British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   School registration (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/school-registration-583649/)

Iando Jan 12th 2009 2:33 pm

School registration

Hi - can anyone help - do Australian schools require the same registration as the Uk - so many months before the year commences and those tha dont end up without a schoool choice . i am referring to the 4/5 year olds -thanks

Sunshine Coast Settlers Jan 12th 2009 7:34 pm

Re: School registration

Hi Iando

I'm not sure about the other states but private schools in QLD are run as businesses so they want you to start paying as soon as possible so although the decision is entirely up to the individual school, generally if they have spaces available in the corresponding classes your child can start within a few days even if it's mid term time but if there are no spaces available your child will be placed on a waiting list. Some parents have their children on lists for these schools from birth. You will be expected to pay a large retainer fee for their place to be held. In most circumstances public schools require proof that you are living in the catchment area prior to enrolment but again this is at the schools discretion. There are many cases where younger siblings are permitted to attend regardless of catchment area due to their elder sibling already being in attendance and a whole range of other situations.

If you have a few specific schools in mind or even a general location I'd suggest speaking to them and at least show an early display of interest of the school.

quoll Jan 12th 2009 7:40 pm

Government schools are obliged to find a spot for any kid living in their priority enrolment area so theoretically you can just rock up to your local school with your evidence of address, birth cert, passport and vaccination certificate and start there and then. They may not like it but they have no choice.

Out of area enrolments a whole different ballgame, the school MAY accept out of area enrolments if they have space and many do have a waitlist for such enrolments in which case for some it is put their name down at birth and for others a few months/weeks will do.

Private schools range between the "put your name down when you are thinking of doing the deed" and "give us a term's notice" through to "yes get out your chequebook we can enrol you right now"./

ABCDiamond Jan 12th 2009 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by smoothmoves (Post 7158174)
Some parents have their children on lists for these schools from birth. You will be expected to pay a large retainer fee for their place to be held.

These fees can vary:

My daughters private school quotes:
A non-refundable Application Fee of $75.00 per child
and an enrolment bond, (we paid $500) which is repaid when the child leaves the College.
+ Normal fees
Tuition Fees for 2008
Prep to Year 6 $2,576.00 per annum
Middle School Year 7-9 $3,868.00 per annum
Senior School Year 10-12 $4,636.00 per annum
+ extras

However, one of the most expensive QLD Private schools charges:
$290 Application Fee (non-refundable)
$1,300 Enrolment Confirmation Fee (non-refundable)
+ normal fees:
2009 Fees Schedule:
Reception to year 6: $11,864 per year
Year 7 to year 12: $14,140 per year
+ extras

northernbird Jan 12th 2009 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by quoll (Post 7158208)
Government schools are obliged to find a spot for any kid living in their priority enrolment area so theoretically you can just rock up to your local school with your evidence of address, birth cert, passport and vaccination certificate and start there and then. They may not like it but they have no choice.

Out of area enrolments a whole different ballgame, the school MAY accept out of area enrolments if they have space and many do have a waitlist for such enrolments in which case for some it is put their name down at birth and for others a few months/weeks will do.

Private schools range between the "put your name down when you are thinking of doing the deed" and "give us a term's notice" through to "yes get out your chequebook we can enrol you right now"./

That is true here in WA from year 1 (aged 6). Prior to that Kindy and Pre-Primary are not compulsory and a place is not guaranteed. If you don't enrol at regular enrolment time (around July/August) then you may not get a place, the popular schools are always full.

Iando Jan 13th 2009 8:54 pm

Thanks all for the detailed responses - much appreciated

hereshoping Jan 13th 2009 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by quoll (Post 7158208)

This is a myth, a large number of schools have roll caps. If they are full according to this cap they have no obligation at all to take any more children, in fact it is illegal for them to exceed these caps.

Also the catchment principle doesn't really apply in Oz, that's not how places are allocated (at least in VIC)

quoll Jan 13th 2009 11:47 pm

I am pretty sure that once a child reaches compulsory school age a place must be found for them in their local school - Ballarat certainly has zones, my niece was zoned for a school she really didnt want to attend and tried to get into one in another zone but was unsuccessful.

Some states have maps of the boundaries (Qld and ACT definitely do), cant find one for Vic I admit but I find it hard to believe that they dont, otherwise how can they determine who to take and who not to take.

As it is the responsibility of the Dept of Education to provide for every child, if there are too many kids they roll in demountables.

