School Years

Old Jul 28th 2007, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

iddy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default School Years

Hi

I have a daughter how is 10 (March birthday) and son who is 7 (May birthday). I am trying to work out which years they would currently be in today if they we studying in Australia - is it years 5 & 2 (6 & 3 next jan)

Thanks

Adrian
Old Jul 28th 2007, 8:07 pm
FollowTheYellowBrickRoad

karlakoala is a name known to allkarlakoala is a name known to allkarlakoala is a name known to allkarlakoala is a name known to allkarlakoala is a name known to allkarlakoala is a name known to allkarlakoala is a name known to allkarlakoala is a name known to allkarlakoala is a name known to allkarlakoala is a name known to allkarlakoala is a name known to all
Default Re: School Years

Hi Adrian,
Here is a link to lots of schooling info, you should find out there.

http://info.anu.edu.au/studyat/Inter...urChildren.pdf

Karla
Old Jul 28th 2007, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

Karla

Thanks for that. I think what I am trying to grasp is if a child is 6 before the start of the school year would the go into Year 1 or would they go into year 2 (as they will be 7 during the school year)?

Thanks

Adrian
Old Jul 28th 2007, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

oldhampom is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Wonder if anyone can help me on the same subject.

I've got the chance of a job in Sydney on a 457 visa.
My daughter is 15, but will be 16 in December.

I think that means she'd start year 11 in Aus for the 2008 term?
I believe that's the first year of the HSC, so would she be allowed to study for it as she won't have attained the NSW school certificate.

Any help much appreciated

David

Last edited by oldhampom; Jul 28th 2007 at 8:42 pm.
Old Jul 28th 2007, 8:42 pm
looking for my marbles

ozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to behold

is it 6 they start school?? Do they have pre-school like here??
Old Jul 28th 2007, 8:51 pm

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieclare2b
is it 6 they start school?? Do they have pre-school like here??
They have pre kinder garden and kindergaden.

My daughter will be going into year 5 in the Uk she is 10 in October. She should go back into year 4 in Aus but when i went over to Perth in February i have asked if she can go into year 5 there. My son on the other hand will redo year 3 again as i think he will benefit from it.

So what i am doing is sending some of their work over from this year so they can assess them both and determine what year they will go into.

My only advise to you is to look at schools and thier perfomances before you go as the catchment areas are quite strict and you may not get the school you want if you are not living in the catchment area.
Old Jul 28th 2007, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

mad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iddy
Hi

I have a daughter how is 10 (March birthday) and son who is 7 (May birthday). I am trying to work out which years they would currently be in today if they we studying in Australia - is it years 5 & 2 (6 & 3 next jan)

Thanks

Adrian
Hi Adrian,

I have looked into this and in Perth, where we are going, the school year runs from if you are born from the 1st July to the 30th June. This is different to the Septmber/August here in the UK.

My son was 6 on 28th April and has just finished year 1 here. When we move over to Perth in October he will go back into year 1 until the school year finishes the first week in December. He will then move up to year 2 in February 08.

My daughter who is 3 and goes to state nursery here will have to wait until Feb 08 to start Kindy. They call reception, pre primary over there also.

Hope that doesn't confuse you.

Sarah
Old Jul 28th 2007, 9:10 pm

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mad.chef
Hi Adrian,

I have looked into this and in Perth, where we are going, the school year runs from if you are born from the 1st July to the 30th June. This is different to the Septmber/August here in the UK.

My son was 6 on 28th April and has just finished year 1 here. When we move over to Perth in October he will go back into year 1 until the school year finishes the first week in December. He will then move up to year 2 in February 08.

My daughter who is 3 and goes to state nursery here will have to wait until Feb 08 to start Kindy. They call reception, pre primary over there also.

Hope that doesn't confuse you.

Sarah

Where are you heading to in Perth Sarah ?
Old Jul 28th 2007, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

Sarah

Thanks for that. My head hurts now!

I also found this link that Explains it for Queensland

http://education.qld.gov.au/schools/...enrolling.html

Adrian
Old Jul 28th 2007, 11:20 pm
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by iddy
Hi

Thanks

Adrian
That is right for Queensland - and the link you have given is what made us fairly sure we had got it wrong with our eldest. So we now have it right and this year we have a 6 year old (Jan birthday) in year 1 and an 8 year old (9 in Oct) in year 4 . Next Jan they will be in years 2 and 5.

