Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

At School in Oz do they.....

Wikiposts

At School in Oz do they.....

Old Nov 22nd 2005, 2:31 am
Banned

Breezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to all
Default Re: At School in Oz do they.....

Originally Posted by toon williams
Can anyone answer my friends query....

Do the kids get taught English History at school in Australia??
As an Australian-I say , please dont come to Oz, you wont like it.
I can answer your question-history generally isnt as much emphasised in Oz as is in the Uk.
A bit of English history is taught-which is appropriate considering our British heritage. Not much however. A bit of Australian history-again not much.
More emphasis on global events like the WW2 (not centred around Australia or the UK) etc.
A bit of Aboirginal history. Most Australians(outside of cultured circles) no virtually nothing of Enlgish history.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 2:39 am
Banned

Breezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Three Legs
We have very strong connections with the *Jeeeeeermans* (c) Stan Boardman but I don't hear my kids coming home singing "Home on the Rhine" ...
I think you make an interesting point here. I was listening to a radio quiz here in the UK and ten young students were asked to answer yes or no to the question -Is English primarily a latin language-nine answered yes!
One thing I will say is that Anglo-Australians generally have a better idea of who the anglo-saxons(maybe because the term is used there so often) were.
It amazes me how little young English no of their background-few would even realise they are basically of german origin.
No one begrudges the English having a created their own seperate identity , but we Australians, some believe(mmm unfortunately our PM-included), may never develop our own.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 2:45 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: At School in Oz do they.....

Originally Posted by Amazulu
British & Australian history is intertwined. A fact a lot of Aussies choose to forget. Australia as we know it would not exist without Britain. If they are not teaching some relevant British history, then the pupils are not being taught history properly.
We are taught those parts of British history which are relevant to Australian history.

Nobody is trying to forget that Australia wouldn't exist without Britain.

Seen our flag lately?
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 2:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Jensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
We are taught those parts of British history which are relevant to Australian history.

Seen our flag lately?
Yep, saw loads of 'em at Twickers a week or so ago!
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 2:49 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

Is that the bit about the little sailing boat full of crims ...

Dons tin hat and runs for cover

Seen our flag lately?
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 2:51 am
Banned

Seen our flag lately?

Its well time for that to be changed.
Our national flag is like the front page of our passport-an embarasment(along with my spelling)
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 3:16 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Breezey
Its well time for that to be changed.
Our national flag is like the front page of our passport-an embarasment(along with my spelling)

I don't know, I think it's quite a good flag actually. Nowhere near as good as the now defunct Hammer and Sickle, but up there with some of the better ones. At least it's not a dull and bland tricolore like so many countries have.

Back to the topic though, I don't think that there's much English history in schools in the UK anymore. You learn about the ancient civilisations etc in primary, then you go onto some of the more globalo issues for GCSE - The Russian Revolution and the Cold War, Hitler, Germany and WW2, The post war middle eastern confrontations, the demise of the British Empire in Africa and Asia.

You can look at the more classical (and arguably more abstract and perhaps complex) history (Tudor England etc) in A level.

History today is more about looking at the causes and effects of things in the past - how one thing lead to another - for example, did American foreign policy infuence the spread of communism in Asia during the Cold War? or Did the assassination of Arch Duke Ferdinand really lead to the outbreak of the first world war? It's probably more important to look at things like that, because you can then go on and apply the same investigative process to any period of history in any country. That skill is much more useful than knowing that in xxxx year yyy person did act zzz.

If the OP's friend's (?) children take an interest in English history later on in life, then they have the skills to go and investigate it for themselves. On the other hand, they may find the history of South America from the Inca's to the present day to be more their bag. At least they will know how to follow it up.

Personally, I think much of English history is a bunch of tedious guff compared to some of the juicier parts of world history...

My $0.02 anyway.

S
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 3:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Lordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud of

If I was your friends kids and English History was off the agenda, I'd breath a huge sigh of relief.

I found the whole subject to be one big yawn, mostly due to the dire, monotone, git who attempted to teach it. Mrs Clews, if you're reading this - get a job where you don't have to communicate with anyone.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 3:38 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I don't know, I think it's quite a good flag actually. Nowhere near as good as the now defunct Hammer and Sickle, but up there with some of the better ones. At least it's not a dull and bland tricolore like so many countries have.

