Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

School starting age?

School starting age?

Old Feb 4th 2011, 2:41 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: School starting age?

Originally Posted by Pine Cone
If the first year of school is called kindergarten, then what is the equivalent of NZ kindy/UK pre-school called and what ages is is for?
The first year of school here is Prep....(was called early years when I was in the UK) Kinder is Pre school from 4 to 5 year olds. Proper school (prep) starts at 5 plus...
Old Feb 4th 2011, 3:26 am
Forum Regular

Pine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
The first year of school here is Prep....(was called early years when I was in the UK) Kinder is Pre school from 4 to 5 year olds. Proper school (prep) starts at 5 plus...
What about 3 year olds?

In the UK, before we left, most kids started pre-school between the ages of 2.5 and 3, depending upon their birthday and cut off dates for funding. My oldest child had a birthday 3 days after a cut off date so couldn't get a subsidised place at pre-school until about 3 years 4 months, but most other kids started younger. The funding was for 5 x 2.5 hour sessions per week, and we paid an extra £1.50 per day for an extra 30 minutes as the pre-school had 3 hour sessions. Until then we went to a couple of playgroup/coffee groups.

Here in NZ kids are entitled to 20 hours free (supposedly!) from their 3rd birthday but in reality most places are very over suscribed so kids don't start kindy until nearer 3.5. Most kindys do either shorter or fewer sessions for 3 years olds. Our local ones mostly do 2 x 4.25 hours for 3 year olds and 3 x 6 hours for 4 year olds. We pay 50c per hour 'donation' but this is about to go up considerably due to reductions in government funding. Here, unlike the UK, I've found that most playgroup/coffee groups are predominantly mums with much younger toddlers and babies. It is pretty much expected that you'll stop going when you child is about 3 regardless of whether they go to kindy or not, except when going along with a younger sibling.

Are organised playgroups etc common in Oz, or do people tend to have more informal coffee groups with their mates, and are they mainly babies and toddlers like in NZ or more like the UK where all kids under school age are welcome?
Old Feb 4th 2011, 3:39 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emylou78
Hi i'm in WA and have just asked at my 11year olds school about kindy for our son, he is 3 and will be 4 in september. He will not be able to start until Feb 2012 he has to be turning 4 by July 30th. ( so he will be 4years 5months)
kindy is similar to UK nurserys although at that school it would only be for 3 mornings a week.
Then Feb 2013 he will be able to start pre primary ( aged 5 years 5 months ) this is not full time 2-3 days per week and it is not compulsary education, so i have been told. i would say this is like UK reception/foundation stage class but not full time.
......... and finally Feb 2014 aged 6 years 5 months my boy will be able to start Primary grade 1.

But good news my daughter born 2/6/2009 will start kindy the year after him and will be 3 years 8 months

i
There is a school starting age calculator on the WA Education Dept's website: http://www.det.wa.edu.au/education/ece/calculator.html. The child starts school depending on their age between 1 July one year and 30 June the following year.

Kindy is for 11 hours, all state schools are increasing this to 15 hours a week over the next couple of years, some offer it now: http://www.det.wa.edu.au/education/ece/factsheets.html. Pre-primary is full-time, 5 days a week, not mandatory, but most kids would do it.

My eldest was 4 years 3 months and the youngest was 3 years 7 months starting kindy.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 3:54 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

What about 3 year olds?

In the UK, before we left, most kids started pre-school between the ages of 2.5 and 3, depending upon their birthday and cut off dates for funding. My oldest child had a birthday 3 days after a cut off date so couldn't get a subsidised place at pre-school until about 3 years 4 months, but most other kids started younger. The funding was for 5 x 2.5 hour sessions per week, and we paid an extra £1.50 per day for an extra 30 minutes as the pre-school had 3 hour sessions. Until then we went to a couple of playgroup/coffee groups.

Here in NZ kids are entitled to 20 hours free (supposedly!) from their 3rd birthday but in reality most places are very over suscribed so kids don't start kindy until nearer 3.5. Most kindys do either shorter or fewer sessions for 3 years olds. Our local ones mostly do 2 x 4.25 hours for 3 year olds and 3 x 6 hours for 4 year olds. We pay 50c per hour 'donation' but this is about to go up considerably due to reductions in government funding. Here, unlike the UK, I've found that most playgroup/coffee groups are predominantly mums with much younger toddlers and babies. It is pretty much expected that you'll stop going when you child is about 3 regardless of whether they go to kindy or not, except when going along with a younger sibling.

