the head of primary and us to decide what year to put him in. He was the youngest in his class in the UK and has just completed year 3. He struggled being the youngest with his concentration as he is quite immature and only an average student according to his teachers and his y2 sats. The head mentioned his work level was perfect year 3 and that even though most kids would be 15 mnths and more older than him we could if we wanted slot him in there and he would be more than happy with that. I really didnt want him to be with older kids. I was worried about the future and also how a big immigration move might affect him if he was struggling in school as well. After around an hour the head and we all agreed the best would be to slot him in his age group and let him coast a bit at school if necessary. My youngest son turned 4 on the 22nd of june and even though the cut off date for prep in queensland is june 30 he has to sit an interview test on monday upon which the head will decide if he is ready for prep in Jan. I dont know about state schools but the head did say he had already turned down around 8 boys who where born betweeen april and june as they just werent ready for school yet. Meaning they where still wanting to play etc.

I just thought other people may find this info helpful. Also I would defo go with your gut instinct. At first fin didnt want to go back to year 2 but once I explained there was no homework compared to 30min a night of year 3 and then 45min a night after xmas in year 4 he quickly decided year 2 sounded great.LOL

Anyway aus is great, queensland is hot the kids are in the pool and sea everyday. The place is beautiful no litter no smoking everywhere and everyone is so friendly.

good luck to everyone on the way. ITS worth it.

NIcola
hi, me oh and two kids are looking to move to perth in new yr but the way prices are going up, im not so sure. cos i have a friend in perth things seem not so bad, ie he knows wot schools, suburbs etc are best. its just abit more daunting starting from scratch if we were to try qland. we live in a village in uk that sort of lifestyle would suit us. any info would be great.
regards tony