British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   School Fees on 457 in Brisbane? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/school-fees-457-brisbane-531675/)

Tellyaddict Apr 23rd 2008 8:20 pm

School Fees on 457 in Brisbane?

My husband may have finally found a sponser in Brisbane on a temporary visa. I have heard that your children are classed as international students and that you have to pay about $5,000 per year per child.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me please. My two boys are at primary school - don't know if this makes a difference.

Thanks

Nikky

Babycatcher Apr 23rd 2008 8:41 pm

Re: School Fees on 457 in Brisbane?

Originally Posted by NiknAid (Post 6255657)
My husband may have finally found a sponser in Brisbane on a temporary visa. I have heard that your children are classed as international students and that you have to pay about $5,000 per year per child.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me please. My two boys are at primary school - don't know if this makes a difference.

Thanks

Nikky

I read that this is correct on the Australian Government website - can't remember where. But I found it when I googled Australian immigration and then when through the visa options. Someone may have a better place to look though....

zimkeith Apr 23rd 2008 9:06 pm

I'm sure I read on BE somewhere that this isn't true for QLD but am not 100% sure. I too am interested in the answer to this as we are in the same situation.

>Trigger< Apr 23rd 2008 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by NiknAid (Post 6255657)

Thanks

Nikky

Not true...

applies in NSW tho'

Sandra Apr 23rd 2008 11:19 pm

457 visas do not have a charge for the visa holders children in Queensland

Other visas may have a charge for the visa holders children's schooling like the student visa.

quoll Apr 24th 2008 12:27 am

The policy document for Queensland actually specified a free mainstream schooling but I cant find what happens if you happen to have a child with special needs. That may be free too but it doesnt seem to specify that anywhere.

NSW charges! As does ACT and someone also mentioned that Tas also charges for 457 holders.

Nerine Apr 24th 2008 1:23 am

You do not have to pay fees to have your kids educated at a state school in QLD if you and they are on a 457 visa.

Other states may be different but that's the situation in Queensland

JAJ Apr 24th 2008 2:07 am

Originally Posted by quoll (Post 6256648)
The policy document for Queensland actually specified a free mainstream schooling but I cant find what happens if you happen to have a child with special needs. That may be free too but it doesnt seem to specify that anywhere.

Having a child with special needs could mean that whole family is ineligible for permanent residence - be careful.

sprug Apr 24th 2008 4:40 am

Hi
We live in Brisbane and we do not have to pay school fees on a 457 visa but we do have to pay kindy fees which are about 1800$ per year.
Hope this helps
Shelley

quoll Apr 24th 2008 4:54 am

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 6256945)
Having a child with special needs could mean that whole family is ineligible for permanent residence - be careful.

That is an excellent point! I have encountered people who have arrived on temporary visas only to have their PR refused because of a child's medical condition. It seems that they are less stringent about medical issues for temporary sponsored visas. Let us hope that this is irrelevent to the OP and that we are just talking mainstream education.

jayr Apr 24th 2008 5:30 am

Originally Posted by quoll (Post 6257330)
That is an excellent point! I have encountered people who have arrived on temporary visas only to have their PR refused because of a child's medical condition. It seems that they are less stringent about medical issues for temporary sponsored visas. Let us hope that this is irrelevent to the OP and that we are just talking mainstream education.

I know someone in a simialr position. Got in on 457 but some years later failed to get PR due to child's medical condition. Returned to the UK in the end.

Tellyaddict Apr 24th 2008 5:44 am

Originally Posted by jayr (Post 6257418)
I know someone in a simialr position. Got in on 457 but some years later failed to get PR due to child's medical condition. Returned to the UK in the end.

Thank you all for replying and solving my query.

Good luck to all of you whether you are in the traffic jam of paperwork or whether you are already there.