Reload this Page >

School fees in WA

School fees in WA

Old Jan 16th 2011, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

ozziebound is an unknown quantity at this point
Default School fees in WA

Hi all

I have heard 457 visa holders in WA do not have to pay school fees in a public school is that correct (I hope) Thanks for the info!
Old Jan 16th 2011, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Broadbeach/Surfers Paradise depending which side of the house you stand
yellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to all
Default Re: School fees in WA

Originally Posted by ozziebound
Hi all

I have heard 457 visa holders in WA do not have to pay school fees in a public school is that correct (I hope) Thanks for the info!
hi,

yes you are right, you don't have to pay school fees, you get the usual fees like the contribution to the school which is normally around the $100 mark a year depending on the age of your child and the book list at the start of the school year. But no other ongoing costs unless your child takes part in other activities.
Good luck
Bec,
Old Jan 19th 2011, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

Thank you -puts my mind at rest!! Any recommendations for schools-we are thinking of Shenton College, Chruchlands for our 14 year old but also looking at Duncraig as seem to be able to get better housing there...our budget will be about 450 a week. We also have a 7 year old.

Many thanks!
Old Jan 19th 2011, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, catchment areas for these high schools:

Shenton College (most expensive for property and rentals, but you might get lucky) http://www.shenton.wa.edu.au/prospective/catchment

Churchlands Senior High School (cheaper than Shenton catchment) http://www.churchlands.wa.edu.au/adm...takearea.shtml

Duncraig Senior High School (cheaper than 2 above) http://www.duncraigshs.det.wa.edu.au/ - website seems to be down at the moment.

Primary schools reasonably good in these areas as well, with one or two exceptions.

Other state high schools to look at:
  • Mt Lawley
  • Carine (just south of Duncraig, some parts of Duncraig fall into the catchment)

If you want to live south of the river (SOR), look at Rossmoyne or Willetton SHS.

There are special programs at various high schools if your child has a particular gift/talent. There is usually, but not always, an exam or audition to get in. If successful, it means that you don't have to live in the catchment for that school.

You might want to ask a mod to move into the main part of the website.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 4:15 am
Forum Regular

JBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by HelenTD
Hi, catchment areas for these high schools:

Shenton College (most expensive for property and rentals, but you might get lucky) http://www.shenton.wa.edu.au/prospective/catchment

Churchlands Senior High School (cheaper than Shenton catchment) http://www.churchlands.wa.edu.au/adm...takearea.shtml

Duncraig Senior High School (cheaper than 2 above) http://www.duncraigshs.det.wa.edu.au/ - website seems to be down at the moment.

Primary schools reasonably good in these areas as well, with one or two exceptions.

Other state high schools to look at:
  • Mt Lawley
  • Carine (just south of Duncraig, some parts of Duncraig fall into the catchment)

If you want to live south of the river (SOR), look at Rossmoyne or Willetton SHS.

There are special programs at various high schools if your child has a particular gift/talent. There is usually, but not always, an exam or audition to get in. If successful, it means that you don't have to live in the catchment for that school.

You might want to ask a mod to move into the main part of the website.

I hear that Carine is a very good school, as is Marmion
Old Jan 20th 2011, 4:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Broadbeach/Surfers Paradise depending which side of the house you stand
yellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ozziebound
Thank you -puts my mind at rest!! Any recommendations for schools-we are thinking of Shenton College, Chruchlands for our 14 year old but also looking at Duncraig as seem to be able to get better housing there...our budget will be about 450 a week. We also have a 7 year old.

Many thanks!
Hi,

Sorry cant really give any recommendations on schools NOR we lived South. My son went to Baldivis Primary and we thought that was a really good bush school. They also have there own forest that they look after, replanting, cleaning it up, making bird boxes etc. Cant help with high schools as my son was only in Prep at the time and we moved to QLD over 18 months ago, so have no idea on house prices there now, But $450 a week sounds enough for a nice 3/4 bed house.

Good luck on the move
Old Jan 20th 2011, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you everyone-this is really helpful!