Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

School fee's in Queensland?

School fee's in Queensland?

Old Dec 7th 2004, 8:07 pm
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all
Default School fee's in Queensland?

Hi all. Can anybody give me a rough guide to school fee's to International Students for a 12 & 14 yr old in Queensland?

I'm looking into a Student Visa and need to find out the cost. I'm under the impression it's $4.500 per child, per year, but am not sure.

Any help will be appreciated

Jim
Old Dec 7th 2004, 11:23 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: School fee's in Queensland?

Originally Posted by Jim2004
Hi all. Can anybody give me a rough guide to school fee's to International Students for a 12 & 14 yr old in Queensland?

I'm looking into a Student Visa and need to find out the cost. I'm under the impression it's $4.500 per child, per year, but am not sure.

Jim
Start at http://www.qld.gov.au , find the Education Dept and work from there.

A student visa could prove to be a very expensive mistake if PR doesn't work out, as is presumably the intention.

Jeremy
Old Dec 7th 2004, 11:32 pm
ABCDiamond

Jim
I don't know the figures for Interrnational students, but the Government does say that it costs the Taxpayer about $10,000 per year for students in State Schools. I can't imagine it being less than that, in fact I would have thought it would be more like $4.5k per term. But as I said I don't actually know.

However, I am interested in finding out, so keep us posted when you get the figures.

It may also be different for different schools.

An example of one local Private school (not an overly expensive one) for Residents and Citizens:
Annual Fees paid by Parents $5,000
Annual Government contribution about $5,000
= Total received by school per child - $10,000
and that's for primary age children. Seniors are more expensive.

Old Dec 8th 2004, 1:03 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I don't know the figures for Interrnational students, but the Government does say that it costs the Taxpayer about $10,000 per year for students in State Schools. I can't imagine it being less than that, in fact I would have thought it would be more like $4.5k per term. But as I said I don't actually know.

However, I am interested in finding out, so keep us posted when you get the figures.

It may also be different for different schools.

An example of one local Private school (not an overly expensive one) for Residents and Citizens:
Annual Fees paid by Parents $5,000
Annual Government contribution about $5,000
= Total received by school per child - $10,000
and that's for primary age children. Seniors are more expensive.
FWIW, a full-time postgrad course costs $11k a semester at QUT.

(Something for your website perhaps ABC?) If you don't have PR you are classed as international re. education and HECS/PELS. Once you have PR you only have one year in which to take out PELS, after that you're on your own again.

I've been looking at MBA's recently. To do one assisted by PELS (postgraduate education loan scheme) I almost have to start in January 2007. My PR is due to be granted March 2006. Small window of opportunity which could be missed if you're not aware!
Old Dec 8th 2004, 3:30 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Costs for our two children (aged 6 - grade 2 and aged 4 - prep ) are as follows:

Enrolment fee: $55 (each)
Confirmation deposit: $350 ( first child) and $300 ( second child)
Tuition Fees: $3550 ( Prep ) and $3850 ( Grade 2 )
Capital Levy: $340 ( first child) and $304 ( second child )
Foundation Building Fund Levy: $480 ( per family )
Year level Charges: $152 ( Prep) and $152 ( Grade 2 )

Fee Concessions: 10% for second child.

So for our two nippers it will cost around $9152. Plus uniforms / books / materials etc etc. This is for a private church school in FNQ.

Just for the record, we didn't actually realise we would have to put our nippers in Private Ed, son has just spent 8 weeks at an unsatisfactory state school and so both he and his sister will start their new school in january. Such is life.

EDIT: Forgot to say:- the fees rise as the kids get older, so by senior secondary ( years 11 and 12 ) tuition fees per child are $5132 and year level charges go up to $328, plus 'Subject Levies' kick in at year 8 and go up to $296 by year 12.

Last edited by steandleigh; Dec 8th 2004 at 3:33 am.
Old Dec 8th 2004, 5:43 am
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

WOW! that's a lot of figures, thanks everyone.

Although I'm still unsure though what it's going to cost would $15,000 per child, per year be miles off ?

Yes Jeremy, I know it's a risky route, but it appears my only one! I'm looking into doing a Cert III in Automotive for the 2 yrs, but its the satisfying the TRA after I'm worried about. I'm still unsure if work exp is going to be needed? ..... can't give if it is, so gotta hope the 'training' will do.

Although the course says this:

Successful completion of this course will enable you to apply for trade recognition as an Automotive Mechanic.

&

Career prospects include being able to apply for trade recognition as a Light Vehicle Mechanic in Australia.

&

This course runs over two years (including industry placement).

