Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Which school year?

Which school year?

Old Mar 14th 2012, 6:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to all
Default Which school year?

Am trying to work out which school year group my children would go into? They are currently years 4,2 and Reception. All are amongst the oldest in their year groups.
Can anyone advise?
Old Mar 14th 2012, 6:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which school year?

All depends on the state you are going to and their dates of birth. Their year levels in UK are irrelevant.

IIRC you are going to Victoria so the cut off date is 30 April - a child who turns 8 before 30 April 2012 will be in year 3 in 2012 - you should be able to work out the relative year levels working up and down from that.

If I have it wrong and you are heading for another state, then http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_Australia is a good place to start - scroll down for the cut off dates for each state
Old Mar 14th 2012, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to all

Yes, Victoria, so in that case they would all stay in the year groups they are in?
Old Mar 14th 2012, 7:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy3
Yes, Victoria, so in that case they would all stay in the year groups they are in?
No idea, you havent mentioned their birth dates
Old Mar 14th 2012, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sept 2002
Sept 2004
Sept 2006

Thanks
Old Mar 14th 2012, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond repute

September 2002 would make your child a year older than mine (November 2003) and my daughter will be year 3 when I enroll her at the start of next term, so year 4 would be right for you. Here, reception is called "prep", but its basically the whole first year, so you get prep, 1, 2, 3, etc.

Hope that helps.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thank you, it will be odd for them going from oldest to younger within the year group.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 8:07 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Which school year?

Thank you, it will be odd for them going from oldest to younger within the year group.
You can keep them down a year if you feel that is more appropriate. It is very common here.

BB
Old Mar 14th 2012, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

I have one close to your 2004 child and she's in Grade 2 at the moment.

Quoll is correct, although many people keep their children down if their birthdays fall after January (ie into the next year of school) so my daughter has friends who turn 8 in March.......and friends who don't turn 8 until the following January!

My littlest would start school in the UK this September 2012 as he's an August baby but doesn't start in Prep here until February 2014 and he'll be bang in the middle age wise.....
Old Mar 14th 2012, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thank you, that all makes sense now. I know the UK system so well and want to gem up on the Australian one.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

What they all said
Your youngest will be in Prep if you come out before the end of school year. S/he will be starting Year 1 in February next year, same as my first-born who was born in July 2006. Your other children will therefore be two years up from each other. That makes Prep, Year 2 and Year 4 in 2012. I like the pattern in their DoBs, did you plan it all neatly?
Old Mar 14th 2012, 10:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by elice_in_oz
What they all said
Your youngest will be in Prep if you come out before the end of school year. S/he will be starting Year 1 in February next year, same as my first-born who was born in July 2006. Your other children will therefore be two years up from each other. That makes Prep, Year 2 and Year 4 in 2012. I like the pattern in their DoBs, did you plan it all neatly?
Not one was planned!! Have had many comments over the years!
Old Mar 14th 2012, 11:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Not one was planned!! Have had many comments over the years!
Sounds like too much bubbly on New Years Eve.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 10:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
You can keep them down a year if you feel that is more appropriate. It is very common here.

BB
Not with a September birthday! That makes them on the middle older end of the year cohort. I doubt any school would recommend that - they dont like keeping kids so far out of their age cohort.

I agree, years 4, 2 and Prep if they go to school in 2012