Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

School/Education fees

School/Education fees

Old Sep 25th 2003, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

Ratman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default School/Education fees

Does anybody know what the school/education fees are in perth??, I have 3 children ranging from 8 to 15 which will need to be sorted.

Any help is grateful as I have a blank on this one !!

Ratman
Old Sep 25th 2003, 9:56 pm
Just Joined

Lena H is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: School/Education fees

Originally posted by Ratman
Does anybody know what the school/education fees are in perth??, I have 3 children ranging from 8 to 15 which will need to be sorted.

Any help is grateful as I have a blank on this one !!

Ratman

If you are sending them to state schools there are no fees but it is usual to have to make contribution at the begining of the term but I think it is reasonable not more then about £30. Next time I speak to my sister in law I'll check but I am sure thats about right
Old Sep 29th 2003, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

Ratman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Schooling costs

Thanks for the reply,

Any one else got any news on school fees and what it cost for youngsters..?

Having brought them up in the UK so far it might be a hidden cost that I had'nt planned

Regards

Ratman
Old Sep 29th 2003, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

This is Qld info but should be much the same for each state. State schools are technically "free". However I would allow
about $10.00 per child per week because you pay for everything from photocopy paper, art materials, tissues, right through to swimming lessons and excursions. (Of course you also have to provide books and uniforms).

Uniforms vary from about $ 50 for a state school dress to $900 to buy the 40 odd pieces of uniform for Private schools.

Levies such as art, science, school, computer are also requested.
High schools often have a hire scheme for the expensive text books and the subject fees at my kids school were paid in one lump sum at the beginning of the year which I prefered to the envelope system used in the Primary schools where almost every week you have envelopes to fill with money for each kid.

Private school fees here range from $3000 for a chatholic school to $9000 for a top old school, plus all the above.

Class sizes here seem to be 25 - 30 in primary and 36 - 38 in high school. Teachers usually work alone and teachers aids are rare except for in pre school. Support help is often volunteer parents (like me, reading support fully trained).

Look hard some state schools are just as good as Private.
Old Sep 29th 2003, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

Amanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really nice

Dotty

We are hoping to move out to the Sunshine Coast in Jan/Feb 2004. How do you know which schools are good? Are they measured by anyone ie. league table here? If not have you any tips/hints on what to look for? We are hoping to move to the Bribie Island area, we could probably stretch to private school if worth it although I would prefer not to go this root as I don't feel comfortable with the ethos.

Thanks for any help you can give

Amanda
Old Sep 29th 2003, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Amanda&Paul
Dotty

We are hoping to move out to the Sunshine Coast in Jan/Feb 2004. How do you know which schools are good? Are they measured by anyone ie. league table here? If not have you any tips/hints on what to look for? We are hoping to move to the Bribie Island area, we could probably stretch to private school if worth it although I would prefer not to go this root as I don't feel comfortable with the ethos.

Thanks for any help you can give

Amanda
No tables on schools performance in QLD. Pretty sure only school on Bribie would be a State tho. Are you sure about Bribie, bit dead isnt it, divided into two areas, the enclosed upmarket million a block stuff and the daggy bit. Too many old folk for me. Sunshine Coast may offer younger people and more choice schools etc. Plus what work would you get on Bribie without big commute?
Old Sep 30th 2003, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

Amanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really nice

Dotty

Thanks for the info. Where would you suggest? We certainly don't want to end up in a town full of oldies or the super rich (that is Bournemouth already!). We are open to suggestions - will make it easier when we arrive if we have a short list. We were told that Bribie Island was up and coming with good beaches etc but if not the case then certainly not interested. Our friends flew out last week and intend on looking closer to Brisbane - Wellington Point, haven't heard from them yet. What is Wellington Point like? Have heard that Bellbowrie is quite nice.

Paul is a plumber and I work for an Investment Bank here. I don't intend on working intially so I am not bothered about being too close to Brisbane. I hope to take my teacher training qualifications eventually so that I don't need to go back to banking.

