Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

School fees after visa

School fees after visa

Old Oct 12th 2004, 6:09 am
lincolngirl

lincolngirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default School fees after visa

Hi, I'm new to the forum and wanted to know if anyone could help me with some advice. I have a child already in school in Australia, for whom I'm paying a lot of money in fees (private high school), and who is being looked after by a guardian. I've just married my Australian husband and we're beginning the visa application process (spouse visa). We aren't in Australia at the moment.

My question is; will my child's fees drop when (if) I get my visa? At the moment of course I'm paying International Student rates, and wondered if the fees would drop to 'local' rates should the visa come through...

Thank you in advance,

Lincolngirl
Old Oct 12th 2004, 6:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Ushas will become famous soon enough
Default Re: School fees after visa

Originally Posted by lincolngirl
Hi, I'm new to the forum and wanted to know if anyone could help me with some advice. I have a child already in school in Australia, for whom I'm paying a lot of money in fees (private high school), and who is being looked after by a guardian. I've just married my Australian husband and we're beginning the visa application process (spouse visa). We aren't in Australia at the moment.

My question is; will my child's fees drop when (if) I get my visa? At the moment of course I'm paying International Student rates, and wondered if the fees would drop to 'local' rates should the visa come through...

Thank you in advance,

Lincolngirl
Surely the best way to get this info would be to contact the school? Or get her guardian to ask for you?
Old Oct 12th 2004, 6:39 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Thank you in advance,

Lincolngirl
I agree with Ushas, you need to contact the school for definite.
All I can tell you, is that my partners mother does homestay. The three Asian students she has with her pay more for their schooling than the Australians do. Just out of interest; if your child is Australian and has an Australian guardian, then why aren't you paying Australian rates already??
Old Oct 12th 2004, 7:19 am
Just Joined

toos is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you in advance,

Lincolngirl
We have 4 kids, 2 are in the Australian Public System and 2 are in the Private. This is because a ruling came out in July 2000 saying all non permanent residents (in NSW, not too sure about other states) had to pay $4500 per child, per year in advance for them to attend Public school :scared: . We are currently on a Temp 457 visa. The rule didn't apply to our older two as they had been in school here since 1998. We decided to put the younger two into Private school as it turned out to be cheaper.

My understanding is once you are a Permanent Resident then you do not pay International Fees , just the normal tution fees but it's best to check with the school.
Old Oct 12th 2004, 7:25 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I have a child already in school in Australia, for whom I'm paying a lot of money in fees (private high school), and who is being looked after by a guardian. I've just married my Australian husband and we're beginning the visa application process (spouse visa). We aren't in Australia at the moment.

Thank you in advance,

Lincolngirl

I'm pretty sure they will drop. The school we're sending our kids to has 2 schedules of fees, one for citizens/PRs and one for everyone else, which has higher fees.
Old Oct 12th 2004, 11:37 pm
lincolngirl

lincolngirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you everyone for your responses.

I can not ask the school directly, as the whole basis upon which my child gained a place in the school was as an International Student, for whom I therefore had to pay the corresponding fees. I don't want the school getting 'jittery' over fees when there may be no basis for a change in the rate anyway.

My child is not Australian or an Australian resident (yet), but is on a student visa.

When (if) a spouse visa comes through, that means I and my child will be temporary residents for two years, so it would appear that at least for that time I'll need to continue paying the higher fees, unless the fact that my Australian husband is now my child's stepfather changes the situation.
Old Oct 13th 2004, 12:39 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

When (if) a spouse visa comes through, that means I and my child will be temporary residents for two years, so it would appear that at least for that time I'll need to continue paying the higher fees, unless the fact that my Australian husband is now my child's stepfather changes the situation.
I think (but am not sure) that those on temporary spouse visas may be exempted the fees - check on the NSW Education Dept website.

Jeremy