Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

At School in Oz do they.....

Wikiposts

At School in Oz do they.....

Old Nov 24th 2005, 4:55 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: At School in Oz do they.....

Originally Posted by desperate2go
I understand your point, but no need to be so condescending. I too am a little worried that my daughter (who obviously has her British roots) will not learn alot of the history that i learnt at school. You will just have to take the time to teach them yourselves if it worries you, thats what i am going to do. I would not like her to not have that knowledge, just because we have moved to another country. It is still part of her heritage.

Why are SOME people on here so quick to jump on others if they dont put their query in a very measured way

Makes it a bit unfriendly on here sometimes i think. Shame really.
I'm sorry if I came across as condescending; it really wasn't intentional. It's just that your friend's question strikes me as more than a little naïve. Why would Australian schools teach English history? Do English schools teach Welsh, Irish and Scottish history? Perhaps they mention a snippet or two here and there, but I doubt that any child receives a comprehensive overview!

I fully understand and appreciate your desire to have your child learn about her British roots and British history; I believe that more people should think this way, whether British, Australian or any other nationality. It's important to know your cultural identity.

If you can't find a local school which teaches British/English history as some sort of extracurricular extra (a private school might do this; she might also pick it up in Years 11 & 12) you'll just have to do what you can with her at home.

Alternatively, she could look around at uni and see what they have to offer. Shouldn't be any problem there; she'll be spoiled for choice.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 5:33 am
Account Closed

Guest0424 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: At School in Oz do they.....

Originally Posted by cranni
No , but the kids are interested, my son took some pics in of places back home , buckingham palace was one place.
My advice to you is teach your kids some Australian history before they come out.
My 11 yr old felt stupid because did not know about Australia, i wish i had looked things up ont he net before we came out. Denise
good sensible advice
Old Nov 27th 2005, 11:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

desperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to all
Default Re: At School in Oz do they.....

Thanks for the apology Vash...but it was not my friend or originally my question.
I would like my daughter to learn about English history but would never expect her to be taught it in Australian schools. I will teach her myself.
The question was probably naive but i just find it a bit sad that people cant say anything naive without people belittling them.
We can ALL be naive at times
Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I'm sorry if I came across as condescending; it really wasn't intentional. It's just that your friend's question strikes me as more than a little naïve. Why would Australian schools teach English history? Do English schools teach Welsh, Irish and Scottish history? Perhaps they mention a snippet or two here and there, but I doubt that any child receives a comprehensive overview!

I fully understand and appreciate your desire to have your child learn about her British roots and British history; I believe that more people should think this way, whether British, Australian or any other nationality. It's important to know your cultural identity.

If you can't find a local school which teaches British/English history as some sort of extracurricular extra (a private school might do this; she might also pick it up in Years 11 & 12) you'll just have to do what you can with her at home.

Alternatively, she could look around at uni and see what they have to offer. Shouldn't be any problem there; she'll be spoiled for choice.