British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   School references?????? HELP (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/school-references-help-680337/)

plantpot Aug 9th 2010 3:28 am

School references?????? HELP

What needs to go in a personal reference for a school application. I need two references which state they have known me for more than 5 years and rec our family to the school community.....:rofl:

I have asked someone but they are at a loss of what to write? Any ideas? Any templates? What do they actually want to read in these type of references?

HELPPPP:eek:

JAJ Aug 10th 2010 12:56 am

Re: School references?????? HELP

What kind of school is this?

plantpot Aug 10th 2010 1:32 am

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 8765173)
What kind of school is this?

An independent boys school on the North Shore of Sydney.

Sandra Aug 10th 2010 1:45 am

It is a letter of reference stating the relationship of the referree to you. How they know you and in what capacity. Say some good things about you etc. The status of the person is an important as what they have to say, JP, School prinicple (previous school?), Doctor, etc etc

Do you attend Church can the minister be one of these people?

Our next door neighbour did ours - luckily she is a govenor of the school we wanted our daughter to go to so this helped a bit. The second referee was a work related boss and he put very little in just how long I had been in the company and my reliability as a senior member of staff. We had two others named on our application as good friends we had known for five years here but they where contacted.

Keep it simple and have contact details on the reference - this usually does the trick with no follow up

Smartinis Aug 10th 2010 2:18 am

Originally Posted by plantpot (Post 8765243)
An independent boys school on the North Shore of Sydney.

It seems a bit excessive, we had to do this 5 years ago (different school) but from what i remember we just sent copies of the boys school reports and got the school to write each of them a reference. Not sure why they need personal reference for you, you won't be attending!!

plantpot Aug 10th 2010 4:18 am

Originally Posted by Smartinis (Post 8765302)
It seems a bit excessive, we had to do this 5 years ago (different school) but from what i remember we just sent copies of the boys school reports and got the school to write each of them a reference. Not sure why they need personal reference for you, you won't be attending!!

It's not from me it's about the family as a whole, junior is not yet at school so cannot get a report from a school. All the ones I have looked at for both boys and girls have asked for a reference about the family when the kids have not started school, if they have then I would need a personal reference (about family and a school report).

plantpot Aug 10th 2010 4:19 am

Originally Posted by Sandra (Post 8765256)
It is a letter of reference stating the relationship of the referree to you. How they know you and in what capacity. Say some good things about you etc. The status of the person is an important as what they have to say, JP, School prinicple (previous school?), Doctor, etc etc

Do you attend Church can the minister be one of these people?

Our next door neighbour did ours - luckily she is a govenor of the school we wanted our daughter to go to so this helped a bit. The second referee was a work related boss and he put very little in just how long I had been in the company and my reliability as a senior member of staff. We had two others named on our application as good friends we had known for five years here but they where contacted.

Keep it simple and have contact details on the reference - this usually does the trick with no follow up

Thanks have now done this.