School Fees

Old Jul 14th 2008, 11:02 am
Just Joined

riechase is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: School Fees

Originally Posted by christina225
Hi again reichase, thank you for sharing your knowledge and giving your advice.
As for where I am heading in Perth, well I have family in Iluka and Ocean Reef so will be hoping to go somewhere around there.

Thanks again
Christina
Hi Christina

Iluka and Ocean reef are still fairly new/growig areas.

Ocean Reef Senior High has a pretty reasonable socio economic (I'm referring to the schools not area).

You'd be very near to StStephens in Currambine (low fee paying worth a look).

It's hard for me to say if Ocean Reef Senior High would be any good for your kids as so much depends on what you think of their current school and where you want them to end up. If you're kids are aiming for 5 GCSE's A-C and 3 A levels. I'd look at the non-gov schools. If your kids are very smart I'd go to Victoira and do IB. If you're kids are happy just bouncing along with the crowd Ocean Reef will be OK. I don't want to be negative about the school as it offers a perfectly good education. There is alot more to life than academic success and you need to balance it all realistically.

Private schools may mean your kids need to travel to school, or the fees will have a major effect on quality of life in other areas for your family.

My very personal view for my kids would be to go non-gov in WA. Obvioulsy as a teacher I see education as being critical, and WA's education is not the highest quality (I am generalising here, there are many good examples).

Am I helping?
Old Jul 14th 2008, 11:10 am
Just Joined

riechase is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=shellynelly;6568762]
Originally Posted by riechase
I am a teacher from the UK

hello we are moving to perth around mandurah but we are flexible on that, i am worried about my daughters and finding the right schools for them, the eldest is 15 and supposed to be starting year 11 in sept, youngest is 11 in sept and would be going into year 6 in uk.
we are not rolling in money but if private schooling is the best option then thats what we will do, any help would be much appreciated,
thanks very much
michelle
Hi Michelle

Manduarh like a lot of parts of WA is growing and changing. For Mandurah I'd look at non-gov schools. As I keep saying in other posts what do you think of the education you have now, and where do you want the kids to end up.

Your 15 year old is at a difficult transition, half way through GCSE's and the start of TEE for Aus. The best thing there will depend alot of plans after school. How they cope with change and how they value thier education.

Cheers
Old Jul 14th 2008, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

whinging_pom is a jewel in the roughwhinging_pom is a jewel in the roughwhinging_pom is a jewel in the roughwhinging_pom is a jewel in the roughwhinging_pom is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by riechase
Non gov schools receive MASSIVE amounts of government funding, sounds odd I know, that is why technically they are not private or independent.
Eh, no not really. This is massive misinformation put out by lefties ideolgically prejudiced against private education. If you add local and federal govt money together they receive less per child and the parents still pay the same taxes. The truth is they receive more _federal_ money per capita than state schools but next to no _state_ money. They spend more per capita overall only because the parents top this up with fees. So the net effect is the same as if the parents paid more taxes directed to education both for their own kids (fees) and towards other children (since the government directs less of their hard earned taxes to their own children in favour of those at state schools).
Old Jul 14th 2008, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Because unlike certain countries I could mention, Australian society isn't built on a "hand-outs" culture, under which people are encouraged to rely on the government for everything, and spend most of their time blagging vast sums of taxpayers' money for no good reason.

Hahahahahaha!

Just caught this!!

This is a wind-up right?