School Fees

Old Jul 6th 2008, 7:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: School Fees

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Because unlike certain countries I could mention, Australian society isn't built on a "hand-outs" culture, under which people are encouraged to rely on the government for everything, and spend most of their time blagging vast sums of taxpayers' money for no good reason.
Somebody get out of bed on the wrong side?
Old Jul 6th 2008, 9:11 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
Personally I would rather pay an extra 1% tax so that a decent education.
And there lies the key issue - your good self and most of people on here would agree with that sentiment (extra tax if it provides specific educational benefit) - its just the few who have shall we say different priorities in life, and are less concerned about their children's future than having cheaper booze and cigs or money for the slot machines.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 12:12 pm
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

We are moving to Oz for a better future for our kids.
Does this mean that the fact that we wont be able to put all 3 of them thru private schooling then they dont have much of a future at all
If state schooling is so bad does this mean that the chances of them getting a decent job when they finish school is highly unlikely if they have been to a state school.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 12:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tawkins1
Does this mean that the fact that we wont be able to put all 3 of them thru private schooling then they dont have much of a future at all
If state schooling is so bad does this mean that the chances of them getting a decent job when they finish school is highly unlikely if they have been to a state school.
State schooling isn't so bad. I have one in pivate and one in state. The eldest is only in private because he has always struggled at school, academically not socially. When we came here we bought him a bit of time by putting him down a year (grade 5 instead of grade 6) which really helped. Then we moved him into a boys grammar school where his progress has been phenomenal. Fees $6000 a year.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 7:42 pm
Just Joined

riechase is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tawkins1
I am a teacher from the UK and have taught in both Gov and non-gov schools in Aus. In all cities there are some good state schools and some of the best schools are the selective state schools. But you will need to look seriously at the non-gov schools. Obvioulsy your choice will have a lot to do with your own expectations re your childrens education, but if you have hopes for University etc than you will want to look carefully at the non-gov schools. Aus also has the Catholic sector and some of these schools offer a good education with much lower fees if you can cope with the catholic bit. But you will find most of the non-gov schools follow some denomination i.e anglican and are usually single sex. Where are you going? I can tell you lots about schools in Vic and WA.

Last edited by riechase; Jul 6th 2008 at 7:48 pm.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

christina225 is just really nicechristina225 is just really nicechristina225 is just really nicechristina225 is just really nicechristina225 is just really nicechristina225 is just really nicechristina225 is just really nicechristina225 is just really nicechristina225 is just really nicechristina225 is just really nicechristina225 is just really nice

Originally Posted by riechase
I am a teacher from the UK and have taught in both Gov and non-gov schools in Aus. In all cities there are some good state schools and some of the best schools are the selective state schools. But you will need to look seriously at the non-gov schools. Obvioulsy your choice will have a lot to do with your own expectations re your childrens education, but if you have hopes for University etc than you will want to look carefully at the non-gov schools. Aus also has the Catholic sector and some of these schools offer a good education with much lower fees if you can cope with the catholic bit. But you will find most of the non-gov schools follow some denomination i.e anglican and are usually single sex. Where are you going? I can tell you lots about schools in Vic and WA.
Hi riechase, I for one would be very appreciative on any information you can give on schools in WA, I'm hoping to go to Perth.
This school thing is worrying the hell out of me, I have two children secondary school age.

Christina
Old Jul 7th 2008, 9:22 am
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks!
We are going to WA.... Looking at Ellenbrook although its not final yet. We also liked the look of Southern River but wont really know till we get there. Any info on schools would be great. Thank You
Old Jul 7th 2008, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

The school thing is a really emotive issue and I've seen in other threads people getting really annoyed about it. One country does not offer a better education than the other, once you are in Aus you have to work with what there is so no point harping on about UK education. Do your research, what you want will depend a lot on how good the schoosl are that your kids currently attend an waht your expectation are for your chidlren in the future and decsions must be made with this in mind.

