Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

School of hairdressing on gold coast or Brisbane?

School of hairdressing on gold coast or Brisbane?

Old Jul 6th 2008, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

sambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: School of hairdressing on gold coast or Brisbane?

Originally Posted by stumpysean
but what about not commuting, actually going to the Gold coast campus?

I'm presuming that by the time i get there in March/april time the salon management will be up and running and i wouldn't need to comute. I could complete the 2 yr course on the gold coast.

Where is better for a family, the Gold coast or Brisbane suburbs?

Hellllllllllllllllllpppppppppppppp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am at the Gold Coast campus doing my hairdressing level 3 course and the girls that are doing the diploma there have been told that the salon managment part will be starting there as from October 2008.

Cheers

Esther
Old Jul 6th 2008, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

tasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sambo76
I am at the Gold Coast campus doing my hairdressing level 3 course and the girls that are doing the diploma there have been told that the salon managment part will be starting there as from October 2008.

Cheers

Esther
That is great news. How is the course? Any info you could give me and Becky that are looking into coming over to do it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Tracy
Old Jul 6th 2008, 9:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

sambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by tasmas
That is great news. How is the course? Any info you could give me and Becky that are looking into coming over to do it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Tracy
Hi Tracey

I am doing the course 3 days a week over 72 weeks and have about 22 weeks left! The Gold Coast is great, we much prefer it than the city - much more chilled out and living next to the beach is great. The course is very hands on and you have clients after about 10 weeks, and that is hair cutting, colouring, perming etc, so there is no messing about, straight in the deep end ha ha! The teacher are all (mostly) great and you do get lots of clients as you are just outside the shopping mall. It's very hard work sometimes and not as easy as I originally thought, but, hey we are on Gold Coast, the beach os 50 metres and it's great here.

Hope this helps

Esther
Old Jul 6th 2008, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

tasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sambo76
Hi Tracey

I am doing the course 3 days a week over 72 weeks and have about 22 weeks left! The Gold Coast is great, we much prefer it than the city - much more chilled out and living next to the beach is great. The course is very hands on and you have clients after about 10 weeks, and that is hair cutting, colouring, perming etc, so there is no messing about, straight in the deep end ha ha! The teacher are all (mostly) great and you do get lots of clients as you are just outside the shopping mall. It's very hard work sometimes and not as easy as I originally thought, but, hey we are on Gold Coast, the beach os 50 metres and it's great here.

Hope this helps

Esther
Hi Esther

It sounds great. I'm so looking forward to it. But it can't come around soon enough!!! I'm ready to work hard, but also enjoy the sun, sea and sand. I'll be doing 5 days a week for 10 weeks, then down to 4 days a week then down to 2 days a week for the management diploma bit. What I'll be doing for 20 hours work is anyones idea. Is work easy to come by? Me and OH are willing to do anything.
Thanks for getting back with info. Appreciate it.

Tracy
Old Jul 6th 2008, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

stumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nice

Yes thanks for all the info guys, I'm glued to this computer at the moment!

My family think i'm a recluse!

I still can't understand how you can complete the course in 72 weeks when on th eimmi website it clearly says that it has to be a 2 year 92 weeks course to pass for PR?

Can someone explain please?????

p.s I am blonde!!!
Old Jul 6th 2008, 10:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light

Yes thanks for all the info guys, I'm glued to this computer at the moment!

My family think i'm a recluse!

I still can't understand how you can complete the course in 72 weeks when on th eimmi website it clearly says that it has to be a 2 year 92 weeks course to pass for PR?

Can someone explain please?????

p.s I am blonde!!!
Hi guys, it has to be a 2 year course, which means 2 ACADEMIC years i.e. for most courses there holidays but for the hairdressing courses that are private, there are no holidays as such. You can take up to 4 weeks off per year (so I've been told) if you choose to, though must make up the time off at the end. I think 2 years academic works in at around 16 months of actual college time for TAFE courses. Though I THINK the private hairdressing courses end up being 2 full years in real time.

Hope this explains, good luck everyone!!

Mandy
Old Jul 6th 2008, 10:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

stumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nice
Question Re: School of hairdressing on gold coast or Brisbane?

Thanks Mandy!

I'm starting to get my head round it all! What a minefield.........