Are organised playgroups etc common in Oz, or do people tend to have more informal coffee groups with their mates, and are they mainly babies and toddlers like in NZ or more like the UK where all kids under school age are welcome?
There are kindy sessions for 3 year olds, but these are outside the state system, and would be run as private groups by an early learning teacher and aide, probably in a community centre or church hall. These are low-cost but it can be hard sometimes getting a place, as they are popular, one example here http://www.loftuscommunitycentre.org...s/Page1261.htm. Many childcare centres also run kindy programmes.

I went to a couple of playgroups here and it was mainly babies and toddlers, but then a child starting kindy at 3.5 years could still be seen as a toddler. If a mum had a 4 year old and kindy wasn't on the day the playgroup was on, then she/he would probably go to playgroup too with younger siblings. It probably wouldn't work if you tried to take a 4 year old to a baby/toddler group when you didn't have any younger children. There are also informal mums' groups, but it might be hard to break into these in some areas. In Perth these might be formed when pregnant women meet up at ante-natal clinics, or post-natal at baby clinic sessions. Sometimes you might meet another mum with a baby when you're both taking your older kids to kindy/school.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 3:56 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

What about 3 year olds?

Jeeze! how young do they need to be at school? Maybe at 5 months gestation Mums should have to sit in at classes to give them a head start!

Some places do three year old kinder, but its just a posh name for playing and showing the kids their name, learning colours etc. My boy has done all of that at day care...through play and has had a ball.

With Kinder you get X amount back from the government like you do with child care. Its means tested and is on a sliding scale so cant tell you exactly how much.

This is the best link I could find to help you through it...

http://www.education.vic.gov.au/earl...boutkinder.htm
Old Feb 4th 2011, 4:09 am
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

Preschool in NSW starts at 3, but quite a few people I know don't start their kids til 4....the KU (subsidised ones) cost around 40-50 dollars and this is from 9-3. They do not do hours outside this. 2 days a week at 3 and 3 at 4.

There are also daycare centres (longer hours usually for working parents)which run preschool programs but tbh they don't 'learn' difficult stuff they wouldn't learn all by themselves and it's fairly laid back.

Preschool - no money back
Daycare (if parents working or studying get 50% back and some get more as tup to 30% more but this is means tested)

School starts at 4.5-6 as long as they are not 6 before they start.

The trend is (around North SYdney) that if you have a younger baby say not turning 5 til after March then usually they go when they are 5.5 as opposed to 4.5, there is a range of ages in the class tbh and it seems to be judged on social and emotional maturity.

My DD is just 5 and is amongst the youngest in her class tbh....

Playgroups are a BIG thing and usually go from 0-5 so you can take any siblings until they go to school...check out this website....I found it really handy but you also find playgroups at virtually every church as well!

http://www.playgroupaustralia.com.au...9863911b753535

HTH

Last edited by plantpot; Feb 4th 2011 at 4:11 am.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 4:53 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

We chose private childcare centre over state-run preschool as I wanted to go back to work and the measly hours of funded pre-school for 3 and 4-year-olds did not facilitate my return to work.

Our childcare centre runs a kinder program (mostly fun and games!) and they are open from 7.30am until 6pm every weekday all year round. Government funded kinder are only open during school term and at funny hours, like 10 to 2 or 9 to 3 and only 2 or 3 days a week. I am sure this is different depending on where you live and I think they are extending the hours, but I still found it almost impossible to combine workin 2 or 3 days a week with those hours.

We get 50% of the fee back every quarter, so it's not too bad financially eevn though the initial outlay of funds hurts a bit until Centrelink makes the payment.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 5:03 am
High in the Dandenongs

Originally Posted by elice_in_oz
We chose private childcare centre over state-run preschool as I wanted to go back to work and the measly hours of funded pre-school for 3 and 4-year-olds did not facilitate my return to work.

Our childcare centre runs a kinder program (mostly fun and games!) and they are open from 7.30am until 6pm every weekday all year round. Government funded kinder are only open during school term and at funny hours, like 10 to 2 or 9 to 3 and only 2 or 3 days a week. I am sure this is different depending on where you live and I think they are extending the hours, but I still found it almost impossible to combine workin 2 or 3 days a week with those hours.

We get 50% of the fee back every quarter, so it's not too bad financially eevn though the initial outlay of funds hurts a bit until Centrelink makes the payment.
Thats what we do too. They do 9 till 3 Kinder Tuesday/ Thursday, which just so happen to be my work days ) But they can go into day care (from 7 am/ till you pick up, either side) ...and for the rest of the week if you like

Last edited by hevs; Feb 4th 2011 at 5:05 am.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 6:12 am
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all

Hope this helps some people to work out the age years.

Australia Education goverment list.

Pre-school
Kindergarten / Prep (ACT, NT, NSW and SA/ TAS, VIC and WA / QLD): 4-5 year olds.
Kindergarten / Preparatory / Pre-Primary / Reception / Transition(ACT and NSW / TAS, VIC and QLD / WA / SA / NT): 5-6 year olds.

