Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

At School in Oz do they.....

Wikiposts

At School in Oz do they.....

Old Nov 22nd 2005, 10:51 am
Coogee Rocks

Default Re: At School in Oz do they.....

My GF and all the Australians I have talked to about this have a very basic understanding of world History and Geography (and British history is a major part of Modern History). I would assume as pointed out below its not given a high priority on the curriculum.

Although I hate to say it I think the British education system is well respected for a reason in the regards.

I would agree with the earlier poster when they point out that history does not need to be country specific more era and event driven. I’m sure it would make it more enjoyable.

Old Nov 22nd 2005, 10:56 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Only on BE could a vaguely inocuous question about schools turn into a debate on colonialism, nationalism, flags, indigenous peoples, national identity and republicanism.

It is up to the family of course - nothing wrong with teaching your kids about their British heritage if it's important to you. Can't say I'm going to bust a gut teaching my son about British history. If quizzed I shall merely say "you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you! Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government! Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!"

Old Nov 22nd 2005, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

My kids have done history all through school, here in NSW.

In primary, History is not a seperate subject - think it's lumped into something called HSIE (Human Society and it's Environments). They covered all the usual stuff, I remember doing at that age - cavemen, ancient Egypt, early explorers etc with probably a bit more emphasis on Captain Cook than you'd get in the UK.

In High school, the syllabus seemed to have more of a world perspective, rather than being 'Australian'. One son is doing Modern History for HSC (Years 11/12) which appears to start from about 1860 and go forward. Definitely not UK-specific - the whole of Europe is covered.

I can recall one son covering WW2, in particular the war in the Pacific. It was great for me - finally got to understand the importance of the Battle of Midway, and why the Kokoda Track is so sacred here - which is something that I knew absolutely nothing about, previously.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toon williams
Can anyone answer my friends query....

Do the kids get taught English History at school in Australia??
As a teacher (not working in teaching now though) so as an ex teacher - they receive a smattering of english history when worl history is taught - which is called SOSE !

And also I read that someone replied 'do they get taught English history in England' - ANSWER -you are bloody lucky to teach the little B***** anything in the school I taught at!!
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sasbear
As a teacher (not working in teaching now though) so as an ex teacher - they receive a smattering of english history when worl history is taught - which is called SOSE !

And also I read that someone replied 'do they get taught English history in England' - ANSWER -you are bloody lucky to teach the little B***** anything in the school I taught at!!
Errr that's called classroom management. Dont feel that you were the only one to have hard working dedicated students!

The education bit happened out in the yard......

WW
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 8:59 pm
Banned

Breezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to all

Originally Posted by desperate2go
I understand your point, but no need to be so condescending. I too am a little worried that my daughter (who obviously has her British roots) will not learn alot of the history that i learnt at school. You will just have to take the time to teach them yourselves if it worries you, thats what i am going to do. I would not like her to not have that knowledge, just because we have moved to another country. It is still part of her heritage.

Why are SOME people on here so quick to jump on others if they dont put their query in a very measured way

Makes it a bit unfriendly on here sometimes i think. Shame really.
Chances are that if you were from the upper-crust or aristocracy, you wouldnt be moving to Australia.
If your ancestors were a bunch of peasants it isnt much your heritage anyway.
We, of Australia, proudly look up to no aristocracy(altohugh we do look up to people that are sh-t-loaded), and arent anyones servants.
....and most Australians, rightly so, dont give a rats about the history of English lords!
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 1:29 am
BE Enthusiast

desperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Breezey
Chances are that if you were from the upper-crust or aristocracy, you wouldnt be moving to Australia.
If your ancestors were a bunch of peasants it isnt much your heritage anyway.
We, of Australia, proudly look up to no aristocracy(altohugh we do look up to people that are sh-t-loaded), and arent anyones servants.
....and most Australians, rightly so, dont give a rats about the history of English lords!
Dear me...you need to change your username. You sound far from it to me
What happened to my country(ITS HISTORY) has everything to do with me and my family. In my opinion.
Is it the word history that is evoking such anger in the "I am a proud Australian" brigade. Is there a little bit of history envy going on here
I am also not sure where you got the impression that i wish Australians to be concerned about it at all....
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

SiennaRowe is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: At School in Oz do they.....

My daughter (8), has been learning about British Royal History, and she's only been at the school for 3 weeks.
She asked the other day..."Mum, is the queen's husband dead?

"No, honey, it just seems that way!"

Sienna xx
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 8:29 pm
Banned

Breezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to all

Dear me...you need to change your username. You sound far from it to me
What happened to my country(ITS HISTORY) has everything to do with me and my family. In my opinion.
Is it the word history that is evoking such anger in the "I am a proud Australian" brigade. Is there a little bit of history envy going on here
I am also not sure where you got the impression that i wish Australians to be concerned about it at all....
If the my kids school (in Oz) treaches them "british royal hisotry" I will complain that their time is being wasted!
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 9:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Breezey
If the my kids school (in Oz) treaches them "british royal hisotry" I will complain that their time is being wasted!
What is 'british royal hisotry' and do you mean treachery? (couldn't resist sorry).