To be honest its simple if you ignore all the new stuff about when they start prep which is where we got confused - for anyone year 1 and above in Queensland these are the school year they should be in for this school year (i.e. until Dec 07).

DOB
01/01/01 - 31/12/01 Year 1
01/01/00 - 31/12/00 Year 2
01/01/99 - 31/12/99 Year 3
01/01/98 - 31/12/98 Year 4
01/01/97 - 31/12/97 Year 5
01/01/96 - 31/12/96 Year 6
01/01/95 - 31/12/95 Year 7
01/01/94 - 31/12/94 Year 8
01/01/97 - 31/12/97 Year 5
Old Jul 29th 2007, 12:10 am
BE Enthusiast

rumbletum will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by oldhampom
Hi

I believe that's the first year of the HSC, so would she be allowed to study for it as she won't have attained the NSW school certificate.

David
Hi David

I have a 15yr old girl (16 in Jan 08) and you are right, your daughter will be Year 10 now and Year 11 from Jan 08. I am not sure about the HSC study but I dont see why not.
If you know which area will you be living in, perhaps you could make enquiries directly to the school she will be attending, they are very helpful. We have been in Sydney for three years and i was corresponding with various schools before our move and found them all to be very good at replying to my questions.
My daughter had just about completed Year 7 when we arrived here (July o4) and stayed in Yr 7 till the end of the school year (Dec) which was actually the right thing to do looking back now as it helped her to just settle into the lifestyle and make friends. She had covered the work already so wasnt worrying about school work.

Good luck
Old Jul 29th 2007, 12:12 am
BE Enthusiast

rumbletum will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by oldhampom
Hi

David
Its me again David, sorry I forgot to mention something! My daughter has only just chosen the subjects that she will be studying for the next two years in year 11 and 12. If you contact the school then maybe they will email you the subject lines so that she can make her choices and be prepared for the start of the year.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 6:39 pm
FollowTheYellowBrickRoad

karlakoala is a name known to allkarlakoala is a name known to allkarlakoala is a name known to allkarlakoala is a name known to allkarlakoala is a name known to allkarlakoala is a name known to allkarlakoala is a name known to allkarlakoala is a name known to allkarlakoala is a name known to allkarlakoala is a name known to allkarlakoala is a name known to all

Hi all,

After first seeing this thread, getting curious and doing more research I had a hard time finding any info on the "cut off" points for school years, on the perth education department website it says "Secondary school starts at Year 8 with most children beginning Year 8 during the year they turn 13. There are some middle schools where students start in Year 7 during the year they turn 12."

But anyway when i eventually find my way back to this thread the info is already here

Anyway here's links to various state's education department websites just incase theyre of use to anyone on this subject.

www.education.vic.gov.au/
www.det.nsw.edu.au/
www.det.wa.edu.au/education/
www.education.tas.gov.au/
www.education.qld.gov.au/
www.education.nt.gov.au/
www.decs.sa.gov.au/
www.dest.gov.au
Old Jul 29th 2007, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

oldhampom is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info Heather
15 year olds!!!!! more trouble than they're worth

I thought she'd be year 11, trouble is that means she won't get chance to sit her GCSE's in UK, so I'm worried she might not be eligible to start her HSC.
I'll be moving over on a 457 visa at pretty short notice, so I'm not sure at the mo where we'll be living.
We're probably moving at the wrong time for her really (poss Nov) as she won't have much time left of the Aus year to get used to things.

I've e-mailed the NSW education dept and also the Aus education dept at the embassy in UK, so hopefully they'll confirm things for me.

Thanks again

David
Old Jul 29th 2007, 9:48 pm
3 Yrs til the good life!

terriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really nice

fantastic info, thanks a bunch
Originally Posted by karlakoala
Hi all,

After first seeing this thread, getting curious and doing more research I had a hard time finding any info on the "cut off" points for school years, on the perth education department website it says "Secondary school starts at Year 8 with most children beginning Year 8 during the year they turn 13. There are some middle schools where students start in Year 7 during the year they turn 12."

But anyway when i eventually find my way back to this thread the info is already here

Anyway here's links to various state's education department websites just incase theyre of use to anyone on this subject.

www.education.vic.gov.au/
www.det.nsw.edu.au/
www.det.wa.edu.au/education/
www.education.tas.gov.au/
www.education.qld.gov.au/
www.education.nt.gov.au/
www.decs.sa.gov.au/
www.dest.gov.au

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.