Primary School:

Year 1: 6-7 year olds
Year 2: 7-8 year olds
Year 3: 8-9 year olds
Year 4: 9-10 year olds
Year 5: 10-11 year olds
Year 6: 11-12 year olds
Year 7: 12-13 year olds (QLD, SA, WA).
SecondaryYear 7: 12-13 year olds (ACT, NSW, TAS, VIC)[45] (Middle School NT).
High School:
Year 8: 13-14 year olds
Year 9: 14-15 year olds
Year 10: 15-16 year olds (High School NT).
Year 11: 16-17 year olds
Year 12: 17-19 year olds

British Education System

Pre school / kindi
Age Year Key Stage (KS) Assessment
3-4

Primary School
4-5 Reception EYFS
5-6 Year 1 KS1
6-7 Year 2 KS1 Teacher assessments in English, maths and science
7-8 Year 3 KS2
8-9 Year 4 KS2
9-10 Year 5 KS2
10-11 Year 6 KS2 National tests and teacher assessments in English, maths and science

High School
11-12 Year 7 KS3 Ongoing teacher assessments
12-13 Year 8 KS3 Ongoing teacher assessments
13-14 Year 9 KS3 Teacher assessments in English, maths and science and the other foundation subjects
14-15 Year 10 KS4 Some children take GCSEs
15-16 Year 11 KS4 Most children take GCSEs or other national qualifications

College
16-18 A Levels other national qualifications.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 9:10 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by milly123
Hope this helps some people to work out the age years.
<...>
High School:
Year 8: 13-14 year olds
Year 9: 14-15 year olds
Year 10: 15-16 year olds (High School NT)
Year 11: 16-17 year olds
Year 12: 17-19 year olds.
To complicate things...
My daughter is 14 and in year 10, along with quite a few others who will turn 15 during this year.

hence:
Year 8: 12-13 year olds
Year 9: 13-14 year olds
Year 10: 14-15 year olds
Year 11: 15-16 year olds
Year 12: 16-17 year olds.

Old Feb 4th 2011, 9:12 am
Just Joined

corfu is just really nicecorfu is just really nicecorfu is just really nicecorfu is just really nicecorfu is just really nicecorfu is just really nicecorfu is just really nicecorfu is just really nice
Post Re: School starting age?

Sounds like it can sometimes be a bit tricky deciding when they should start then. I suppose though, if there is even a slim chance that you might one day return to the UK, it would be better that they start earlier rather than later. As far as I know, the UK are much more rigid about year levels and a child who started school later could end up at a distinct disadvantage if they effectively had to jump up a school year.
Hi we arrived in Sydney 8 weeks ago and have been in our rental since beginning of Jan in a suburb near Rouse Hill.

I am battling to get my 4.5 year old son into full time kindergarten in a public or Catholic school. But he misses the cut off date of 31st July. His birthday is 14th August. In the UK he started Reception (class before year 1, equivalent to kindergarten) last September. Yes he had only just turned 4 but had been at pre-school since the age of 2 and was socially, emotionally and academically ready for school.

Here, everyone keeps their kids back, not sure why. I have spoke to the Education Office in Hornsby who said he would have to be "gifted and talented" to enter early, whatever that means and she stated that my child could have "social issues" if I sent him to school early. I kept stating he has already started school but this fell on deaf ears!

After being mislead by one of the Catholic schools I went to the Catholic Education Office in Parramatta when it was 45 degrees to speak to the Head of Systems Performance, she was approachable and understanding but ping-ponged me back to the schools, happy for me to use her name as ammunition.
Basically, if the school has fulfilled threir obligations to all the 5 year olds in the area then if the principal agrees he can start.

Problem is it is hard to get passed the receptionist. I keep trying to stress to them what you have said above about returning to the UK. We are on 457 visa for 4years and likely to return to the UK, so if I leave him start kindergarten at 5.5 and then start Year 1 at 6.5, he will be 18 months behind his peers in the Uk and THAT will be detrimental, but it is like talking to a brick wall, they are inflexible and have an inability to think out of the box, it's a bit like "the computer says no".

My son is upset and cannot understand why they won't let him go to school and keeps practicing his writing and showing me what he can do, which just upsets me and makes me angry.

It has been an uphill struggle from the beginning just one thing after the other, it is wearing me down and want to go home before the container arrives and put my son back into the beautiful village school where he was thriving.

Apologies for hi-jacking your post pine-cone, just thought I would give you an insight into a real situation.

Hope all goes well for you
Old Feb 4th 2011, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

Pine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond repute

Don't feel at all hijacked.....very similar issues also exist here in NZ too. Plus the focus of schooling here is very different to the UK, less academic and more skill based. We feel the need to supplement schooling ourselves where we see gaps.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 9:46 am
High in the Dandenongs

He wouldnt be in Kinder at 5.5, he'd be in prep....This is pre year one, but proper school. It was called early years in our school in the UK.