Thanks alot

Amanda

PS. Are you moving back to the UK or so that just a rumour?
Old Sep 30th 2003, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Amanda&Paul
Dotty

Thanks for the info. Where would you suggest? We certainly don't want to end up in a town full of oldies or the super rich (that is Bournemouth already!). We are open to suggestions - will make it easier when we arrive if we have a short list. We were told that Bribie Island was up and coming with good beaches etc but if not the case then certainly not interested. Our friends flew out last week and intend on looking closer to Brisbane - Wellington Point, haven't heard from them yet. What is Wellington Point like? Have heard that Bellbowrie is quite nice.

Paul is a plumber and I work for an Investment Bank here. I don't intend on working intially so I am not bothered about being too close to Brisbane. I hope to take my teacher training qualifications eventually so that I don't need to go back to banking.

Thanks alot

Amanda

PS. Are you moving back to the UK or so that just a rumour?
What I dont like about Bribie is its full of old farts, (they are the ones who can afford the super expensive land) they put their money into houses so they are cash poor and then live off the pension, then sit back mowing and moaning all day. Most of the rich areas are full of them.

Welly points OK, Bellbowrie and those western suburbs are very reasonably priced, howerer they are very hot in summer which is the drawback and reason for the lower prices, however they are a good buy, leafy, big land, but not for me stinking hot in summer.

If your husbands a plumber (with proper quals he will make a killing here moneywise, note I said Qualifications) which means Sun Coast, Gold Coast and Bris are all full of work for him. You really have to drive around and see what you like as you have not been here. Young family, beach urge, plumber, take a look at Sunshine Coast, sounds more what you are looking for.

Yes we are going back, I explained why we stayed another year in another post, I felt housing market would totally explode pricewise, which it did, as we bought up before the boom, it would be stupid to have left just before it started throwing money at us so we stayed. Off to Uk again next month and will probably drive myself insane attempting where to buy. Then we have to return and sell business etc.
Old Oct 1st 2003, 2:07 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schooling costs

Originally posted by Ratman
Thanks for the reply,

Any one else got any news on school fees and what it cost for youngsters..?

Having brought them up in the UK so far it might be a hidden cost that I had'nt planned

Regards

Ratman
Ratman, same as dottys reply my comments are relative to Qld. Other states will differ, I have no idea how much. Agree with dotty about there being good state schools out there. Technically *free*, but yes you do have to pay fees for books etc regardless.

As for private schools & fees, there are a couple of schools with $9000 fees but luckily most are alot more reasonable.

Check out this websitePrivate schools in Qld from Brisbane's daily paper a few months back. Gives a run down of schools available, their websites, fees etc. At the bottom of the page is a list of links to other areas in Brisbane & Qld. Not going to help you in Perth, but it will give you an idea.

Amanda, like dotty, I dont think there is a private school on Bribie, but there are a few in Caboolture which is the closest area. My niece sends her daughter to one there, sorry not sure which one though. Theres a list on the above website under "north".

Actually I might post this in a new thread .

Dotty, funny you saying all that stuff about Bribie, while I dont disagree with you I am hanging out right now to buy a house at Toorbul/Donnybrook which is on the other side of the passage as soon as our house sale settles. If you think Bribie is quiet, you haven't seen Toorbul/Donnybrook LOL. We were going to buy something on the Sunshine Coast, but its way too busy! Too many people! I guess its horses for courses.
Old Oct 1st 2003, 2:21 am
BE Forum Addict

[run
Dotty, funny you saying all that stuff about Bribie, while I dont disagree with you I am hanging out right now to buy a house at Toorbul/Donnybrook which is on the other side of the passage as soon as our house sale settles. If you think Bribie is quiet, you haven't seen Toorbul/Donnybrook LOL. We were going to buy something on the Sunshine Coast, but its way too busy! Too many people! I guess its horses for courses. [/QUOTE]

Thats so funny, about a month ago, wise guy (husband), decided to drag me off the see a waterfront bargain! About 600 I think.
There is NOTHING there, like some 1950,s town, the only action was at the rural fire brigade office (due to the millions of pine trees which would block you getting out in a bushfire), just this long road to nowhere. The one shop was fishing bait, milk bar, PO, medicare computer all in one. Scary stuff. Even more scary was that 9/10 houses had kangaroo statues, god knows what that was about. Wise guy peed himself at my reaction which was unprintable. Needless to say I have not been back.

