British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   School of hairdressing on gold coast or Brisbane? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/school-hairdressing-gold-coast-brisbane-547082/)

stumpysean Jul 5th 2008 10:46 pm

School of hairdressing on gold coast or Brisbane?

Can someone advise whether i would be better to do the hairdressing course at 'Brisbane school of hairdressing' at their campus on the gold coast or in Brisbane?

I have been looking at doing it at the brisbane one but i have 2 boys ages 8 and 10 and don't really want to live in the city, so would have to live in a suburb outside of the city and travel in.

Would i be better off doing the course on the Gold Coast where we could live nearer the campus and possibly the boys could go to school too?

this is difficult for me as i have never been to queensland and am not sure what areas are going to be more beneficial to me and my family?

Any suggestions????:confused:

Stitch Jul 5th 2008 10:52 pm

Re: School of hairdressing on gold coast or Brisbane?

Originally Posted by stumpysean (Post 6538428)
Can someone advise whether i would be better to do the hairdressing course at 'Brisbane school of hairdressing' at their campus on the gold coast or in Brisbane?

I have been looking at doing it at the brisbane one but i have 2 boys ages 8 and 10 and don't really want to live in the city, so would have to live in a suburb outside of the city and travel in.

Would i be better off doing the course on the Gold Coast where we could live nearer the campus and possibly the boys could go to school too?

this is difficult for me as i have never been to queensland and am not sure what areas are going to be more beneficial to me and my family?

Any suggestions????:confused:

Hi,

I think the one in Brisbane has management modules whereas the GC is purely hairdressing. PaulandNic did it on the GC as has a friend of mine from Dundee. Another person I know did it at Brisbane. Try and PM Pauland Nic. They may be able to help you.

Cheers

Ginny

tasmas Jul 6th 2008 7:13 am

Originally Posted by Stitch (Post 6538450)
Hi,

I think the one in Brisbane has management modules whereas the GC is purely hairdressing. PaulandNic did it on the GC as has a friend of mine from Dundee. Another person I know did it at Brisbane. Try and PM Pauland Nic. They may be able to help you.

Cheers

Ginny

I've been informed by Mark Anderson of Brishair that the Management Modules will probably be up and running at the gold coast salon/college by Oct/Nov time. Otherwise you can go to Brisbane and do the management part of the course at 2/3/4 days a week (depending if you want to fast track or not).
Tracy

tasmas Jul 6th 2008 7:14 am

Oooops. Forgot to add smilies. Don't want to appear miserable!!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::D:D

stumpysean Jul 6th 2008 9:16 am

Originally Posted by tasmas (Post 6539290)
Oooops. Forgot to add smilies. Don't want to appear miserable!!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::D:D

Thanks for those!

I need the management modules to pass PR. As i need a full time 2 year course. If i just do hairdressing it won't be the required full 2 yrs. It looks like i will probably go to Brisbane then.

Thanks for advice guys!:)

sambo76 Jul 6th 2008 9:35 am

Originally Posted by stumpysean (Post 6539508)
Thanks for those!

I need the management modules to pass PR. As i need a full time 2 year course. If i just do hairdressing it won't be the required full 2 yrs. It looks like i will probably go to Brisbane then.

Why do you need the managment modules to pass PR?? I thought it was hairdressers Oz was after?

Annie.R Jul 6th 2008 9:39 am

I know nothing about the hairdressing course, but I do know about the Gold Coast and Brisbane.

If you choose Brisbane, you might want to choose a suburb on one of the train lines to live in as I think the hairdressing college is in the city.

In the Gold Coast you can get quite reasonable accommodation near Southport where the college is and there are quite a few schools in the area: government run, catholic primaries or private for your kids. Private education is relatively cheap in Australia compared to UK.

You may find that if they do get the management modules running in the Gold Coast, you could perhaps move? I don't know about that, but personally if you are coming to the area for lifestyle, Gold Coast beats it hands down! Your boys can enjoy the beaches and lifestyle and so can you on the weekends. Not sure when you are planning on arriving, but the school year here runs from Late January to December and has four terms.

