Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

School Places in Melbourne

School Places in Melbourne

Old Jun 26th 2008, 2:02 pm
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute
Default School Places in Melbourne

Please, emigrating groupies, has anyone managed to actually secure a school place for their kids BEFORE getting their visa through?

The reason I ask, is that I have sent lots of emails off to various schools I think would be good for the girls, but never have had a single reply! Not even a "Get back to us when you've got your visa"!

As some of you might know, we are having to go down the Court route to get to Oz & having a school place organised would go a long way to helping that process. Hell, even a letter from a school telling us we can't have a place until we have a visa would be better than nothing...

Maybe there's someone who knows a teacher out there who could help us with such a letter

But failing a letter saying we can't have a place, please can anyone advise us what they did when they were trying to organise schools?

Many thanks
Old Jun 27th 2008, 3:01 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: School Places in Melbourne

If it's a government school and you are in the zone they have to take your child.

We had to show passports with PR visa.

Joining both schools was a very pleasant experience - no problems whatsoever.

Ian
Old Jun 27th 2008, 3:15 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jenni,

hope you get a useful answer soon. I just did a search but couldn't find the posts I was looking for.

But I do remember that people in the past have had school places organised before they got to Oz. The post I was looking for was from someone where the school had given them an email address as well and the UK poster's kids were able to email their future classmates at the school. (Can't find the post.)

I know it would be helpful for your court case; maybe you could phone the school(s) you are thinking about?

Gina
Old Jun 27th 2008, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

Weird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really nice

Before we moved we found many of the schools more than helpful and emailed us and sent brochures. Private schools were happy to arrange special visit days and told us if spaces were available and what the registering a place fee was, but our kids ended up going to the local public school. We had contacted them in advance but we didn't ask about securing a place as it is just like the UK, you need to be living in the zone.

School holidays start today, so maybe now hasn't been the best time to get a response. I know it's not ideal but try again in 2 weeks.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 5:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

Having read your posts I now see your predicament.

Personally, as already suggested, I would pay to register at a catholic/church school and then decide when you rock up here whether you want to attend or not. You can do the same with a private school but I bet the catholic school will have the lowest deposit.

The other idea that has been suggested is a letter from VIC Education. I wouldn't go direct to VIC Education as they are not used to taking calls from migrants. I would talk to the nice people in VIC Gov's Skilled Migration department. They were always very helpful. Let them lead in getting you a letter or giving you one. I got an email from them today with a name and contact number - PM me if you want her details as I don't think it's fair on her to post them.

Here's their public contact details:
Skilled Migration enquiries:

Tel: + 61 3 9938 0556
Fax: + 61 3 9938 0547

Email: [email protected]
They were superb at answering phone calls and emails for me.

Finally, you could try the UK based:
Agent-General for Victoria
Australia Centre
Cnr Melbourne Place and the Strand
LONDON WC2B 4LG

Tel: 020 7836 2656 Fax: 020 7240 6025
The High Commission may be too busy to deal with you so try the State's local rep.

Illegitimi non carborundum,
Good luck,
Ian

Last edited by scrubbedexpat020; Jun 27th 2008 at 5:21 am.