NON GOV SCHOOLS
The non-gov schools get a MASSIVE amount of gov funding, sounds odd but thats how it is, thats also why technically they are not independent or private. Gov funding plus fees in non-gov schools means non-gov schools have access to alot more money. Obvioulsy this does impact on quality of education. However in WA the minimum satndards (monitired by Department of education are services) are very minimum so don't assume paying fees automatically equates to a good deal. 2 non-gov schools were closed in the last 18 months. If you look at the rankings of Tertiary Entrance Exam (TEE) scores the high fee paying schools will be at the top. TEE ranks entry for Uni etc. By choosing the non-gov sector you also choose a particular peer group for your children, which is very improtant in influencing and motivating your children. You also get access to many more extra curricular actvities, after school care, sports facilites etc, in soem schools these facilites are awesome. Some parents belive the peer group and connections your child will make are essential and giev your child a head start in life. On the downside if you get your child into a very academic school and they aren't, help can be thin on the ground. http://www.ais.wa.edu.au/ info on non-gov schools

GOV SCHOOLS
Good and bad depends alot on where you live and socio economic. Schools like Shenton College, Churchlands and carine are some of the best. However many families who live in these areas will still send their kids to non-gov schools so the top students are still lost from the gov schools. Some schools offer scholarships and acdemic excellence programs depends what your childrens strengths are. http://www2.eddept.wa.edu.au/schoolprofile/home.do gives info on gov schools

Ellenbrook has a lower socio economic, but it is a growing and changing area. The school is very new (2007) and offers soem great new programs, strategies etc, lookign good

Christina where abouts in Perth where you thinking of going?

My advice is to speak to the principal of the schools in your area before you go. Think about what you want for your kids and see what the principal thinks they offer. There is alot more choice in Aus as non-gov can be affordable. But with choice you need to the reserach.

Cheers

Rie
Old Jul 7th 2008, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

Teaching in WA has had its problems in recent years, same as in many places. Teacher shortages etc. Too many curriculum changes too fast.

What you think of the schools will depend alot on what you think of the current schools your kids are at and your expectations for your children.

Non-Gov Schools
About 33% of children in Aus attend non-gov schools, up tp 40% in VIC. Non gov schools receive MASSIVE amounts of government funding, sounds odd I know, that is why technically they are not private or independent. If gov funding has favoured non-gov schools think about what this has done to gov schools. Gov regulation of schools is VERY minimal, so you need to check them out. Gov funding and fees does mean they have more funding than gov schools and this can mean better quality. The top Tertiary Entrance Scores (TEE), needed for Uni etc, are usually achieved by students at the high fee paying non-gov schools i.e. Christchurch, Hale, Scotch, MLC, PLC etc. If the school is very academic and your child isn't support tends to be thin on the ground. Non-gov schools are nearly all faith schools and single sex. Non-gov schosl usualy offer better pay and conditions. Parents also think by paying private schools fees they are ensuring their children have a better peer group, which also means connections later in life. The non-gov schools tend to provide excellent extra curricular opportunities too, sporting opportunities and are better resourced. There are some excellent low fee paying schools, St Marks at Hillarys, St Stephens at Currambine. Info on non-gov schools http://www.ais.wa.edu.au/

Gov Schools
These tend to vary depending on where you live and the socio economic. Shenton College, Churchlands and Carine all very good. Although parents who live near will still choose to send their kids to non-gov so often the very top students are skimmed off. Gov schools do provide a secular education. Some schools offer scholarships and gifted programs so depends where your childs talents are if this is relevant. Info on gov schools http://www2.eddept.wa.edu.au/schoolprofile/home.do

Ellenbrook is a very new school. Generally low socio economic, but growing and changing area. Offers some new programs and strategies making a very good start.

Christina where are you thinking of going to in Perth?