If you choose Gold Coast, let me know and I can give you some more hints and tips!

Cheers

Stitch Jul 6th 2008 10:15 am

Thanks for those!

PaulandNic did the GC and they got PR through that. It's a two year full time course there as well. Worth giving Paul a PM>

Cheers

Ginny

stumpysean Jul 6th 2008 11:01 am

oh hw confusing!

I'm just going by the courses that are offered on the Brisbane school of hairdressing website. The only 2 year course is the one which includes the salon management module. The other option I presume is taking 2 seperate hairdressing courses to make up the 2 yrs?

I've just re-checked with the college website and there is no other course registered for 2 years?

There are other courses that are 1 yr and are fast trackable but a CRICOS reg course for 2 yrs is a combine 1 yr hairdressing and a 1 yr salon management! Strange!

How difficult will it be to get into Brisbane everyday? i'm considering doing the course on the goldcoast but as i've not been to either area am not sure which campus to enrol at?;)

aussiedreamer Jul 6th 2008 11:08 am

Hi There

My freind is at the Brisbane School started on 31st March last year and will be finished in two weeks, if you buckle down you can fast track through. She's come over on a student visa if you need some contact numbers pm me i'll check with her and let you have them. She'll have to work in the industry for 6 months that i think that'd part of the vise qualifications now.

Jane

stumpysean Jul 6th 2008 11:17 am

Originally Posted by aussiedreamer (Post 6539783)
Hi There

My freind is at the Brisbane School started on 31st March last year and will be finished in two weeks, if you buckle down you can fast track through. She's come over on a student visa if you need some contact numbers pm me i'll check with her and let you have them. She'll have to work in the industry for 6 months that i think that'd part of the vise qualifications now.

Jane

So if she's finished soon, she's only done 1yr? surely she can't apply for PR?

This gets so confusing!!!!!

I'll PM you!

tasmas Jul 6th 2008 11:21 am

I will be doing the first part at Gold Coast and then if they are not doing the management course there I will be moving nearer Brisbane or commuting for just 2 days a week (thats the arrangement I have with my contact there). That will be 2 full years. You can fast track but that means 5 days a week for a considerable amount of time. I'm probs gonna have to work aswell so I'd be knackered, so have cut it down to 5 days a week for 10 weeks. Then 4 days a week for rest of year, then 2 days a week for the management course. They can work out whatever suits you really.
I think its still counted as a 2 year course if you manage to finish it early, you have to knuckle down though, and I want to enjoy it, not slog myself to death.
Tracy:)

sherie_in_oz Jul 6th 2008 11:30 am

Thanks for those!

Lots of Gold coasters commute to Brissie everyday. 2 days a week wouldn't be that bad. It takes roughly an hour to an hour and a quarter depending on which part of the GC you live on but think about whether you want to live in a city or want the beach and lifestyle of the GC.
What kind of place would your family like to live city or coast?
There are lots of families on the GC and Brisse tends to attract singles and couples but you have to think what place will give you want you want.

Annie.R Jul 6th 2008 8:01 pm

I agree with Sherie, you need to think about what you want when you are here. Brisbane is a city, and although in UK terms a reasonably small one, and definitely a nice one, you are still in a city.

Commuting to Brissie from the Gold Coast isn't too bad if you are only doing it a couple of days a week, but is a real drag if you are doing it for longer. The train stations are at Robina, Nerang, Helensvale and Coomera - with Nerang and Helensvale the closest to Southport. Check out Google Maps to get an idea.

Driving will be expensive and parking extortionate in Brisbane!

Hope this helps

stumpysean Jul 6th 2008 8:09 pm

but what about not commuting, actually going to the Gold coast campus?

I'm presuming that by the time i get there in March/april time the salon management will be up and running and i wouldn't need to comute. I could complete the 2 yr course on the gold coast.

Where is better for a family, the Gold coast or Brisbane suburbs?

Hellllllllllllllllllpppppppppppppp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :confused::confused::confused: