Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

At School in Oz do they.....

Wikiposts

At School in Oz do they.....

Old Nov 22nd 2005, 4:36 am
Banned

Breezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to all
Default Re: At School in Oz do they.....

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Cheers mate!
Living in the Uk has taught me something I never would have understood-how different Australians actually are from the English-even if many(Australians) don't realise it.
I suppose the Americans should also stick a union jack in the corner of their flag-or risk being accused of not being "proud of their heritage".
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 4:40 am
Banned

Breezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to all

Originally Posted by NIGENABBY
I am with you totally and completely!!

I am a very proud Australian, my children will be taught to be the same proud of their heritage and that includes the UK.

I also agree our flag should represent our heritage and it that should include our Aboriginal heritage.

Glad to hear someone else is so proud of their country
The irony! being proud of ones country means not letting it get a fully fledged identity of its own.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 4:41 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: At School in Oz do they.....

Originally Posted by Breezey
I am proud of my cultural heritage too, as a seventh gen (anglo)Australian-but that doesnt mean its not time to move on and get our own identity.
We do have our own identity. There's no other country like us, and no national character like the Australian national character.

We have our own currency, our own culture, our own history, our own slang, our own traditions... etc. etc.

What more do you want?

Besides you might be a "dual citizen" type of Australian but I am only Australian-and live here in the UK under "immigration controls"-every time a cross the Uk border I am reminded what a joke the remnants of this "heritage" are.
I am not a "dual citizen" Australian; I am a 100% single-citizenship Australian, and like you I am frustrated by the immigration controls enforced upon me.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 4:51 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: At School in Oz do they.....

Living in the Uk has taught me something I never would have understood-how different Australians actually are from the English-even if many(Australians) don't realise it.
I've understood it all my life; didn't need to visit the UK for that!

I suppose the Americans should also stick a union jack in the corner of their flag-or risk being accused of not being "proud of their heritage".
I wasn't accusing anyone of not being proud of their heritage.

What the Yanks do is their own business; I'm simply talking about Australia.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 7:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Jack grade 4, just did the arrival of the first fleet etc, they all had to get up on stage dressed as convicts and sing that Botany Bay song while they all linked arms and swayed across the stage

Last term they did Ned Kelly and dressed up in silver bin liners with tin foil around the heads. No english history or history books but a lot of fun learning the aussie bits, they also did a term on aboriginal history, loads of fun with body paint, digerydoos etc think that was grade 2. Odd thing tho, grade 6 kid hasnt done any history it seems to get done by play in earlier grades. I suppose there isnt really that much history to cover.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 7:42 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
History today is more about looking at the causes and effects of things in the past - how one thing lead to another - for example, did American foreign policy infuence the spread of communism in Asia during the Cold War? or Did the assassination of Arch Duke Ferdinand really lead to the outbreak of the first world war? It's probably more important to look at things like that, because you can then go on and apply the same investigative process to any period of history in any country. That skill is much more useful than knowing that in xxxx year yyy person did act zzz.
Finally, a sensible person!

Looking at cause and effect (rather than learning by rote that in xxxx year yyy person did act zzz) can also mean that we learn from the mistakes of the past. If we want to avoid WW3, we need to learn to be more tolerant of each other - looking at cause and effect of historical events is a good way to learn that.

Just my view.

Gina
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 8:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Jack grade 4, just did the arrival of the first fleet etc, they all had to get up on stage dressed as convicts and sing that Botany Bay song while they all linked arms and swayed across the stage

Last term they did Ned Kelly and dressed up in silver bin liners with tin foil around the heads. No english history or history books but a lot of fun learning the aussie bits, they also did a term on aboriginal history, loads of fun with body paint, digerydoos etc think that was grade 2. Odd thing tho, grade 6 kid hasnt done any history it seems to get done by play in earlier grades. I suppose there isnt really that much history to cover.
lol.

Lets see we can do the English version: (now I think about it there is stacks of English history that is now ignored or forgotten).

Apart from some bloke stopping the ocean, and a bloke burning the cakes, English history for Jack in Grade 4 starts with when King Harold marched up and down the country, went to Stamford Bridge, (reminds me of a football stadia) then copped it in the eye at Hastings.

Then we have a bit of Plague, with peasants covered in muck, - think Monty Python; maybe a mention of Magna if you're in the top set, followed by a bit of Shakespeare and Henry and Elizabeth, then a jolly Civil war, Industrial Revolution, "Kiss me Hardy" and "England Expects" at Trafalgar, 2 World Wars (and 1 World Cup) then ...nothing apart from EU debacles and wrangling.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toon williams
Can anyone answer my friends query....

Do the kids get taught English History at school in Australia??
My daughter has just done Medieval England at school and she is in year 6. It was done as a project and they finished with a medieval day where they all went dressed up and had a medieval banquet and medieval games. She thoroughly enjoyed it and I am sure the information learnt will be remembered.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 8:54 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

The irony! being proud of ones country means not letting it get a fully fledged identity of its own.
And there speaks a died-in-the wool republican .
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 9:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Kids just reminded me, although they dont do english history (my kids are big readers at home) the school and public library have the horrible history series, you know the ones vicous vikings, evil edwardians etc, the books are well worn when they hire them, so they must get well read here even thos its english history.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 9:15 am
Fighting my corner

Arrow Re: At School in Oz do they.....

Originally Posted by jad n rich

When I was a kid, we started history lessons in Grade 4.

Australian, of course; first fleet and all that.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 9:15 am
NEO LIVES

CORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of light

Yes ...everybody that speaks English as a first language has to learn English history....I read this in a newspaper ...so it must be true..
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

You mean about how other peoples living in pink coloured places on the world map were actively encouraged to abandon their culture in favour of the new way, enforced by armed men in red coats?

I always wondered about the logic of wearing heavy uniforms in hot climates

WW
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 9:45 am
NEO LIVES

CORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
You mean about how other peoples living in pink coloured places on the world map were actively encouraged to abandon their culture in favour of the new way, enforced by armed men in red coats?

I always wondered about the logic of wearing heavy uniforms in hot climates

WW
Yeah!.....but we didn't make them eat Macdonalds...!!!!
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

desperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
They actually taught British history at my old school (Launceston College, Tasmania) but only at years 11 and 12.

The course was later discontinued, due to lack of interest and lack of relevance.

Your friend might need to be reminded that he/she is moving to a different country with its own history.
I understand your point, but no need to be so condescending. I too am a little worried that my daughter (who obviously has her British roots) will not learn alot of the history that i learnt at school. You will just have to take the time to teach them yourselves if it worries you, thats what i am going to do. I would not like her to not have that knowledge, just because we have moved to another country. It is still part of her heritage.

Why are SOME people on here so quick to jump on others if they dont put their query in a very measured way

Makes it a bit unfriendly on here sometimes i think. Shame really.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.