school fees

Old Sep 1st 2005, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

leby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default school fees

Does any-one know, if you have have to pay for school, in Australia. We have been granted a business visa and are flighting out in March. But I have read somewere that we might have to pay school fees ? (True or False)

We are heading for Perth, does any-one know of any good schools? Primary and Secondary.

Cheers Lisa
Old Sep 1st 2005, 9:18 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: school fees

Originally Posted by leby
Does any-one know, if you have have to pay for school, in Australia. We have been granted a business visa and are flighting out in March. But I have read somewere that we might have to pay school fees ? (True or False)

We are heading for Perth, does any-one know of any good schools? Primary and Secondary.

Cheers Lisa
sorry i dont, just wanted to hi and welcome to BE....
brother pays for his lads schooling in NSW, but its a church school/semi private.
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 12:00 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

Cheers Lisa
AS FAR AS I AM AWARE THERE IS FREE SCHOOLING (STATE) ASWELLL AS PRIVATE (FULL PAY, I THINK AROUND £4,000 PER YEAR) AND AFILIATED (1/2 PAY)

I'M SURE I WILL BE CORRECTED IF I AM WRONG
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Lisa
State schools are not completely free. Like England you have to pay for excursions and uniform but there are other costs to take into account. The school like you to help pay towards the running cost i.e maintenance levy. You also need to pay for text books, pencils etc.
Here are the fee's that we encountered this year for primary school:
After school care:- $9 a day per child
year 3 camp:- $172.00
furniture/ equip/ maint:- $20.00
Admin:- $25.00
Inter school sport:- $8.00
Swimming for 1 term:- $85.00
Booklist:- $70.00
Curriculum contribution:- $70.00
General Excursions:- $55.00
Religious education:- $5.00
Grounds maintenance:- $30.00
centenary building fund:- $25.00
+ a few others for charitable events.

Hope this helps
Woody
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 12:53 am
ABCDiamond

On a temporary visa it depends on which State you go to, as to whether you pay for State Schooling or not.

It would be good to see a concise update of the facts on this.

Old Sep 2nd 2005, 12:58 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Private schools in Vic will set you back about $11,000 a year+ unless you go to a church school where it is around the $4,000 mark. All of these will have addition costs for camps, excursions etc.
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 1:19 am
ABCDiamond

As you are going to Perth, have a look at: School Fees in WA

Old Sep 2nd 2005, 2:24 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by woodyinoz
State schools are not completely free. Like England you have to pay for excursions and uniform but there are other costs to take into account. The school like you to help pay towards the running cost i.e maintenance levy. You also need to pay for text books, pencils etc.
Here are the fee's that we encountered this year for primary school:
After school care:- $9 a day per child
year 3 camp:- $172.00
furniture/ equip/ maint:- $20.00
Admin:- $25.00
Inter school sport:- $8.00
Swimming for 1 term:- $85.00
Booklist:- $70.00
Curriculum contribution:- $70.00
General Excursions:- $55.00
Religious education:- $5.00
Grounds maintenance:- $30.00
centenary building fund:- $25.00
+ a few others for charitable events.

Hope this helps
Woody
Hi Woody,

I was actually quite amazed at how they're starting to ask for *donations* for an increasing number of things in England. We seemed to be sending money in every week for something or other towards the end of dd's last year.

Looking at your list above, some seem reasonable expenses/contributions, but I wonder what the $5 for RE covers, and how they work out the $70 for a curriculum contribution? I have this mystery to come!

Sue
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 5:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
Hi Woody,

I was actually quite amazed at how they're starting to ask for *donations* for an increasing number of things in England. We seemed to be sending money in every week for something or other towards the end of dd's last year.

Looking at your list above, some seem reasonable expenses/contributions, but I wonder what the $5 for RE covers, and how they work out the $70 for a curriculum contribution? I have this mystery to come!

Sue
RE is tought at our school by some people at the local church so I guess that the school donates an amount as a gesture of good will. My kids don't actually take RE so that saved us a whopping $5 yeah
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 5:13 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by woodyinoz
RE is tought at our school by some people at the local church so I guess that the school donates an amount as a gesture of good will. My kids don't actually take RE so that saved us a whopping $5 yeah
Is it optional in Oz then? I tried opting out in the UK and was told it was compulsory.

I don't mind a degree of RE if they are actually taught about different faiths, cultures and religions, but at my dd's old school, the local vicar took the class...

Sue
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 5:32 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

At our kids state school we were sent a letter home suggesting the donation for the year towards buildings etc was 100$ or something like that.

So we duly paid the next day and then were shocked to find our name listed as one of the 20 families that paid it !!! Like Jeez there are 400 kids + at that school. So whatever you get home like this it really is only optional.

I think now about 80 families have paid it so its a bit better.
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 5:36 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by spalen
At our kids state school we were sent a letter home suggesting the donation for the year towards buildings etc was 100$ or something like that.

So we duly paid the next day and then were shocked to find our name listed as one of the 20 families that paid it !!! Like Jeez there are 400 kids + at that school. So whatever you get home like this it really is only optional.

I think now about 80 families have paid it so its a bit better.
Don't forget that Building Fund Donations, for schools, are normally TAX Deductible

Old Sep 2nd 2005, 7:03 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Don't forget that Building Fund Donations, for schools, are normally TAX Deductible
Cool - thanks! Just need to find that receipt ;-)