(Just not for me I realise some will love it, but V. funny if you knew me)

Still I guess if you want a quiet beach shack nice and cheap and have a boat it may look more favourable, could be quite a bargain long term too, once development goes in. Snap it up Mrs D we could have just let the secret out of the bag!!
Old Oct 1st 2003, 2:32 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dotty

Thats so funny, about a month ago, wise guy (husband), decided to drag me off the see a waterfront bargain! About 600 I think.
There is NOTHING there, like some 1950,s town, the only action was at the rural fire brigade office (due to the millions of pine trees which would block you getting out in a bushfire), just this long road to nowhere. The one shop was fishing bait, milk bar, PO, medicare computer all in one. Scary stuff. Even more scary was that 9/10 houses had kangaroo statues, god knows what that was about. Wise guy peed himself at my reaction which was unprintable. Needless to say I have not been back.

(Just not for me I realise some will love it, but V. funny if you knew me)

Still I guess if you want a quiet beach shack nice and cheap and have a boat it may look more favourable, could be quite a bargain long term too, once development goes in. Snap it up Mrs D we could have just let the secret out of the bag!!
"The one shop was fishing bait, milk bar, PO, medicare computer all in one" .... you HAVE been there! LOL. I want that 1950s town! I love it!

Yes I want the beach shack & yes we have a boat! But as you pointed out I think longterm it will be a good investment. Where else can you buy beachfront land that close to Brisbane for that sort of money? You cant. Im just hanging out for this sale to go through.
Old Oct 1st 2003, 2:34 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
"The one shop was fishing bait, milk bar, PO, medicare computer all in one" .... you HAVE been there! LOL. I want that 1950s town! I love it!

Yes I want the beach shack & yes we have a boat! But as you pointed out I think longterm it will be a good investment. Where else can you buy beachfront land that close to Brisbane for that sort of money? You cant. Im just hanging out for this sale to go through.
Fifty years ago Noosa was a quiet place and probably very cheap. Look at it now. Mrs Dagboy you are taking a gamble but it sounds likely to pay off. Not my kind of place though. No one mentioned pub.
Old Oct 1st 2003, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by bondipom
Fifty years ago Noosa was a quiet place and probably very cheap. Look at it now. Mrs Dagboy you are taking a gamble but it sounds likely to pay off. Not my kind of place though. No one mentioned pub.
The pub, was a sign and what looked like to be someones garage, shoved up the side of a house.
Old Oct 1st 2003, 2:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by MrsDagboy

Go Girl, buy it, last time I was waffling on here with someone about a good buy suburb it appeared in the Courier Mail three months later as No 7 top growth spot in OZ!!

Bus loads of RE Bargain hunters could be out there as we speak, Perhaps I'll take another look, I like 50's dresses is that a start??

Old Oct 1st 2003, 3:01 am
Rocket Scientist

bondi, 20 years ago Noosa was quiet & cheap! I spent most of my childhood weekends & holidays in Noosa & Cooloola northshore. We owned a block of land 5 away from the beach at Sunshine beach. Wish we still did. My brother owns a beach house at Teewah, its worth a mint now, I cant afford to buy anything there!

Yes, the pub at Toorbul is a double car colourbond garage, hey at least its got character. Meet you down the pub dotty, I'll look out for the 50s dress, but I might have trouble spotting you amongst all the others there .

If you think Toorbul is bad, Donnybrook is worse. It doesnt even have a pub although it does have a bowls club!

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Oct 1st 2003 at 3:04 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.