Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

school term dates for all states/territories

school term dates for all states/territories

Old Jan 20th 2005, 10:31 am
frozen to the keyboard

Brissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura about
Default school term dates for all states/territories

just a useful link for those with kiddies who need to go to school and want to know when school is in or out on holidays! (or those without who wish to avoid school holiday season for airfares etc)

http://www.dest.gov.au/schools/dates.htm

may have been posted before.. not sure!

B.
Old Jan 20th 2005, 10:52 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: school term dates for all states/territories

Originally Posted by Brissiegirl
just a useful link for those with kiddies who need to go to school and want to know when school is in or out on holidays! (or those without who wish to avoid school holiday season for airfares etc)

B.
Not seen this before but much appreciated
Old Jan 20th 2005, 11:58 am

Smiffy's Lot has a spectacular aura aboutSmiffy's Lot has a spectacular aura aboutSmiffy's Lot has a spectacular aura about

B.
Thanks Brissygirl
I need some advice too, excuse my ignorance My son will be 11 at the end of January, hoping to be in Perth for september ish [leaving year 6]- and to be starting school sept /oct to hopefully not be out of school for too long ! [I know he'll be joining at the end of the shool year] But what year will he going to secondary school? I cant work out if year 7 is another primary
year or not - not sure if Ishould be looking into primary first?????
Thanks for any advice
Old Jan 20th 2005, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sandy.l is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Smiffy's Lot
Thanks Brissygirl
I need some advice too, excuse my ignorance My son will be 11 at the end of January, hoping to be in Perth for september ish [leaving year 6]- and to be starting school sept /oct to hopefully not be out of school for too long ! [I know he'll be joining at the end of the shool year] But what year will he going to secondary school? I cant work out if year 7 is another primary
Thanks for any advice
My stepdaughter in Adelaide started High School in Yr 8. I assume it will be the same in WA. Yr 7 is last year of primary. In my opinion, she was much more ready for High School than she would have been here. My daughter is also in Yr 6, we were hoping not to have her starting High School here but I don't think I can avoid it. That will be odd for her, going to High School here, then back to Primary, then onto High School again. We'll have to time it right for her.

Sandy
Old Jan 20th 2005, 12:43 pm

Smiffy's Lot has a spectacular aura aboutSmiffy's Lot has a spectacular aura aboutSmiffy's Lot has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Sandy.l
My stepdaughter in Adelaide started High School in Yr 8. I assume it will be the same in WA. Yr 7 is last year of primary. In my opinion, she was much more ready for High School than she would have been here. My daughter is also in Yr 6, we were hoping not to have her starting High School here but I don't think I can avoid it. That will be odd for her, going to High School here, then back to Primary, then onto High School again. We'll have to time it right for her.

Sandy
Hi Sandy,
We too are hoping to avoid High School in Sept, especially if its only going to be for such a short while. Its going to be hard enough for them starting new schools in a new country - My son was looking forward to starting High School with all his friends too !!! isnt it hard!

Jill
Old Jan 20th 2005, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Sandy,
We too are hoping to avoid High School in Sept, especially if its only going to be for such a short while. Its going to be hard enough for them starting new schools in a new country - My son was looking forward to starting High School with all his friends too !!! isnt it hard!

Jill
Very frustrating. If I could miss out the first term here, it would be fine! Then she could start the new school year in Oz in Jan 2006, just after the Australia Day celebrations.

Sandy
Old Jan 20th 2005, 12:53 pm
frozen to the keyboard

Brissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura about

Primary school in Qld normally finishes at the end of year 7, with High/Secondary school beginning as Year 8. (that's my experience as both a school kid and a primary school student teacher, i.e teacher in training)

normally kids do 7 years primary, and around 5 years of secondary school. Most kids go to preschool or kindergarten for a few years before going to primary school. I'm sure some of the mums and dads with kids in diff states can say what it's like, or correct me if I'm really out of touch!!!
Old Jan 20th 2005, 5:21 pm
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

B.

Thanks for that! I have looked at the info once before but forgot where.

Now that we have got our visas it's a very valid consideration in trying to plan when to head out to Sydney. Or at least it would be if we could get a buyer for the house! Oh well, another viewing on Saturday - fingers crossed!

Binbird
Old Jan 20th 2005, 5:35 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Brissygirl
Thanks for any advice
11 year olds here are in year 6 and 7 is the last year of primary school. So your child will have a month or 2 to make some friends in year 6 here for over the summer holidays and then start year 7 knowing people. Should make it easier for him.
Old Jan 20th 2005, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

Our 10 year old would be in year 6 in the uk. Here he is in year 7. The school he is at has a middle Junior school (upto year 6) middle school (6-9) and then senior. Not all schools have a middle school though.

Mandy
Old Jan 21st 2005, 10:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scrawni
Our 10 year old would be in year 6 in the uk. Here he is in year 7. The school he is at has a middle Junior school (upto year 6) middle school (6-9) and then senior. Not all schools have a middle school though.

Mandy

I assumed that if we were in Australia now then my daughter would still be in Yr 6 (as she is here) going into Yr 7 in January 2006 as she will be 11 on the 6th Feb (born 1994)therefore (as I thought) making her one of the oldest in the school year in Australia. When will your son be 11? I may have my facts wrong in which case I'm not so worried. Does anyone know of a good link where I can check out enrolment dates? Or does anyone know the answer?

Sandy

Last edited by Sandy.l; Jan 21st 2005 at 10:36 am.
Old Jan 21st 2005, 10:30 am
frozen to the keyboard

http://www.ourbrisbane.com/living/moving/schools/

The link has lots of stuff if your kids are going to school in Brisbane.. I'm sure the other states have similar websites avail.
Old Jan 21st 2005, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

http://www.ourbrisbane.com/living/moving/schools/

The link has lots of stuff if your kids are going to school in Brisbane.. I'm sure the other states have similar websites avail.
Cheers for that link. According to calculations she would be starting Yr 7 next Jan 2006 then, if we go to QLD. That's what I thought it should be. Hope we can get there before then!

Sandy
Old Jan 21st 2005, 10:44 am
frozen to the keyboard

that's okay - all the best in getting you and yours to Oz next year. It would be nice for your child to start at the beginning of the school year - far less disruption for her. Also a good time to make friends, as some of the kids from her class may go to the same secondary school the following year.
Old Jan 21st 2005, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

that's okay - all the best in getting you and yours to Oz next year. It would be nice for your child to start at the beginning of the school year - far less disruption for her. Also a good time to make friends, as some of the kids from her class may go to the same secondary school the following year.

Yes, that's the plan, unfortunately, life keeps getting in the way of plans! It's not so bad for our son as he is only 8 so he will have plenty of Primary School years left!

Sandy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.