Back to the topic though, I don't think that there's much English history in schools in the UK anymore. You learn about the ancient civilisations etc in primary, then you go onto some of the more globalo issues for GCSE - The Russian Revolution and the Cold War, Hitler, Germany and WW2, The post war middle eastern confrontations, the demise of the British Empire in Africa and Asia.

You can look at the more classical (and arguably more abstract and perhaps complex) history (Tudor England etc) in A level.

History today is more about looking at the causes and effects of things in the past - how one thing lead to another - for example, did American foreign policy infuence the spread of communism in Asia during the Cold War? or Did the assassination of Arch Duke Ferdinand really lead to the outbreak of the first world war? It's probably more important to look at things like that, because you can then go on and apply the same investigative process to any period of history in any country. That skill is much more useful than knowing that in xxxx year yyy person did act zzz.

If the OP's friend's (?) children take an interest in English history later on in life, then they have the skills to go and investigate it for themselves. On the other hand, they may find the history of South America from the Inca's to the present day to be more their bag. At least they will know how to follow it up.

Personally, I think much of English history is a bunch of tedious guff compared to some of the juicier parts of world history...

My $0.02 anyway.

S
Its a flag with a ALIEN flag in the corner
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 3:58 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: At School in Oz do they.....

Originally Posted by Three Legs
Is that the bit about the little sailing boat full of crims ...

Dons tin hat and runs for cover

No, it's the bit about the overcrowded little island at the edge of the Atlantic, with a poor standard of living and a decrepit infrastructure.

Oh, wait - my mistake. That was a news report on ITV last night.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 3:59 am
Fighting my corner

Arrow Re: At School in Oz do they.....

Originally Posted by Breezey
Its well time for that to be changed.Our national flag is like the front page of our passport-an embarasment(along with my spelling)
I disagree. I am proud of our flag, I am proud of my passport, and I am proud of my cultural heritage.

Our flag needs no more improvement other than the addition of the Aboriginal flag to the top right hand corner, opposite the Union Jack.

We should be proud of our history, and our history should be reflected in our flag.

Even the Brits do this; why shouldn't we?
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 4:24 am
BE Enthusiast

NIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really nice

I disagree. I am proud of our flag, I am proud of my passport, and I am proud of my cultural heritage.

Our flag needs no more improvement other than the addition of the Aboriginal flag to the top right hand corner, opposite the Union Jack.

We should be proud of our history, and our history should be reflected in our flag.

I am with you totally and completely!!

I am a very proud Australian, my children will be taught to be the same proud of their heritage and that includes the UK.

I also agree our flag should represent our heritage and it that should include our Aboriginal heritage.

Glad to hear someone else is so proud of their country
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 4:24 am
Banned

I am proud of my cultural heritage too, as a seventh gen (anglo)Australian-but that doesnt mean its not time to move on and get our own identity.
Besides you might be a "dual citizen" type of Australian but I am only Australian-and live here in the UK under "immigration controls"-every time I cross the UK border I am reminded of what a joke the remnants of this "heritage" are, and after the all the questions by the immigration officer-how irrelevant it is. Dont get me wrong, I know its worse the other way around(ie Brits going to Oz).

Last edited by Breezey; Nov 22nd 2005 at 4:27 am.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 4:31 am
Fighting my corner

Thumbs up Re: At School in Oz do they.....

Originally Posted by NIGENABBY

I am a very proud Australian, my children will be taught to be the same proud of their heritage and that includes the UK.

I also agree our flag should represent our heritage and it that should include our Aboriginal heritage.

Cheers mate!
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 4:32 am
Banned

Originally Posted by NIGENABBY

I think you and vash miss the point-just becuase one is "proud of their heritage" doesnt mean they should spend eternity mired in it-denied the right to do what England did-create their own!
Australia is a great nation and doesnt need to be tributary to any other country.
As another poster pointed out-should the English still constantly honor their German heritage-(oops you didnt know the English are basically Germans)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.