Its not a case of people "holding their kids back" its just the way the school system is set up. Most children here stay untill they are 18, not 16 like the UK (unless doing A levels obviously) I have had kids do the UK system and the Aussie one and FWIT my 4 year old is going to "learn"in kinder this year, and is at the same level achedemically as any 4 YO in the UK. Its just a different name and I certainly wouldnt be stressing. For example he knows all of his shapes, colours etc, can write his name and recognise it etc and is exactly where his sibling were at their age. He just doesnt wear a uniform or go for stupidly tiring hours at the age he is..... Seriously, its primary school, your son is not going to end up educationally retarded missing 6 months of school. As for him getting upset, he is only picking it up from you, relax and so will he

Go to you local council and get some names of day care centers around you and have a look at their programs, you might be plesently suprised....and just get you head around the differnt "names"

Good luck
Old Feb 4th 2011, 11:09 am
Simply happy in Sydney!

LittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of light

Having spoken to my friends who have kept their children back until almost 6 before starting kindy, there are a couple of reasons. Firstly children who are held back are at an academic advantage. This is because they are older and therefore more able to learn than their peers, and therefore will perform better at school. Secondly, from a physical point of view, an almost six year old will be far stronger and physically capable than a four and a half year old, which again puts them at an advantage for sports. Thirdly, the number of school years are fixed at 13. Those children who start earlier will only be 17 on leaving school after year 12, and potentially their friends will be 18 and therefore adults.

I don't know how true those things are, but that is what I was told by friends who have kept their children back.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 9:34 am
Just Joined

corfu is just really nicecorfu is just really nicecorfu is just really nicecorfu is just really nicecorfu is just really nicecorfu is just really nicecorfu is just really nicecorfu is just really nice
Post Re: School starting age?

Originally Posted by hevs
He wouldnt be in Kinder at 5.5, he'd be in prep....This is pre year one, but proper school. It was called early years in our school in the UK.

Its not a case of people "holding their kids back" its just the way the school system is set up. Most children here stay untill they are 18, not 16 like the UK (unless doing A levels obviously) I have had kids do the UK system and the Aussie one and FWIT my 4 year old is going to "learn"in kinder this year, and is at the same level achedemically as any 4 YO in the UK. Its just a different name and I certainly wouldnt be stressing. For example he knows all of his shapes, colours etc, can write his name and recognise it etc and is exactly where his sibling were at their age. He just doesnt wear a uniform or go for stupidly tiring hours at the age he is..... Seriously, its primary school, your son is not going to end up educationally retarded missing 6 months of school. As for him getting upset, he is only picking it up from you, relax and so will he

Go to you local council and get some names of day care centers around you and have a look at their programs, you might be plesently suprised....and just get you head around the differnt "names"

Good luck
Hi there

My son is socially, academically and emotionally ready for school. I can be sure of this because he has already started reception in the UK at a very young age. When he was born I was aware he would attend school three weeks after his 4th birthday if I felt he was ready. And, he was.

In his pre-school I used to liase with his keyworker on taking things in that would keep him challenged and interested as they went through a phase where he was getting bored, learning the basics just was not cutting the mustard.

I think you have got mixed up, he would be 18 months behind when we go back to the UK.

August 14th 2010 turn 4
UK scenario:
September 2010 to July 2011 = Reception age 4-5
September 2011 to July 2012 = Year 1 age 5-6
Sept 2012 to Jul 2013 = Year 2 age 6-7
Sept 2013 to Jul 2014 = Year 3 age 7-8
Sept 2014 to Jul 2015 = Year 4 age 8-9

Would be due to return to UK Dec 2014 aged 8.5

Oz scenario
January 2011 to Dec 2011 = they are suggesting I send him to Pre-school age 4.5 - 5.5

January 2012 to Dec 2012 = schools have told me it is Kindergarten 5.5 - 6.5
Jan 2013 to Dec 2013 = Year 1 6.5 to 7.5
Jan 2014 to Dec 2014 = Year 2 7.5 to 8.5

So, confusing I know but it is actually 18 months due to the different term times. Either way he was always going to be young, he misses a cut off by 14 days and those 14 days make a big difference.

It is just the system I know, but my childs educational needs surely are more important than bureacracy, which this place seems to love.
Every child is different and needs to be catered for, even if that means bending the rules.

Retarded!!! Can't believe people still use this word.

Anyway a kind lady on this thread has PM'd me who has totally picked up the fact that I have a child who just is ready for school younger than others and has given me some other avenues to try.

Goodnight

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.