Reload this Page >

school year (which one)

school year (which one)

Old Aug 6th 2009, 12:34 am
Forum Regular

Location: Melbourne UK to Helensville Nz to Secret Harbour Perth WA
donki is an unknown quantity at this point
Default school year (which one)

i have two children one born april 1995 one march 1997 which school year will they go in to
Old Aug 6th 2009, 1:09 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: school year (which one)

Originally Posted by donki
i have two children one born april 1995 one march 1997 which school year will they go in to
Not sure where you are heading but if you arrived in Perth today your eldest would be enrolled in Year 9 and your youngest in year 7.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 2:06 am
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

My daughter is aug 95 and she is year 9 but should be in year 8. My son jan 98 is in year 6 which is the correct year for him. They are pretty 'loose' about which year they go into, if in doubt keep them down a year as its easier to move up in high school than down - keep into consideration maturity of the kids as well as their education standard. I really wanted to move my daughter down to but teachers say she is too mature and would find the year 8'ers annoying and immature.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 2:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_Australia

All depends on the state you will be going to but in general terms a 14 year old would be year 9 this year (year 10 in 2010) and a 12 year old would be year 7 this year but both of them would be on the young side of those year cohorts as their birthdays would be pretty close to cut offs for some states.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 2:32 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_Australia

All depends on the state you will be going to but in general terms a 14 year old would be year 9 this year (year 10 in 2010) and a 12 year old would be year 7 this year but both of them would be on the young side of those year cohorts as their birthdays would be pretty close to cut offs for some states.
Our year 7 in WA is currently only a half cohort as the cut off dates were changed in 1997. Prior to that it ran as per school year and now it is July 1st to June 30th.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 2:34 am
Gutter Gob!!

Originally Posted by homewardbound
My daughter is aug 95 and she is year 9 but should be in year 8. My son jan 98 is in year 6 which is the correct year for him. They are pretty 'loose' about which year they go into, if in doubt keep them down a year as its easier to move up in high school than down - keep into consideration maturity of the kids as well as their education standard. I really wanted to move my daughter down to but teachers say she is too mature and would find the year 8'ers annoying and immature.
Here in WA they are far from loose about entry years. My youngest misses cut off by 5 days. I tried everything to get her put up a year and they were having none of it.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 3:10 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by donki
Current WA rules are:

They must turn 6 years of age by 30 June of the year they start Year 1.
They must turn 7 years of age by 30 June of the year they start Year 2
They must turn 8 years of age by 30 June of the year they start Year 3
They must turn 9 years of age by 30 June of the year they start Year 4
They must turn 10 years of age by 30 June of the year they start Year 5
They must turn 11 years of age by 30 June of the year they start Year 6
They must turn 12 years of age by 30 June of the year they start Year 7

Old Aug 6th 2009, 5:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Here in WA they are far from loose about entry years. My youngest misses cut off by 5 days. I tried everything to get her put up a year and they were having none of it.
State school's in WA won't make concessions at all, but the private system will if they feel it's warranted.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

My son is also March 1997 and he is in year 7 (WA)

Gems
Old Aug 11th 2009, 12:18 am
Just Joined

TerryA is an unknown quantity at this point

My lil bro should have been in year 11, but because he joined his school in February he had to start in year 10 because he had missed half (?) of the school year already and they thought he would be behind.

Sucks for him, but it's the right thing to do.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

My youngest was born in 2003 (Feb). It appears she will be one of the youngest in her class (Year 2 - she would have just turned 7).

I'm wondering whether it makes sense to push her back to Year 1? I also plan to check with the school and get some inputs.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 4:17 am
Just Joined

TerryA is an unknown quantity at this point

Dunno, I guess it's up to you, It's a very early age so you could argue that she may learn some fundamental things at that age. But it's not like if she missed them she wouldn't be able to pick them up as she goes along.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 5:40 am
BE Enthusiast

The Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Kim67
State school's in WA won't make concessions at all, but the private system will if they feel it's warranted.
My eldest daughter is in Y7 now (born sept 97.) She was moved up by the state school she was in at the time so there must be some leeway (depending on the child I suppose.) She is now at private school and although is still the youngest in the year, she's not the only one past the cut-off date of June 30th.
TJ
Old Aug 11th 2009, 7:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Johnstons
My eldest daughter is in Y7 now (born sept 97.) She was moved up by the state school she was in at the time so there must be some leeway (depending on the child I suppose.) She is now at private school and although is still the youngest in the year, she's not the only one past the cut-off date of June 30th.
TJ
When we were in Perth last year, without even seeing my son, the couple of state schools we went to and the WA Education Department said they wouldn't allow him into Grade 2 as he had a July birthday - no discussion would be entered into. We didn't bother pursuing it as he got into our private school of choice and they applied for special dispensation.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

Julie9 has a spectacular aura aboutJulie9 has a spectacular aura aboutJulie9 has a spectacular aura about

Hi, My daughter will be 13 in December (we are moving to the gold coast in Sept) and has just finished year 7 in the UK, i cant quite get my head round what year she will go into assuming she starts school in October or asap after we arrive can anyone shed any light on this ?
many thanks Julie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.