My advice is contact the principals of the schools in your chosen area and have a chat. You need to do as much research as you can to help make your deicisions and a lot depends on your children and what will be right for them, but the local gov school is not always the best. You will need to look at non-gov. Paying for education (and health care) are perhaps two of the costs people don't think about when emigrating.

Cheers
Old Jul 8th 2008, 2:31 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

We're in the process of checking out local high schools and have been impressed with what we've found. So far we've shortlisted:

1. catholic girls school $4.5k pa - wonderful pastoral environment (full time counsellor, not allowed mobile phones during the day, no laptops as mugging may have been an issue), high academic results and she's fine with the two areas we may have worried about ie. single sex and catholic (which we're not)
which are secondary to the great values we've observed - we're at a very low place in the pecking order so have had to choose other options in case we're unlucky.

2. Two private schools - one single sex the other co-ed (fees are ridiculous ranging from $8000 -$17000 pa and we can't afford to go to either unless she manages to get a scholarship which reduces the fees by half). The first is highly religious and pretty dogmatic (if I undestand the meaning of the word correctly) and requires $3000 for a laptop (including insurance and software updates) and significant extras for camps, etc. It has a great academic reputation, an ugly uniform and the kids all walk round the campus smiling.

The other has an even better academic record, beautiful facilities (including a small farm and huge indoor pool) includes camp fees, etc in its fees and has a smaller boys school attached locally.

Academically this is one of the few schools in our area that have the International Baccalaureate which is fabulous if parents think their child may return to a UK higher education.

3. We've put her name down for two local public (government) schools - both of which have extension programmes for brighter children so they have whole classes working at a more challenging level - my daughter isn't a genius but she is bright and enjoys working to her abilities. They're obviously inexpensive - just paying for uniforms, camps, books, etc. and both have enthusiastic staff and good academic and sporting records.

It seems that financing has mainly affected the pastoral side of things and the campuses. Both are undergoing a huge building programme making it difficult to imagine the finished result. Both have tired halls (sports and theatre combined) and both felt physically cold. An observation only but given the location of these schools there was a large ethnic mix - additionally both take international students to increase their funding.

We're going to have another look when the building programmes are finished.

A few things to look for when researching might be the sports programme, academic success, languages taught - through the schools we've researched she could be studying Italian, French, German, Indonesian, Chinese or others, music programmes, religious education and whether they show you a disection of a rat on your tour (seen at one of the government schools and only slightly off-putting to my 10 year old - more so to her mother). Oh and all the schools we saw had similar levels of technical facilities eg. computer facilities for graphic design, art departments with digital photography and all appeared to offer extra-curricular options such as debating and music.

Hope this gives you an idea of the three sectors - in our area we had about 15 schools within 20 minutes of home which all appeared to have excellent reputations depending on who you spoke to or which book you researched
Old Jul 8th 2008, 10:01 am
Just Joined

whinging_pom is a jewel in the roughwhinging_pom is a jewel in the roughwhinging_pom is a jewel in the roughwhinging_pom is a jewel in the roughwhinging_pom is a jewel in the rough

Ellenbrook is a very new school. Generally low socio economic, but growing and changing area. Offers some new programs and strategies making a very good start.
I believe this refers to the high school. there are a number of primaries in the town. In addition there are anglican and christian private schools currently and a catholic high school under construction.

Ellenbrook/Aveley is very mixed socially. It is fairly middle of the road in socio-economic terms rather than low, though it may have been lower in the past. I.e. it isn't a Balga or Armadale but it isn't Duncraig either.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

dejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by smurtaza
Hi,

Back in UK children below 16 years can attend public schools free of cost/fees.

Why schools in Australia charge fees?This is the fact I noticed after immigration that schools are very expensive and they charge fees...

Please cooment

Thanks
What fees are you referring to? We don't pay any school fees - son is in a State School and besides uniform and some stationary we don't pay a penny?

