Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

School Years - Help!!

School Years - Help!!

Old Oct 11th 2006, 7:12 pm
Pam
Forum Regular

Pam is a jewel in the roughPam is a jewel in the roughPam is a jewel in the roughPam is a jewel in the rough
Question School Years - Help!!

I've just been looking at the Queensland Government website to check about school ages, and am totally confused! I have a daughter in Yr 5 (born Jul 97) and a son in Yr 1 (born Oct 00). We plan to arrive in Jan 07. What Years will they go into??
Old Oct 11th 2006, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of
Default Re: School Years - Help!!

If it's the same as Victoria July 07 is Grade 3 (Grade 4 from February) and October 00 is Prep now and Grade 1 from February.

I was worried my daughter, same age as your eldest, wouldn't finish till a couple of years after UK but it doesn't seem to work out that way and have been asking a neighbour all sorts of questions. She says that Year 11 and 12 are their qualifying years where they do their VCE before they go onto Uni or TAFE if that's what they decide. They should be 18 when that happens. If they leave at 16 which is discouraged they can't get a qualification like our GCSE's.

If anyone has any other spin on it it'll be great to read it here.
Old Oct 11th 2006, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pam
I've just been looking at the Queensland Government website to check about school ages, and am totally confused! I have a daughter in Yr 5 (born Jul 97) and a son in Yr 1 (born Oct 00). We plan to arrive in Jan 07. What Years will they go into??
You know Pam, I have done exactly the same thing. I also emailed them the day before yesterday to two different websites and I recieved the auto response of someone will get back to me and I still havent heard anything.

I do find it quite frustrating that I cant get a straight answer from the education dept. I also emailed mountain creek school a couple of months ago for them to not respond too!!

If you find out can you give me a shout too then Pam??!!!
Old Oct 11th 2006, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flip
If it's the same as Victoria July 07 is Grade 3 (Grade 4 from February) and October 00 is Prep now and Grade 1 from February.

I was worried my daughter, same age as your eldest, wouldn't finish till a couple of years after UK but it doesn't seem to work out that way and have been asking a neighbour all sorts of questions. She says that Year 11 and 12 are their qualifying years where they do their VCE before they go onto Uni or TAFE if that's what they decide. They should be 18 when that happens. If they leave at 16 which is discouraged they can't get a qualification like our GCSE's.

If anyone has any other spin on it it'll be great to read it here.
But year 11 in UK is 16yr olds??? does that mean they leave at 17 in australia??? really really confused. Not sure what is available for our 16yr old when we get over, he wants to eventually go to uni and so needs an a-level equivalent really as he will be going to uni in the UK in a couple of years time.
Old Oct 12th 2006, 12:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Pam: Have a look at this link to work out what year your kids will be in. http://education.qld.gov.au/etrf/prep.html

I agree with Flip though year 3 and prep, moving up next school year.

Cath & Paul: This link may help http://education.qld.gov.au/etrf/senior.html
Old Oct 12th 2006, 12:24 am
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CathnPaul
But year 11 in UK is 16yr olds??? does that mean they leave at 17 in australia??? really really confused. Not sure what is available for our 16yr old when we get over, he wants to eventually go to uni and so needs an a-level equivalent really as he will be going to uni in the UK in a couple of years time.
I was born July 78 and went to school here in Aus, and I was 17 when I finished year 12.
In Queensland, completing year 10 gives you a Junior Certificate, and year 12 give you a Senior Certificate. When I went back to the UK, my Senior Certificate was recognised as A Levels.
Hope this helps!
J
Old Oct 12th 2006, 1:05 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Depends on when their birthday is as cut off is usually end of April. Also many kids repeat years or skip years depending on their development but commonly 17 and 18 are ages for Grades 11 & 12.

He could consider studying International Baccalaureate as well as or instead of VCE as that is studied in UK and all over the world too and is a high level equivalent of VCE and Alevels. Many private schools do this but not many public schools over here.
Old Oct 12th 2006, 1:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pam
In queensland Grade 5 for the 97 child grade 2 for the 00 child.

Very different form victoria, wonderful if you move interstate there are 9 different ecucation systems. It is confusing, and those starting ages would not apply to kids born after 2001 the system for them is different, its just changed as qld introduces prep.
Old Oct 12th 2006, 2:38 am
Forum Regular

Jarvl will become famous soon enoughJarvl will become famous soon enough

You know Pam, I have done exactly the same thing. I also emailed them the day before yesterday to two different websites and I recieved the auto response of someone will get back to me and I still havent heard anything.

I do find it quite frustrating that I cant get a straight answer from the education dept. I also emailed mountain creek school a couple of months ago for them to not respond too!!

