Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

School Quiz Help!!!! Place Names

School Quiz Help!!!! Place Names

Old Nov 9th 2006, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

parkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of light
Default School Quiz Help!!!! Place Names

Hi All
Bronwyn my 8 year old daughter came home from school last night and has a test on Monday re: place names and the states and I'm wondering if anyone on here might have any answers or pointers in the right direction. The questions are why is Sydney called Sydney, Melbourne, Cairns, Tasmania, Hobart etc. I have tried to do a google search but not being technically minded I can't seem to find the right combination. I know that Melbourne is called Melbourne after a Lord Melbourne? but thats it.

The other question is why and when did Australia become 6 states and 2 territories?

If anyone has any answers or help we would be grateful.
Sorry its not the usual expat question, but still relevant I suppose.
Thanks
Irene and Bronwyn
Old Nov 9th 2006, 7:22 pm
vivi

vivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nice
Default Re: School Quiz Help!!!! Place Names

Originally Posted by parkhigh
Hi All
Bronwyn my 8 year old daughter came home from school last night and has a test on Monday re: place names and the states and I'm wondering if anyone on here might have any answers or pointers in the right direction. The questions are why is Sydney called Sydney, Melbourne, Cairns, Tasmania, Hobart etc. I have tried to do a google search but not being technically minded I can't seem to find the right combination. I know that Melbourne is called Melbourne after a Lord Melbourne? but thats it.

The other question is why and when did Australia become 6 states and 2 territories?

Thanks
Irene and Bronwyn
Sorry in a rush but go on google put in "history of....place name " it will tell you. If I get time later will try for you! Good luck!
Old Nov 9th 2006, 7:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

parkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by vivi
Sorry in a rush but go on google put in "history of....place name " it will tell you. If I get time later will try for you! Good luck!
Great thanks very much I will have a go now.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 7:36 pm
Banned

denver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to behold

Hi All

Thanks
Irene and Bronwyn

Perth = Named after Captain Stirling's (He claimed WA as a colony for the British) birthplace, Perth in Scotland.

Tasmania is named after Abe Tasman who circumnavigated it in his boat, also the Tasman sea. Originally called Van Dieman's Land by the Dutch.

Australia became a federation in 1901 after a referendum as the colonies had many incompatible things like taxation duties (ie you had to pay tax on "exports" on goods that went from QLD to NSW) and different railway systems.

Victoria named in honour of Queen Victoria.

New South Wales because of Wales, UK.

Thats all I know, hope it helps.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

Mizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond repute

Try

http://www.wikipedia.org/
Old Nov 9th 2006, 7:37 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

Thanks
Irene and Bronwyn
Sydney - Lord Sydney (Baron Sydney, Viscount Sydney from 1789).
Melbourne - The settlement was named Melbourne in 1837 after the British Prime Minister William Lamb, 2nd Viscount Melbourne, who resided in the village of Melbourne in Derbyshire.
Cairns - named after William Wellington Cairns (the then Governor of Queensland)
Tasmania - Abel Tasmania who named the island Anthoonij van Diemenslandt, after his sponsor, the Governor of the Dutch East Indies. The name was later shortened to Van Diemen's Land by the British and then to Tasmania.
Hobart - The city was named after Lord Hobart the Colonial Secretary.

New South Wales, Queensland, South Australia, Tasmania, Victoria and Western Australia. The two major mainland territories are the Northern Territory and the Australian Capital Territory. In most respects, the territories function similarly to the states, but the Commonwealth Parliament can override any legislation of their parliaments. By contrast, federal legislation overrides state legislation only with respect to certain areas as set out in Section 51 of the Constitution; all residual legislative powers are retained by the state parliaments, including powers over hospitals, education, police, the judiciary, roads, public transport and local government.

This site has a wealth of information about Australia. http://www.nla.gov.au/oz/histsite.html
Good luck with the homework
Old Nov 9th 2006, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by denver
Hi All

Thanks
Irene and Bronwyn

Perth = Named after Captain Stirling's (He claimed WA as a colony for the British) birthplace, Perth in Scotland.

Tasmania is named after Abe Tasman who circumnavigated it in his boat, also the Tasman sea. Originally called Van Dieman's Land by the Dutch.

Australia became a federation in 1901 after a referendum as the colonies had many incompatible things like taxation duties (ie you had to pay tax on "exports" on goods that went from QLD to NSW) and different railway systems.