So basically i'm hoping that will shut the TRA up, but something tells me your going to say it won't

All I do know is that the course is $15,000 for the 2 yrs which seems ok to me. I need to do a bit of research on the rest, plus check as much as I can about HOW risky it's going to be, then decide if we all take the plunge.

Hmmmm.
Old Dec 8th 2004, 6:08 am
ABCDiamond

WOW! that's a lot of figures, thanks everyone.

Although I'm still unsure though what it's going to cost would $15,000 per child, per year be miles off ?
I did some checking for you,

Here is a link to a PDF file on Overseas Student Fees at Sheldon
http://www.sheldoncollege.com.au/enr...4LT_ANNUAL.pdf

That page quotes about $13-14k for 2004, you could contact them for more info. http://www.sheldoncollege.com.au/Home.asp
Page for International Students - http://www.sheldoncollege.com.au/enrolment/index.asp

As an example of their normal fees, they currently charge $5k per year, compared to other private schools that vary from $2,500 per year to $25k per year.

Hope it helps

Old Dec 8th 2004, 10:52 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Yes Jeremy, I know it's a risky route, but it appears my only one! I'm looking into doing a Cert III in Automotive for the 2 yrs, but its the satisfying the TRA after I'm worried about. I'm still unsure if work exp is going to be needed? ..... can't give if it is, so gotta hope the 'training' will do.

Although the course says this:

Successful completion of this course will enable you to apply for trade recognition as an Automotive Mechanic.

&

Career prospects include being able to apply for trade recognition as a Light Vehicle Mechanic in Australia.

&

This course runs over two years (including industry placement) .
Remember also that TRA requirements can change over a 2-3 year period, especially as regards immigration assessments.

TRA is not your only hurdle either - there's also the points test. How many points would you have if you got this TRA assessment in two years? You would be unlikely to have points for work experience by then.

Also remember the pass mark can change in a 2 year period (in the last 2.5 years it's gone up twice).

If you don't meet the general skilled pass mark you'd have to look at other visas like SIR and RSMS, but this adds more complexity and no guarantee of success.

Another hurdle is the health requirement for PR - some people do fail here, although it's not overly common. Even if everyone in the family is healthy now, there is always the risk one family member will develop a health problem while in Australia (unusual - but it does happen).

Jeremy
Old Dec 8th 2004, 11:15 am

stevereed is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
Remember also that TRA requirements can change over a 2-3 year period, especially as regards immigration assessments.

TRA is not your only hurdle either - there's also the points test. How many points would you have if you got this TRA assessment in two years? You would be unlikely to have points for work experience by then.

Also remember the pass mark can change in a 2 year period (in the last 2.5 years it's gone up twice).

If you don't meet the general skilled pass mark you'd have to look at other visas like SIR and RSMS, but this adds more complexity and no guarantee of success.

Another hurdle is the health requirement for PR - some people do fail here, although it's not overly common. Even if everyone in the family is healthy now, there is always the risk one family member will develop a health problem while in Australia (unusual - but it does happen).

Jeremy
Hi Jeremy:

You obviously know my chosen study route via the Bachelor of Commerce degree with the major in accounting. At present, this seems safer than other options, based on the current NIA / CPAA assessment procedure. Also a father in a designated area reduces the risk a bit.

What I can't understand, no offence to Jim2004 is why people choose the TRA route knowing that it is difficult and that work experience of some sort will 'probably' be required (but no-one can tell you how much)

I appreciate the 60 point occupation bit, and a chance of many trades being on the MODL in 2-3 years, but it seems a HUGE risk to go down that line.

It's all risky but some risks are lower than others. I really think that nominating an occupation which is probably reliant on work experience that you may not even be able to get is a risk too far.

Your opinions would be most valuable.

BTW Jim2004, still considering the STNI route????
Old Dec 8th 2004, 12:03 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by stevereed
Hi Jeremy:

You obviously know my chosen study route via the Bachelor of Commerce degree with the major in accounting. At present, this seems safer than other options, based on the current NIA / CPAA assessment procedure. Also a father in a designated area reduces the risk a bit.
Yes, with a sponsor and a degree, it's usually possible to look at the Vetassess option as a fall-back. Degree and nominated occupation need to be relevant for graduates, but that should not be a problem with a business degree as there are a number of 50 point business occupations.

What I can't understand, no offence to Jim2004 is why people choose the TRA route knowing that it is difficult and that work experience of some sort will 'probably' be required (but no-one can tell you how much)

I appreciate the 60 point occupation bit, and a chance of many trades being on the MODL in 2-3 years, but it seems a HUGE risk to go down that line.

It's all risky but some risks are lower than others. I really think that nominating an occupation which is probably reliant on work experience that you may not even be able to get is a risk too far.

