School Fees

Old Dec 28th 2006, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

paulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nice
Default School Fees

Hello all, hope you have all had a merry christmas, especially those of you who have just had their first christmas away from home, hope you weren't too homesick!!! We are travelling on a student visa which we have now got, although the house sale looks as though it may fall through :scared: but we are keeping our fingers crossed. I know we have to pay for our childrens school fees at the state school, but does anyone know if you have to pay as much if the children went to a private school? From what I remember it averaged $7000 per child for state and the private is $2000 per child, do we pay any extras at the private schools because we are on a student visa, do we still pay the state a sum of money for the education? Would appreciate if anyone has any knowledge of this, tried to search for the topic but didnt get any results! Thanks in advance Paula
Old Dec 28th 2006, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: School Fees

Don't quote me on this, but I think I have seen elsewhere that you would have to pay the standard private fees plus a top-up which is equivalent to the state fees. So the state school would still be cheaper for you.
I'm sure someone will correct me if I've got this wrong!
Old Dec 28th 2006, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

paulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nice

Originally Posted by esperanza
Don't quote me on this, but I think I have seen elsewhere that you would have to pay the standard private fees plus a top-up which is equivalent to the state fees. So the state school would still be cheaper for you.
I'm sure someone will correct me if I've got this wrong!
Thanks, I'm sure I read this somewhere too but cannot remember where!!! Would just like to know for sure.
Old Dec 28th 2006, 11:03 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulainspain
Hello all, hope you have all had a merry christmas, especially those of you who have just had their first christmas away from home, hope you weren't too homesick!!! We are travelling on a student visa which we have now got, although the house sale looks as though it may fall through :scared: but we are keeping our fingers crossed. I know we have to pay for our childrens school fees at the state school, but does anyone know if you have to pay as much if the children went to a private school? From what I remember it averaged $7000 per child for state and the private is $2000 per child, do we pay any extras at the private schools because we are on a student visa, do we still pay the state a sum of money for the education? Would appreciate if anyone has any knowledge of this, tried to search for the topic but didnt get any results! Thanks in advance Paula
Which state will you be in?
Old Dec 29th 2006, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

Brisbane, Queensland
Old Dec 29th 2006, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

MarkandJulie will become famous soon enoughMarkandJulie will become famous soon enough

Private schools have domestic fees and international fees. The international fees will be roughly equal to domestic fees plus the state education fees ie $7000 plus $2000 in your example above. This is for Qld - not sure if other states similar
Old Dec 29th 2006, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

Could you explain why this is?
Old Dec 29th 2006, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

MarkandJulie will become famous soon enoughMarkandJulie will become famous soon enough

sorry, can't explain but we found that 2.5 years ago when we first arrived on our student visa and went to enrol the kids in school that the schools generally didn't have much understanding of our situation. We found it best to contact Education Queensland direct. PR will be coming through soon, so that will be an end to the school fees for us
Old Dec 29th 2006, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

Good for you, the boys have enrolment for Ormiston College for 2008, we really like the sound of it, especially the sports side, our youngest is only interested in sports!! I am meant to start a hairdressing course 28th Feb but the house sale is really dragging, not too sure if we will get there! I have asked the evisa site if I can delay the start of the visa but have not heard back! How have you found studying over there and what course are you doing? Also how's Brisbane? We originally thought we would go to Perth but werent too keen after a Reccie last Feb.
Old Dec 29th 2006, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if it is to do with indie schools being partially subsidised by state schools? (But only for PR kids)
Or perhaps there are so many immigrant school children paying for their tuition that the govt legislated on it! (Cynical I know, but still)

I'm a teacher - I'll teach your kids online for a mere $5000 each, how's that?!
Old Dec 29th 2006, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

We wondered the same but thought it was just us who were the cynics, all governments jump on any band wagon rolling by if they can get something from it!!! Great offer for the online teaching, I'm sure my boys will love it, not too sure if I want them home though!!! They've only been off school one week and already we have had WW3..
Old Dec 29th 2006, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Oh dear.... I think years of teaching have put me off children! When I finally cave in (as the biological ticking gets louder) then I pity my kids - they will be getting detentions left right and centre! And if they can't read by the age of three then there will be trouble...

On a more serious note, I have talked to my kids ('my' kids! My pupils) about teaching them via webcam - they loved the idea. Other teachers even said it would be good to make contact like that, if only to demonstrate that life does exist outside their small Devon town. In the outback there are webcam teachers who work with children on isolated farms etc in the middle of nowhere. Maybe I should set up my own company, could offer GCSEs & IB to expat chiddlers!
Old Dec 29th 2006, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

Setting up your own company is a great idea, so many adults study online and have been for years, didnt think about the younger ones being taught online, the parents and children would have to be disciplined to make sure they were actually doing their work though!!
Old Dec 29th 2006, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

Good for you, the boys have enrolment for Ormiston College for 2008, we really like the sound of it, especially the sports side, our youngest is only interested in sports!! I am meant to start a hairdressing course 28th Feb but the house sale is really dragging, not too sure if we will get there! I have asked the evisa site if I can delay the start of the visa but have not heard back! How have you found studying over there and what course are you doing? Also how's Brisbane? We originally thought we would go to Perth but werent too keen after a Reccie last Feb.
Last month I completed my BSc in Quantity Surveying. For us, the student visa was a route to PR and therefore the studying was 'a hoop we had to jump through' to get PR. The study was generally pretty laid back and the workload was manageable. If you were full time student (ie not working - my final year had a work experience requirement so the workload increased) it would be a doddle.

We enjoy Brisbane very much. Been on holiday here a few times previously so we kind of knew what we were coming to and have no regrets with our choice of location. Kids love it
Old Dec 29th 2006, 2:24 pm
Just Joined

Goodi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MarkandJulie
Last month I completed my BSc in Quantity Surveying. For us, the student visa was a route to PR and therefore the studying was 'a hoop we had to jump through' to get PR. The study was generally pretty laid back and the workload was manageable. If you were full time student (ie not working - my final year had a work experience requirement so the workload increased) it would be a doddle.

We enjoy Brisbane very much. Been on holiday here a few times previously so we kind of knew what we were coming to and have no regrets with our choice of location. Kids love it
Congratulations on completing your BSC. I have sent you a private message.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.