Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

School Lunch options

School Lunch options

Old Jan 29th 2010, 8:42 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: School Lunch options

Originally Posted by Zenshin
My daughter has 2 more weeks of schooling here in the UK so we decided as a treat we would pay for the school dinners for those 2 weeks. Was only £18 for 2 weeks. The menu selection is really quite decent too.

Looking at those Australian school menus and what you get for your money it looks a bit disappointing especially if your child is not that into salad. I hope she really enjoys the school dinners as it looks like she will be back to lunch boxes for school.
Would any of these be better:

HOT FOOD

$3.20 Cheese and Spinach Roll
$2.40 Pizza Rounda / Hot Dog / Sausage Roll
$3.20 Beef Traveller Pie
$1.60 Mini Meat Pies (2)
$3.20 Chicken & Vege Traveller Pie
$3.50 Meat Pie
$3.50 Aussie Pastie
$3.50 Lunch Box Lasagne
$3.70 Potato Pie
$4.10 Chicken Burger (Cheese, Lettuce, Mayo)
$4.20 Beef Burger (Cheese, Lettuce, Tomato, Mayo)
$4.80 Toasted Focaccia (Chicken, Cheese, etc.) *
$2.40 Mini Dagwood Dog (with Sauce)

Old Jan 29th 2010, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

Zenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to all

Makes me wonder why people say the UK school dinners aren't any good?
They look like a more well rounded meal than what is being offered in Australia.

Oh well never mind. I suppose the school canteen food is ok for the odd occassion but I certainly wouldn't want her choosing rubbish like sausage rolls or burgers every day. Guess I will have to invest in a couple of ice bricks to keep her lunch fresh in the summer.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 8:55 am
ABCDiamond

Not that I have ever mentioned UK schools dinners, but if I did, I would not be overly nice about them, but only because when I last had school dinners, they were 1/- a day, and well and truly pre James Oliver era

I have heard they are pretty good these days.

Actually it may have been 1/- a week...

Last edited by ABCDiamond; Jan 29th 2010 at 9:07 am.

Old Jan 29th 2010, 9:00 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

I LOVED school dinners. I think though there is a difference to going into a canteen when its tipping down with rain and ordering yourself a meal to popping into the tuck shop here and going to sit under a tree to eat it. Somehow spaghetti bolognese doesnt quite work!
Old Jan 29th 2010, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

My 7yo's lunch order for the week: Aloo Paratha; Rajma (Red Kidney Beans) & Brown Rice; Chicken & Mayo sandwich; Boneless Tandoori Chicken and roti; mini pizzas; Chicken curry & Brown Rice... She is lucky as she gets to eat all this fresh as I drop off her lunch at school.

My 15yo's lunch order is simpler: A Fresh fruit Salad daily AND A pasta and veggie salad (containing whole Grain Pasta, red kidney beans, Chickpeas, mung sprouts, carrots, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers with a dash of lemon, pepper and chaat masala); Soy Burger; Stir fried veg rice...etc...

All made at home....you can tell I have a lot of time on my hands....actually it takes me about an hour to cook

Last edited by IndieG; Jan 29th 2010 at 9:05 am.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

Zenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to all

Yeah I must admit, a lot of the parents seem a lot more positive about them since Jamie Oliver. He was a good choice to promote it.

It is a foreign concept for me since I grew up in Australia and most kids took a lunch box to school. I think it is also a good idea that they have to sit at tables to eat their meal. I remember sitting on the grass or on a bench and balancing my lunch box. Is this still the same in Australian schools?
Old Jan 29th 2010, 9:08 am
ABCDiamond

I remember sitting on the grass or on a bench and balancing my lunch box. Is this still the same in Australian schools?
From what I have seen, yes.

Old Jan 29th 2010, 9:10 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

yes. I think eating by a table is nice and also I used to love the social aspect as an under 12 where you were placed on tables.

I just drool over when I was mother and Mr Wintle was father....
Old Jan 29th 2010, 9:28 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

What's an Aussie Pastie'

Anything like a Cornish one?
Old Jan 29th 2010, 9:48 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
What's an Aussie Pastie'

Anything like a Cornish one?
The Old Aussie Pastie
1/2 lb steak
1/2 lb potatoes
1 onion
1 teaspoon chopped parsley
1 turnip
Pepper and salt
Rough puff pastry

Old Jan 29th 2010, 9:56 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
The Old Aussie Pastie
1/2 lb steak
1/2 lb potatoes
1 onion
1 teaspoon chopped parsley
1 turnip
Pepper and salt
Rough puff pastry
http://www.recipelover.com.au/recipe...609_medium.jpg
Thanks for that. Was wondering whether to make some or not but I might as well just carry on making Cornish pasties or steak and potatoe pie.

I'm happy to see that school dinners are cheaper here though. For once Italy is doing something decent in schools.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 10:10 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

They look like a more well rounded meal than what is being offered in Australia.

Oh well never mind. I suppose the school canteen food is ok for the odd occassion but I certainly wouldn't want her choosing rubbish like sausage rolls or burgers every day. Guess I will have to invest in a couple of ice bricks to keep her lunch fresh in the summer.
Based on a small example of one school's menu?
Old Jan 29th 2010, 10:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter's school menu in Adelaide;

Sandwiches - bread, baguette or wrap. Baguettes baked daily in school;

ham, chicken, cheese, vegemite etc, $3.00 salad $1

Toasted foccia - as above $3.80 - $5.60

Weekly specials (served once a week) ; Sushi, teryaki chicken, wedges

Daily meals always available;

Homemade veg stir fry $4.20
Homemade pasta with veg sauce $4.20
low fat chicken burger $4.70
low fat Chicken wrap $4.70
Baked potato $4.70
Salad (6 sorts available) $5.30

Snacks; fruit $1, fruit salad $3, popcorn $1.60

Seems to be very much more health aware. Many things are marked less than 3% fat and food is colour coded - red for 'bad' don't eat often, amber for sometimes and green for often.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

Think I need to print this off for our school - there its definately either unappealing or unhealthy and expensive compared to UK school dinners
Old Feb 5th 2010, 11:35 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
and... some people might be interested in knowing what some options are over here
Where is the shusi, the pasta, the fish or chicken, the additional snacks/treats?