The monarchy is inextricably linked with British history so you can't have it without the royalty if that's your objection. Would you like Australian history without the penal beginnings of white settlement and no gold rush or post WW2 migration? Is it just British history being taught that you object to? As mentioned many times before British history has to be taught as part of Australian history.

OzTennis
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 11:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

Check out the ABC TV program guide.

Cheers
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 11:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Banksia
Check out the ABC TV program guide.

Cheers
Today's listings:

4:30am Just My Luck
6:00am Custer's Last Stand Up
6:25am Batfink
6:30am Untalkative Bunny
6:35am The Magic School Bus
7:00am The Way Things Work
7:10am Sitting Ducks
7:25am Tracey McBean
7:35am Olliver's Adventures
7:45am Martin Morning
7:55am Lazy Lucy
8:00am Fifi And The Flowertots
8:10am Angelina Ballerina
8:25am Rubbadubbers
8:35am Bambaloo
9:00am Boohbah
9:20am Max And Ruby
9:25am Bananas In Pyjamas
9:30am Play School
10:00am For The Juniors
10:15am Our Animals
10:20am Our History
10:30am Many Nations, One People
10:45am Vital Systems
11:00am Food For Thought
11:15am Atoms Of Fire
11:30am Italy Inside Out

Afternoon
12:00pm Midday Report
12:30pm Something In The Air
1:00pm Down To Earth
2:00pm The Bill
3:00pm Bananas In Pyjamas
3:05pm Poko
3:30pm Play School
3:55pm Pocoyo
4:00pm Bob The Builder
4:10pm Planet Cook
4:30pm The Wild Thornberrys
4:55pm Roller Coaster (Hostings)
5:00pm Atomic Betty
5:20pm Shoebox Zoo
5:45pm Flatmania
6:05pm Doctor Who: (6N) Frontios

Evening
6:30pm Collectors
7:00pm ABC News
7:30pm The 7.30 Report
8:00pm Catalyst
8:30pm Must See TV Return Of The Chef
9:25pm Must See TV Boys Don't Dance
10:25pm Lateline

Late
11:00pm One Night The Moon
11:55pm CNNNN - The Chaser NoNstop News Network
12:25am Stagecoach Kid
1:25am Passport To Destiny
2:35am London Belongs To Me

OzTennis
Old Nov 24th 2005, 1:40 am
BE Enthusiast

desperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to all

Christ :scared:
Hope this is not indicitive of the tv generally over there
Originally Posted by OzTennis
Today's listings:

4:30am Just My Luck
6:00am Custer's Last Stand Up
6:25am Batfink
6:30am Untalkative Bunny
6:35am The Magic School Bus
7:00am The Way Things Work
7:10am Sitting Ducks
7:25am Tracey McBean
7:35am Olliver's Adventures
7:45am Martin Morning
7:55am Lazy Lucy
8:00am Fifi And The Flowertots
8:10am Angelina Ballerina
8:25am Rubbadubbers
8:35am Bambaloo
9:00am Boohbah
9:20am Max And Ruby
9:25am Bananas In Pyjamas
9:30am Play School
10:00am For The Juniors
10:15am Our Animals
10:20am Our History
10:30am Many Nations, One People
10:45am Vital Systems
11:00am Food For Thought
11:15am Atoms Of Fire
11:30am Italy Inside Out

Afternoon
12:00pm Midday Report
12:30pm Something In The Air
1:00pm Down To Earth
2:00pm The Bill
3:00pm Bananas In Pyjamas
3:05pm Poko
3:30pm Play School
3:55pm Pocoyo
4:00pm Bob The Builder
4:10pm Planet Cook
4:30pm The Wild Thornberrys
4:55pm Roller Coaster (Hostings)
5:00pm Atomic Betty
5:20pm Shoebox Zoo
5:45pm Flatmania
6:05pm Doctor Who: (6N) Frontios

Evening
6:30pm Collectors
7:00pm ABC News
7:30pm The 7.30 Report
8:00pm Catalyst
8:30pm Must See TV Return Of The Chef
9:25pm Must See TV Boys Don't Dance
10:25pm Lateline

Late
11:00pm One Night The Moon
11:55pm CNNNN - The Chaser NoNstop News Network
12:25am Stagecoach Kid
1:25am Passport To Destiny
2:35am London Belongs To Me

OzTennis
Old Nov 24th 2005, 1:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Christ :scared:
Hope this is not indicitive of the tv generally over there
It's pretty typical of TV the world over - kids programs and news before school/work; educational programs in the morning to early afternoon; programs for housewives and househusbands until school finishes then kids programs, news, documentaries etc.

Bearing in mind this is the equivalent of BBC1 and BBC2 combined I'd say it is similar to here - CBBC, Doctors, programs for schools, American series after Doctors, CBBC, Neighbours, News, Docco's, Comedy, Drama, a watershed time etc.

ABC = BBC without the compulsory banditry of over $300 licence fee per household.

OzTennis
Old Nov 24th 2005, 1:48 am
Forum Regular

Steve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really nice

Did your friend go to school?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.