Your opinions would be most valuable.

BTW Jim2004, still considering the STNI route????
Industrial placement might give the necessary work exp, but it's not guaranteed, and one should also ask the question about who finds the placement? If it's up to the student, then it might be difficult or impossible, especially as a non-PR.

Risks can't be avoided but can be managed and as you say some risks are more than others.

All STNI options should be looked at first, even if it means going somewhere else in Australia.

Jeremy
Old Dec 8th 2004, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ
Yes, with a sponsor and a degree, it's usually possible to look at the Vetassess option as a fall-back. Degree and nominated occupation need to be relevant for graduates, but that should not be a problem with a business degree as there are a number of 50 point business occupations.

Industrial placement might give the necessary work exp, but it's not guaranteed, and one should also ask the question about who finds the placement? If it's up to the student, then it might be difficult or impossible, especially as a non-PR.

Risks can't be avoided but can be managed and as you say some risks are more than others.

All STNI options should be looked at first, even if it means going somewhere else in Australia.

Jeremy
Thanks for the clarification. I nearly went down the trades route. I am so please I didn't. accounting may not be that exciting (no offence Jeremy) but at least I have a clear direction, and a stab at a number of other occupations if 'accountant' fell out of favour (unlikely)
Old Dec 8th 2004, 3:34 pm
Account Closed

Thanks ABC for that, most helpful

As to points, well as far as I make it, I'll get:

Job on SOL - 60 (Mechanic)
Age (and just into this bracket so got loads of time) - 20
Language - 20
MODL (as we speak, AND just gone on there! and with job offer at end) - 20
MODL (without job) - 15
Study in Oz - 5
Capital Inv (if needed) - 5

So as we speak without a job offer I'll be looking at 120 with a possibility of gaining another 10 by the inv, or getting a job offer.

Not exactly miles over the pass mark, but a bit to play with maybe.

UNLESS IT GOES UP! ............ as you say.

STNI would be an option though if it went over my limit I guess ?!

As to health, yes another factor to take into consideration, but as we speak we are all fine.

I queried the bit with my agent, the bit about the dreaded work exp grey area with the TRA and altho brief, got this explanation:

If you study in Australia, you will not need extra work experience as
the course you want to do includes work placement experience.

At the end of the day, I've tried using my current trade (Bricklayer) to get in, but the TRA failed me so that's out the window. I see NO other option available to me other than to study. I have no qualifications, no friends or family out there, nothing really that they want, other than the want to study and live there, and a few quid tied up in the house to get me through the first few years, then I'm on me own! :scared:

Oh and one other thing I have, well my agent is pressing me to decide if I want to go for this as the course starts in January. There isn't a chance in hell this can be met so I think the following year, but I can see how the points situ goes + the MODL list over the nexy 12 months and ............ well just see I suppose.
Old Dec 8th 2004, 3:55 pm

Thanks ABC for that, most helpful

As to points, well as far as I make it, I'll get:

Job on SOL - 60 (Mechanic)
Age (and just into this bracket so got loads of time) - 20
Language - 20
MODL (as we speak, AND just gone on there! and with job offer at end) - 20
MODL (without job) - 15
Study in Oz - 5
Capital Inv (if needed) - 5

So as we speak without a job offer I'll be looking at 120 with a possibility of gaining another 10 by the inv, or getting a job offer.

Not exactly miles over the pass mark, but a bit to play with maybe.

UNLESS IT GOES UP! ............ as you say.

STNI would be an option though if it went over my limit I guess ?!

As to health, yes another factor to take into consideration, but as we speak we are all fine.

I queried the bit with my agent, the bit about the dreaded work exp grey area with the TRA and altho brief, got this explanation:

If you study in Australia, you will not need extra work experience as
the course you want to do includes work placement experience.

At the end of the day, I've tried using my current trade (Bricklayer) to get in, but the TRA failed me so that's out the window. I see NO other option available to me other than to study. I have no qualifications, no friends or family out there, nothing really that they want, other than the want to study and live there, and a few quid tied up in the house to get me through the first few years, then I'm on me own! :scared:

Oh and one other thing I have, well my agent is pressing me to decide if I want to go for this as the course starts in January. There isn't a chance in hell this can be met so I think the following year, but I can see how the points situ goes + the MODL list over the nexy 12 months and ............ well just see I suppose.
don't forget the 5 extra points for living and studying in a regional area for 5 years
Old Dec 8th 2004, 3:58 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by stevereed
don't forget the 5 extra points for living and studying in a regional area for 5 years
Hi Steve, yeah am aware of this, but unfortunately where the course is (Gold Coast) it isn't an option

Well, as far as I can gather anyway.