Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

School (WA) under review by Department of Education....what does that mean?

School (WA) under review by Department of Education....what does that mean?

Old Nov 15th 2013, 12:45 am
Forum Regular

Cosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant future
Default School (WA) under review by Department of Education....what does that mean?

I have heard that our school is under review by the education board but that's it's not related to the school's academic performance. What else could it be, and how might I go about getting more information? We have kids in private and public, the latter waiting for their private spot in Yr 6.

I have looked on http://www.des.wa.gov.au/ but it's not shedding any light.

Thanks if anyone can help.

Cheers.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 2:50 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: School (WA) under review by Department of Education....what does that mean?

Originally Posted by Cosmo Knott
I have heard that our school is under review by the education board but that's it's not related to the school's academic performance. What else could it be, and how might I go about getting more information? We have kids in private and public, the latter waiting for their private spot in Yr 6.

I have looked on http://www.des.wa.gov.au/ but it's not shedding any light.

Thanks if anyone can help.

Cheers.
I'd say it's a direct consequence of having a Premier who doesn't give a flying fu.....fig about education. If you google 'Barnett' and 'education cuts' you'll get the whole sorry story.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 2:55 am
Forum Regular

bitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: School (WA) under review by Department of Education....what does that mean?

Hi Cosmo Knott, when you say 'education board' do you mean the Education Dept of WA, or do you mean the school board, if it's an IPS?
Old Nov 15th 2013, 4:48 am
Forum Regular

Cosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by bitzenpces
Hi Cosmo Knott, when you say 'education board' do you mean the Education Dept of WA, or do you mean the school board, if it's an IPS?
I believe it's the Edu Dept of WA, as it's a public (state) school.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 4:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I'd say it's a direct consequence of having a Premier who doesn't give a flying fu.....fig about education. If you google 'Barnett' and 'education cuts' you'll get the whole sorry story.
Hmm, he's our constituency bod - and visited our school on election day

I'll take a look, thanks SOS.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

bitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose a school might be under review if its NAPLAN results were poor, if complaints had been made by parents, if the enrolments had dropped to the point where closure was being considererd, if there were suspicions of inappropriate NAPLAN-related activities, bullying, etc, etc. Haven't the parents been told anything? I think I'd be contacting the P&C to find out what's going on.
Old Nov 17th 2013, 3:46 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Make an appointment with the Principal and ask.
Old Nov 17th 2013, 6:47 am
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

Actually the West Australian Education system has more spent on it per child than any other state school system and spending has gone up by 50 per cent in the last five years, which is unsustainable and why costs had to be brought down. This has been brewing for a while and is totally sensible - I work in a state secondary school and in previous schools I have had to put up with numerous 'education assistants' who are paid well to do not much more than sit there in class 'helping' some student, get paid for school holidays, have no marking or prep, work only school hours, have no duties and have no targets they must reach. They have limited education and I was shocked that they were paid only a few hundred less per week than me who had all the responsibilities, had a four year degree and worked hours every night and on weekends. education assistans are a complete indulgence.
Old Nov 17th 2013, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by aussietobe
Actually the West Australian Education system has more spent on it per child than any other state school system and spending has gone up by 50 per cent in the last five years, which is unsustainable and why costs had to be brought down. This has been brewing for a while and is totally sensible - I work in a state secondary school and in previous schools I have had to put up with numerous 'education assistants' who are paid well to do not much more than sit there in class 'helping' some student, get paid for school holidays, have no marking or prep, work only school hours, have no duties and have no targets they must reach. They have limited education and I was shocked that they were paid only a few hundred less per week than me who had all the responsibilities, had a four year degree and worked hours every night and on weekends. education assistans are a complete indulgence.
Money spent has not equalled educational gains, though. I don't know if you saw the recent reports about new Fed MP Alannah MacTiernan talking about the NAPLAN results http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politi...109-2x833.html.

On EAs, there are obviously good and 'not so good'. I know 2 really good ones who have extra training, and who both prepare lesson plans and teach classes (state primary school). On the other hand, I can remember being told that in the late 1990s (I think), the WA state government decided to contract out school cleaning. They re-deployed some of these cleaners to be EAs.

Just because someone has a 4 year degree does not make them a good teacher. EAs, teachers, principals or others - what is really needed is a way to get rid of the dead wood.
Old Nov 17th 2013, 8:51 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Are they? Tell that to the parents whose kids with disability can only attend mainstream school with the help of an education assistant.
Old Nov 17th 2013, 8:59 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Are they? Tell that to the parents whose kids with disability can only attend mainstream school with the help of an education assistant.
I totally agree.
Old Nov 17th 2013, 9:04 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Just what I was going to say - except I would add that the funding for an EA/LSA/TA or whatever you want to call them doesn't come out of a schools budget, and all of the ones I've known haven't been paid for all holidays. Having a LSA in a classroom usually benefits more than one specific pupil too - and can ease a teachers life too
Old Nov 17th 2013, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Just what I was going to say - except I would add that the funding for an EA/LSA/TA or whatever you want to call them doesn't come out of a schools budget, and all of the ones I've known haven't been paid for all holidays. Having a LSA in a classroom usually benefits more than one specific pupil too - and can ease a teachers life too
Not in my experience. The assistants in my classroom were not there to assist me, they used to just sit there next to the student they were helping and not do a great deal. Primary school assistants I believe are worthwhile...but TAs in high schools I do not see the value, sorry.
Old Nov 17th 2013, 11:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Some are required but their numbers have been blown out to unsustainable numbers....
Old Nov 17th 2013, 11:07 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Not in my experience. The assistants in my classroom were not there to assist me, they used to just sit there next to the student they were helping and not do a great deal. Primary school assistants I believe are worthwhile...but TAs in high schools I do not see the value, sorry.
Sometimes, just having a TA with a specific pupil is making a teacher's life easier - even if it just looks like they are sitting with them

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.