If you find out can you give me a shout too then Pam??!!!
We live in QLD on the Sunshine Coast, have two children in years 7 and 10, if they were still in the UK they would be in years 8 and 11 (which they will be over here when they go back in the new year). Children can leave school in QLD after completing year 10 if they have a full-time job to go to but they are encouraged to complete year 11 and 12. After year 12 they get a QLD certificate of education with an OP Score, they can then go onto Uni or Tafe etc by which time they will be 17.

Hope this helps, if I can be of any further help, feel free to contact me, Regards Jarvl.
Old Oct 12th 2006, 3:26 am
Forum Regular

luvit has a brilliant futureluvit has a brilliant futureluvit has a brilliant futureluvit has a brilliant futureluvit has a brilliant futureluvit has a brilliant futureluvit has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Pam

We are in Brissy, My boys, oldest born April 1995 from Jan 07 he will be in Year 7 and the youngest born April 2000 from Jan 07 he will be in Year 2.
Old Oct 12th 2006, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by matt-and-jenny
I was born July 78 and went to school here in Aus, and I was 17 when I finished year 12.
In Queensland, completing year 10 gives you a Junior Certificate, and year 12 give you a Senior Certificate. When I went back to the UK, my Senior Certificate was recognised as A Levels.
Hope this helps!
J
Wendy, that is who I emailed and who didnt reply. x

So M&J, cheers for that info, thats my light at the end of the tunnel as its taking me a lot to get him over there in the first place and appreciate him giving us two years of his life in oz. As you can tell he is coming back when he is 18 to go to uni in the UK.

So he will 16 on April 30th,2007 (flip, this may be your bit???) and he will be due to finish school in the UK in the June07 after finishing his GCSE's. We are flying to oz in July and he will then go into year 11 again?? or year 12?? In the UK he is on the talented and gifted programme and is completing 15GCSE's with A's predicted. Do you think he would go into year 11 or 12??

Cheers everyone, the fog is clearing.
Old Oct 12th 2006, 7:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Wendy, that is who I emailed and who didnt reply. x

So M&J, cheers for that info, thats my light at the end of the tunnel as its taking me a lot to get him over there in the first place and appreciate him giving us two years of his life in oz. As you can tell he is coming back when he is 18 to go to uni in the UK.

So he will 16 on April 30th,2007 (flip, this may be your bit???) and he will be due to finish school in the UK in the June07 after finishing his GCSE's. We are flying to oz in July and he will then go into year 11 again?? or year 12?? In the UK he is on the talented and gifted programme and is completing 15GCSE's with A's predicted. Do you think he would go into year 11 or 12??

Cheers everyone, the fog is clearing.

From experience I'd say that the teachers would more than lkely be happy to discuss what you want him to do. Both of the schools my kids have gone to have been excellent that way, they let us decide what was best.

Have you any idea which school you want him to go to or are you waiting until you get here?. If you know which one then send them an e-mail and see what they say, or if not bring over his reports and examples of work and they will look at it and you can go from there.
Old Oct 12th 2006, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Wendy
From experience I'd say that the teachers would more than lkely be happy to discuss what you want him to do. Both of the schools my kids have gone to have been excellent that way, they let us decide what was best.

Have you any idea which school you want him to go to or are you waiting until you get here?. If you know which one then send them an e-mail and see what they say, or if not bring over his reports and examples of work and they will look at it and you can go from there.
We were looking at mountain creek school, again i emailed them (twice) and again have not had a reply. He needs some reassurance of his education as he is very very focused on his future and getting to uni. We had a massive argument last friday when he said he wasnt coming as it would ruin his education, that why i am desperate to find out what types of courses he can do at (a-level equiv) in australia. He has said he will come now but I want to be able to give him something back by researching this prior to us moving.
Old Oct 12th 2006, 7:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We were looking at mountain creek school, again i emailed them (twice) and again have not had a reply. He needs some reassurance of his education as he is very very focused on his future and getting to uni. We had a massive argument last friday when he said he wasnt coming as it would ruin his education, that why i am desperate to find out what types of courses he can do at (a-level equiv) in australia. He has said he will come now but I want to be able to give him something back by researching this prior to us moving.

One thing I've learnt is that things tend to take a wee bit longer here, so they may reply sometime after you move here

Seriously though, why not give them a call instead? They can't ignore a phone call as easy can they
Old Oct 12th 2006, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Wendy
One thing I've learnt is that things tend to take a wee bit longer here, so they may reply sometime after you move here

Seriously though, why not give them a call instead? They can't ignore a phone call as easy can they
Think I will ring them, its just timing it with the shifts i work. Cheers Wendy, you have been great x

Tried giving you K, but said i have to spread it around a bit...will come back to you x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.