I am a bit confused by the OP?
Old Jul 8th 2008, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

christina225 is just really nicechristina225 is just really nicechristina225 is just really nicechristina225 is just really nicechristina225 is just really nicechristina225 is just really nicechristina225 is just really nicechristina225 is just really nicechristina225 is just really nicechristina225 is just really nicechristina225 is just really nice

Teaching in WA has had its problems in recent years, same as in many places. Teacher shortages etc. Too many curriculum changes too fast.

What you think of the schools will depend alot on what you think of the current schools your kids are at and your expectations for your children.

Non-Gov Schools
About 33% of children in Aus attend non-gov schools, up tp 40% in VIC. Non gov schools receive MASSIVE amounts of government funding, sounds odd I know, that is why technically they are not private or independent. If gov funding has favoured non-gov schools think about what this has done to gov schools. Gov regulation of schools is VERY minimal, so you need to check them out. Gov funding and fees does mean they have more funding than gov schools and this can mean better quality. The top Tertiary Entrance Scores (TEE), needed for Uni etc, are usually achieved by students at the high fee paying non-gov schools i.e. Christchurch, Hale, Scotch, MLC, PLC etc. If the school is very academic and your child isn't support tends to be thin on the ground. Non-gov schools are nearly all faith schools and single sex. Non-gov schosl usualy offer better pay and conditions. Parents also think by paying private schools fees they are ensuring their children have a better peer group, which also means connections later in life. The non-gov schools tend to provide excellent extra curricular opportunities too, sporting opportunities and are better resourced. There are some excellent low fee paying schools, St Marks at Hillarys, St Stephens at Currambine. Info on non-gov schools http://www.ais.wa.edu.au/

Gov Schools
These tend to vary depending on where you live and the socio economic. Shenton College, Churchlands and Carine all very good. Although parents who live near will still choose to send their kids to non-gov so often the very top students are skimmed off. Gov schools do provide a secular education. Some schools offer scholarships and gifted programs so depends where your childs talents are if this is relevant. Info on gov schools http://www2.eddept.wa.edu.au/schoolprofile/home.do

Christina where are you thinking of going to in Perth?

My advice is contact the principals of the schools in your chosen area and have a chat. You need to do as much research as you can to help make your deicisions and a lot depends on your children and what will be right for them, but the local gov school is not always the best. You will need to look at non-gov. Paying for education (and health care) are perhaps two of the costs people don't think about when emigrating.

Cheers
Hi again reichase, thank you for sharing your knowledge and giving your advice.
As for where I am heading in Perth, well I have family in Iluka and Ocean Reef so will be hoping to go somewhere around there.

Thanks again
Christina
Old Jul 14th 2008, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

shellynelly will become famous soon enoughshellynelly will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=riechase;6541129]I am a teacher from the UK

hello we are moving to perth around mandurah but we are flexible on that, i am worried about my daughters and finding the right schools for them, the eldest is 15 and supposed to be starting year 11 in sept, youngest is 11 in sept and would be going into year 6 in uk.
we are not rolling in money but if private schooling is the best option then thats what we will do, any help would be much appreciated,
thanks very much
michelle
Old Jul 14th 2008, 9:54 am
Living the dream

[QUOTE=shellynelly;6568762]
I am a teacher from the UK

hello we are moving to perth around mandurah but we are flexible on that, i am worried about my daughters and finding the right schools for them, the eldest is 15 and supposed to be starting year 11 in sept, youngest is 11 in sept and would be going into year 6 in uk.
we are not rolling in money but if private schooling is the best option then thats what we will do, any help would be much appreciated,
thanks very much
michelle
From what I have read on here you can get Good 'state schools'. If your going to struggle to pay the fee's just look for a 'state school' that has been recommended on here, visit them when you arrive then look for property if your flexible on where you live.
We are hoping not to have to pay for private education especially primary anyway. We seem to have found a good state primary & high school NOR Do a few searches on here there are good & bad in both state & private. Goodluck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.