Edited to add - see http://www.liveinvictoria.vic.gov.au...1&contentId=-1 about Victoria where zones are specifically mentioned.

ABCDiamond Jan 14th 2009 12:45 am

Originally Posted by hereshoping (Post 7164327)
This is a myth, a large number of schools have roll caps. If they are full according to this cap they have no obligation at all to take any more children, in fact it is illegal for them to exceed these caps.

Also the catchment principle doesn't really apply in Oz, that's not how places are allocated (at least in VIC)

That may be the case for Private and Catholic school, but State schools do have an obligation to accept all children in their catchment area.

Vic:

For public primary schools (except Catholic primary schools), a child will attend the school that is in his or her neighbourhood's 'zone'. Neighbourhood schools have an obligation to accept any student who lives in their zone
QLD:

A schools prime obligation is the provision of access to an appropriate educational service for students resident within the community as defined by its local catchment area.
and:
All students who reside within the local catchment area and are eligible for enrolment in the educational program offered by the school have a right to enrolment at the school.
It has always been the case of bringing in extra teachers if required.
However, it is interesting that Victoria specifies "primary" in its above wording. ? Maybe there is another State difference ?

hereshoping Jan 14th 2009 2:29 am

Originally Posted by quoll (Post 7164501)
I am pretty sure that once a child reaches compulsory school age a place must be found for them in their local school - Ballarat certainly has zones, my niece was zoned for a school she really didnt want to attend and tried to get into one in another zone but was unsuccessful.

Some states have maps of the boundaries (Qld and ACT definitely do), cant find one for Vic I admit but I find it hard to believe that they dont, otherwise how can they determine who to take and who not to take.

As it is the responsibility of the Dept of Education to provide for every child, if there are too many kids they roll in demountables.

Edited to add - see http://www.liveinvictoria.vic.gov.au...1&contentId=-1 about Victoria where zones are specifically mentioned.

Ok- first, yes there are zones but they are much bigger than the catchment areas people are used to in the UK and in metropolitan areas will encompass a number of schools.

Second, a number of popular schools have 'enrolment ceilings' which set a limit on the number of students in each year level. They cannot and will not accept students over and above this number.

So... if you move to a neighbourhood and want a place at a school in the zone you live in, you will get one. However you may well not get the school you want, they will place your child at the school in the zone which has space, taking your preferences into account but not solely dictated by them. They also take other factors into account such as sibling placements and for some schools abilities in specific areas. http://www.wmr.vic.edu.au/enrolments.html has the details of how schools are allocated in Year 7 in Western Melbourne. There is a list at the bottom of those schools with a ceiling that means they will not accept all students in their area.

They do go into demountables if there are too many kids, and as there is a lag in most schools building policies almost all schools have some. However they will first place students in schools with spaces available. The department has an obligation to provide for all students, true, and to fulfill this obligation it has to make sure some schools are not overloaded beyond their capabilities as this will necessarily have a detrimental impact upon education.

plantpot Jan 14th 2009 2:35 am

Originally Posted by hereshoping (Post 7164327)

It applies in the North Shore in Sydney.

viviennef Jan 14th 2009 2:48 am

My daughter was 4 in December 2008 and so will start school in Jan 2010.
i have been told to call in June this year to enrol in June/July.

I have been to see most private and some state schools, they look nice and I am torn between buderim state school and matthew flinders college and the lutheran. I think we will probably go state until age 11.

This is by the state and the private schools.
In the Sunshine coast some schools are zoned, some arent.

In sydney it was a bit different and I would probably have gone private from the beginning. In Brisbane chapel hill state school is just perfect.

Viv

plantpot Jan 14th 2009 2:52 am

Originally Posted by viviennef (Post 7164847)
My daughter was 4 in December 2008 and so will start school in Jan 2010.
i have been told to call in June this year to enrol in June/July.

I have been to see most private and some state schools, they look nice and I am torn between buderim state school and matthew flinders college and the lutheran. I think we will probably go state until age 11.

This is by the state and the private schools.
In the Sunshine coast some schools are zoned, some arent.

In sydney it was a bit different and I would probably have gone private from the beginning. In Brisbane chapel hill state school is just perfect.

Viv

Hi Viv I am in Sydney, can you PM me with details of why you would have gone private from the beginning if you don't mind? The majority of Aussies in my area in the North Shore go public til year 5/6 then change over. Can you give me more info....