School lunches

Old Jul 19th 2012, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Mummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to all
Default Re: School lunches

So where do we start?
Old Jul 19th 2012, 11:33 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I have my own little lunchbox each day containing - 2 raw carrots, a tub of soup, bread roll, activia yoghurt and a muesli bar.

Go me!

However, husband is bringing back some choccy brownies tonight so just a slight deviation.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I'm honestly amazed by some of these stories First off I've never heard of kids only getting a set amount of time to eat before playing at lunch and I've also not heard of schools having no canteen, the girls have always had school lunches. Maybe I've just been extremely lucky I also don't understand kids who don't eat veg, mine have pigged out on a majority of cooked or raw veg since they were weaned. Why don't they eat veggies?
First-born used to eat everything we put on his plate including vegetables. Then he turned 4 and somehow decided that green stuff was yuck, red stuff had to be ketchup only and any other colour might only be eaten if dipped in the red stuff. He will eat any kind of meat though, including spicy chorizo. He is quite the carnivore...
Second-born loves tomatoes, salad and other green bits. He was the one who refused any home-made foods as a baby and toddler and would only eat Heinz's own.

Go figure
Old Jul 19th 2012, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to all

Just seen on breakfast tv a tag saying free fruit to be stopped in Victorian schools, grrrrr
Old Jul 19th 2012, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

carzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud of

If you volunteer in your school canteen you get to see first hand what's on offer, otherwise how do you know if the chicken nuggets are 100% chicken breast or the scrag end of a chicken disguised in ruskalin? I found everything to be freezer to oven type stuff and it didn't surprise me. Volunteers come in all shapes and sizes and might volunteer for anything from one week or seven years but anyone can chuck something in an oven.

What did horrify me was the TNT's on sale. Brightly coloured frozen ice full of chemicals guaranteed to send your child hyper. I probably slowed the lines right up, "a TNT?, are you sure? wouldn't you prefer the ice cream cup? or a quenchies? the blue TNT? could you at least have the orange one?, No? here you go then" sorry teachers!
Old Jul 19th 2012, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy3
Just seen on breakfast tv a tag saying free fruit to be stopped in Victorian schools, grrrrr
You do realise that watching breakfast TV in Australia is the first step in the cunning evil plan to get you and your family brainwashed into thinking David Koch and Karl Whatshisname are gods and should be elected as prime ministers, most likely jointly.

The next step is to turn you into sausage sizzle kings and queens, destroying all your taste buds in the process.

And the last one is citizenship
Old Jul 19th 2012, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Haha, will get chucked out first for causing trouble!
Old Jul 19th 2012, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy3
Free Fruit Friday - my daughter is well narked they've pulled the funding and I feel her second letter to a politician is on its way.

She wrote to Julia about colourings in lollies as they send her hyper (proper hyper and enraged) and she hates the feeling but hates missing out more. She got a letter back but it was spintastic and written in jargonese that a 6 year old (she's now 7) couldn't possibly understand.

Whenever I've asked about what to do in relation to getting things changed (eg. in education) the stock answer from everyone is 'Write to the state/federal MP for your area, or the Premier etc.' Need to find one who will actually act now!
Old Jul 19th 2012, 11:17 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: School lunches

Attached is our canteen menu from our Primary School in Parkdale, Melbourne.

We are not allowed to make a loss, we have to at least break even and as a result we found that 100% healthy food could not work financially, so we had to bring pies etc on to the menu otherwise the canteen would have had to close.

BB
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
19 July.Canteen Menu.pdf (1.23 MB, 138 views)
Old Jul 20th 2012, 4:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Your menu looks ok, better than ours so mine won't be eating from the canteen, no matter how much they beg!
Old Jul 20th 2012, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

carzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

We are not allowed to make a loss, we have to at least break even and as a result we found that 100% healthy food could not work financially, so we had to bring pies etc on to the menu otherwise the canteen would have had to close.

BB
That was a thing at our canteen too - the need to make money. When the part time paid supervisor had to increase her hours (and pay) to meet the 15hrs per week requirement to continue getting her benefits it presented a real problem. The only way to make the money to cover her wages was to cook/bake from scratch and there weren't enough people volunteering to heat pies let alone commit to cooking. In the end she had to leave as the canteen couldn't support her wages.

I don't get the feeling the point of the canteen at our school is to provide healthy meals for all, it's about making money for the P&C (over $10,000 pa) which then paid for things like white boards in the classrooms, lunch for a minority and treats for the rest.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 10:50 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

In our primary school there is no canteen, but lunch orders are avaliable from the local milk bar, but its the usual pies, hot dogs and pizza options. I send him with a packed lunch. Lunch is eaten in the class room, in a circle, on the floor.

The eldest 2 are in secondary and there is a canteen, but its expensive, for the two of them it would be $16/18 a day....

So they sort themselves out and take what they want to school, at 15 and 18 they are old enough!
Old Jul 20th 2012, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

This is truly a surprise that they feed the kids this crap..
Old Jul 20th 2012, 1:32 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, not cheap.

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

BB