I notice you're on the Gold Coast? I'm thinking about going to the Gold Coast School of Hairdressing in Southport, can you tell me what the areas like or any nice areas around and what the schools are like?

Any info would be great as I don't know th earea atall and its a toss up at the mo between the Gold Coast and Brisbane/suburbs???

Any comments???
Old Jul 6th 2008, 10:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Mandy!

I'm starting to get my head round it all! What a minefield.........

I notice you're on the Gold Coast? I'm thinking about going to the Gold Coast School of Hairdressing in Southport, can you tell me what the areas like or any nice areas around and what the schools are like?

Any info would be great as I don't know th earea atall and its a toss up at the mo between the Gold Coast and Brisbane/suburbs???

Any comments???
Hi Becky,

We had chosen to come over to Brisbane initially, but the course and Gold Coast TAFE chose us as it turned out!!

I work around the Brisbane suburbs and TBH, really glad that we ended up on the Gold Coast as I as we much prefer it. We live in Pacific Pines, bout a 30 minute drive to Surfers, so although we are not a walk away to the beach or anything, it'd be double the drive to the beach from Brisbane. At the end of the day you'll love where ever you end up and everyone over here can only give you their opinion of where they are and what's right for them. You'll just have to go by instinct!! When it comes down to it, it is only 2 years and then you could move if you really wanted to?!!

Both locations seem to offer what you want so really, it comes down to the lifestyle you would prefer.

Good luck
Mandy
Old Jul 6th 2008, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Why can't it be tomorrow??????????? I wanna come now. I wanna be at the next meet dressed as Mrs Claus. I wanna meet everyone thats been so helpful. Tut, oh well, off to bed to dream about cutting, perming, bleaching. And thinking "shit, what the F**k am I doing!!!"

Tracy
Old Jul 6th 2008, 10:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Why can't it be tomorrow??????????? I wanna come now. I wanna be at the next meet dressed as Mrs Claus. I wanna meet everyone thats been so helpful. Tut, oh well, off to bed to dream about cutting, perming, bleaching. And thinking "shit, what the F**k am I doing!!!"

Tracy
Hay Tracy, the waiting game is such a pain, you feel as if life is on hold!!

Don't worry, your time will come round soon enough!! We've been here for 7 n a half months now, still loving it and still pinching ourselves at times!!

You guys'll be over for the next big meet!!

Cheers
Mandy
Old Jul 7th 2008, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Mandy

Do you have any recommendations for schools on the Goldcoast?

Is it best to leave it until we get there and have a look at a few or do we have to choose one beforehand?

boys are 8 and 10, well eldest will be 11 when we get there.

I will be probably going to the hairdressing college in Southport so ideally we will look to live in a suburb not too far from there?

Any help gratefully appreciated...........anybody???????????
Old Jul 7th 2008, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

sherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nice

Helensvale primary and high are 2 of the best on the northern part of the GC with lots of pommie kids but depends where you get a rental so don't decide too much till you get that sorted.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sherie_in_oz
Helensvale primary and high are 2 of the best on the northern part of the GC with lots of pommie kids but depends where you get a rental so don't decide too much till you get that sorted.
How far away are they from Southport roughly? I'm asking because ideally we will only be able to afford one car being on a student visa! We'll be living like students for a while! lol

I'm trying to get my bearing where different places are in comparrison to where i will need to be every day!

Old Jul 7th 2008, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Hey Becky

Does this mean you've decided on the Gold Coast? I hope so, at least I'll know someone by name if you get there the same time i'm hoping to.

Tracy
Old Jul 7th 2008, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Hey Becky

Does this mean you've decided on the Gold Coast? I hope so, at least I'll know someone by name if you get there the same time i'm hoping to.

Tracy
I think so!

I just don't fancy having to commute into Brisbane on a train/bus every day at 7.30am! I'd much rather live and study and the kids go to school in the same area........if we don't like the Gold coast after i've finished thecourse we can always move!!!!!

I've contacted Mark this am, and cancelled the Welfare course with Stefan, so i'm going in the right direction!

just starting to think about area for rentals and schools.....its such a headache because most of them have a catchment area and without visiting them its so hard to tell!

I think we'll plan on going out a month before my course starts to get a feel for the place, find a rental and a school for the kids before i have to start college. That way it won't be so stressful.....I hope lol

I should be ironing.....not sitting here doing my usual! on here....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.