Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

school help again

school help again

Old Aug 4th 2005, 3:39 am
BE Enthusiast

pootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant future
Default school help again

hi all you guys helped me out the other day re the 10c coin so if its ok i need to pick your brains again

the kids have book week coming up & the school has decided to have fancy dress ( excellent! )

so not only have i got to figure out & make 3 costumes - they have decided to set a theme
wait for it ............

"READING ROCKS"

so each child will have to dress up as a rock related character EG rock star , etc

so i need 3 different ones - i have been trying to wrack my brain all morning & can only seem to think of harry potter & philosophers stone, & flintstones but i am guessing so will everyone else

anyone else got anyother ideas ??

many thanks

pootle
Old Aug 4th 2005, 4:13 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: school help again

Originally Posted by pootle26
hi all you guys helped me out the other day re the 10c coin so if its ok i need to pick your brains again

the kids have book week coming up & the school has decided to have fancy dress ( excellent! )

so not only have i got to figure out & make 3 costumes - they have decided to set a theme
wait for it ............

"READING ROCKS"

so each child will have to dress up as a rock related character EG rock star , etc

so i need 3 different ones - i have been trying to wrack my brain all morning & can only seem to think of harry potter & philosophers stone, & flintstones but i am guessing so will everyone else

many thanks

pootle

When I read things like this I'm SO glad my kids are well away from Primary School. Their school did a Book Week Parade every year so over the years they were at Primary School I had to come up with a total of 16 different outfits. Fun for the first couple of years, but very unexciting towards the end.

Why not do Elvis or Elton or Ozzy (or even the whole family?). Get the face/hair right and you don't have to worry too much about the clothing.

You don't have to overboard with the costumes (though you always get some kids who's mothers sewed for weeks and some kids whose mothers only remembered the night before).
Old Aug 4th 2005, 4:42 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

wait for it ............

"READING ROCKS"

many thanks

pootle
You have my every sympathy I hate fancy dress days - hopefully these are waning now being replaced with high school mufti days which means a great argument with what fashion should and should not be worn!

Anyway my tip - where possible use a sheet at the base cut into a square and hand opening at two corners and the neck hole along one side - basically so they look like a blank canvas........

from this basic design I can paint on the sheet what I need and colour the face to match or possible create a head dress. Minimal sewing if poss.

So I thought you could have a beach scene - lots of yellow and blue and a big green & brown splodge in the centre with wispy bits of crepe paper attached and some pictures of various small fish - Rock Pool!

Make the sheet wrapping a tighter tube and paint in a twisted spiral up and round - Stick of Rock!

Brown sheet with black balled up paper stuck on at various places - Rock Bun?

Believe me I could possible think up a few even worse ones - in my case as long as the kids caught on with it I believed it was a success.

I painted the whites sheet once with playing card symbols and sent them as the playing cards out of Alice in Wonderland.

Not sure of these
Breaking Rock - dress as prisoner with pick axe?
Rock Hard - Lots of balck and chains
Rock Solid - paint sheet like a wall
Rock Follies - very seventies?
Punk Rock - but I bet that one gets done a lot

Cheers Sandra
Old Aug 4th 2005, 4:53 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry just reread and saw you said character - whoops missed that.

Does it have to be a character from a book?
Old Aug 4th 2005, 5:55 am
BE Enthusiast

pootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant future

hi - wow such fantastic ideas!!

i have printed them off for future reference for i fear that this will be the first of many!!

Unfortunately i think it DOES have to be a character from a book
this is from the letter

"each child will have to dress up as a rock related character , EG rock star , rolling stones, flintstones etc"

so not really sure - think i will have to find out more!!
they have only been at school 2 weeks so i wanna make sure i get it right - they stick out enough already!! lol

pootle 26
Old Aug 4th 2005, 6:00 am
ABCDiamond

they have only been at school 2 weeks so i wanna make sure i get it right - they stick out enough already!! lol

pootle 26
An ideal time to go and chat to the teacher, see what they say. Could be very useful

Old Aug 4th 2005, 6:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

pootle 26

Free dress/theme days are taken pretty casually, like book week a few kids might wear a costume, most will wear a nemo the fish T shirt or lion king shorts etc, it might be best to check with the teacher how much participation might go on, sending the kids in full elvis reagalia might end up with them being pretty embarassed if everyone else just has their ninja turtle tshirt on
Old Aug 4th 2005, 6:23 am
ABCDiamond

Here's an example of mine at school Fancy dress
Attached Thumbnails school help again-fancy-ress.jpg  

Old Aug 4th 2005, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
That looks so similar to our school photos! Doesn't matter what the 'theme' is, all the kindergarten girls come as fairies!
Old Aug 4th 2005, 7:09 am
Gone Senile Member

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Love the photo

I though of a few rock characters but to be honest the links are slightly tenuous!

Picnic at Hanging Rock - dress up in olden day clothes - or use a big red sack and go as Uluru Must get extra points for being an Australian Rock.

Fraggle rock - hairy jumper and deely bopper eye things ! Old mohair jumpers are good for this sort of thing.

School of Rock - dress as a school child with a guitar!

I am sure there will be a Famous Native American called rock something or little pebble - worth a google? Easy costume - no shirt and feather in hair, lots of war paint, kids love it.

...this is a very hard one - ask the teacher like the others have suggested a little clarity could make this much easier for you I hope.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 7:32 am
Just Joined

Nightmair is just really niceNightmair is just really niceNightmair is just really niceNightmair is just really niceNightmair is just really niceNightmair is just really niceNightmair is just really niceNightmair is just really nice

Stone soup is easy to do. They dress up as a peddler with a cooking pot; put in a large stone and vegetables. I have included the short story which can be found in many children's story books around the world.

Gina

THE STONE SOUP STORY
Once upon a time, somewhere in Eastern Europe, there was a great famine. People jealously hoarded whatever food they could find, hiding it even from their friends and neighbors. One day a peddler drove his wagon into a village, sold a few of his wares, and began asking questions as if he planned to stay for the night.

"There's not a bite to eat in the whole province," he was told. "Better keep moving on."

"Oh, I have everything I need," he said. "In fact, I was thinking of making some stone soup to share with all of you." He pulled an iron cauldron from his wagon, filled it with water, and built a fire under it. Then, with great ceremony, he drew an ordinary-looking stone from a velvet bag and dropped it into the water.

By now, hearing the rumor of food, most of the villagers had come to the square or watched from their windows. As the peddler sniffed the "broth" and licked his lips in anticipation, hunger began to overcome their skepticism.

"Ahh," the peddler said to himself rather loudly, "I do like a tasty stone soup. Of course, stone soup with CABBAGE -- that's hard to beat."

Soon a villager approached hesitantly, holding a cabbage he'd retrieved from its hiding place, and added it to the pot. "Capital!" cried the peddler. "You know, I once had stone soup with cabbage and a bit of salt beef as well, and it was fit for a king."

The village butcher managed to find some salt beef...and so it went, through potatoes, onions, carrots, mushrooms, and so on, until there was indeed a delicious meal for all. The villagers offered the peddler a great deal of money for the magic stone, but he refused to sell and traveled on the next day. And from that time on, long after the famine had ended, they reminisced about the finest soup they'd ever had.