Victoria named in honour of Queen Victoria.

New South Wales because of Wales, UK.

Thats all I know, hope it helps.
Yippee!!! Thanks thats a great help
Old Nov 9th 2006, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kate2112
Sydney - Lord Sydney (Baron Sydney, Viscount Sydney from 1789).
Melbourne - The settlement was named Melbourne in 1837 after the British Prime Minister William Lamb, 2nd Viscount Melbourne, who resided in the village of Melbourne in Derbyshire.
Cairns - named after William Wellington Cairns (the then Governor of Queensland)
Tasmania - Abel Tasmania who named the island Anthoonij van Diemenslandt, after his sponsor, the Governor of the Dutch East Indies. The name was later shortened to Van Diemen's Land by the British and then to Tasmania.
Hobart - The city was named after Lord Hobart the Colonial Secretary.

New South Wales, Queensland, South Australia, Tasmania, Victoria and Western Australia. The two major mainland territories are the Northern Territory and the Australian Capital Territory. In most respects, the territories function similarly to the states, but the Commonwealth Parliament can override any legislation of their parliaments. By contrast, federal legislation overrides state legislation only with respect to certain areas as set out in Section 51 of the Constitution; all residual legislative powers are retained by the state parliaments, including powers over hospitals, education, police, the judiciary, roads, public transport and local government.

This site has a wealth of information about Australia. http://www.nla.gov.au/oz/histsite.html
Good luck with the homework
thanks again for the help I knew you could help us! thanks very much
!!
Old Nov 9th 2006, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

thanks again for the help I knew you could help us! thanks very much
!!
Hi sorry does anyone know why Adelaide is called Adelaide?
Bronwyn has just pulled me up!
Old Nov 9th 2006, 8:20 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi sorry does anyone know why Adelaide is called Adelaide?
Bronwyn has just pulled me up!

Named in honour of Queen Adelaide, the consort of King William IV
Old Nov 9th 2006, 10:24 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

All the state capital cities are named after people, except Perth, which is named after a place and Canberra which I don't know.

Try this site:
answers

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Nov 10th 2006, 12:08 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

Canberra:
"(Labor) proceeded to choose Canberra, a pastoral centre ...as the site for the national capital. Despite the suggestions by its more self-conscious debotees of culture to call the capital Shakespeare, the majority in the government stood firmly for the Aboriginal name."

Manning Clark, "A Short History of Australia"

Unfortunatly he doesn't mention what Canberra means, perhaps someone else knows? This was the text we had to study during my History course at uni in Brisbane so you might like to look it up if anyone's keen on Aussie history? It's a bit political but it has some different perspectives on the popular view of Australian history.
Old Nov 10th 2006, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by matildaskye
Canberra:
"(Labor) proceeded to choose Canberra, a pastoral centre ...as the site for the national capital. Despite the suggestions by its more self-conscious debotees of culture to call the capital Shakespeare, the majority in the government stood firmly for the Aboriginal name."

Manning Clark, "A Short History of Australia"

Unfortunatly he doesn't mention what Canberra means, perhaps someone else knows? This was the text we had to study during my History course at uni in Brisbane so you might like to look it up if anyone's keen on Aussie history? It's a bit political but it has some different perspectives on the popular view of Australian history.
Thanks for all of your help we have found out some really interesting information. It would be interesting to find out what Canberra means ....does anyone know?
thanks irene
Old Nov 10th 2006, 8:53 pm
Junior Showtime

Thanks for all of your help we have found out some really interesting information. It would be interesting to find out what Canberra means ....does anyone know?
thanks irene

The city was officially named in 1913. Canberra is thought to be an old Aboriginal word meaning 'meeting place'.

From http://www.kidcyber.com.au/topics/Canberra.htm
Old Nov 10th 2006, 8:58 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

It would be interesting to find out what Canberra means ....does anyone know?
thanks irene
Yep, I know the answer to that one: It means "meeting place".

It was decided that Australia would have a brand-new capital city about mid-way between Melbourne and Sydney. They designated an area in then south-eastern NSW to become the Australian Capital Territory (ACT). That region was called "Canberry" by the Aboriginals, which means "meeting place". This was chosen as the name for the new capital, but it was later changed to "Canberra".

Gina

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.