Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The School debate - food for thought

The School debate - food for thought

Old Mar 1st 2005, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute
Default The School debate - food for thought

From the BBC website:

A fifth of England's secondary schools believe they have a problem with "gang culture", an Ofsted report suggests.
The education watchdog also said up to half of pupils in some schools showed signs of poor behaviour, mainly "low-level disruption".

It called for "strong leadership and effective teaching", after looking at 15 secondary and 63 primary schools and referral units for excluded children.

The government said it encouraged "zero tolerance" of disruption.

'Behaviour declining'

An Ofsted spokeswoman told BBC News that most problems with gangs were "perceived", with little evidence to back them up.

But, she added, it was important to address schools' concerns.

It is worrying that unsatisfactory behaviour has not reduced over time

David Bell, chief inspector of schools in England

Ofsted's annual report, published earlier this month, showed that the proportion of "good or better" behaviour in secondary schools had declined from more than three-quarters to two-thirds since 1997.

Following the latest report, England's chief schools inspector, David Bell, said: "Although the large majority of schools are orderly places where children behave well, it is worrying that unsatisfactory behaviour has not reduced over time.

"Unsatisfactory behaviour by a minority of pupils causes nuisance and distress and disrupts the learning of others and I hope this report helps early years centres, schools, colleges and LEAs [local education authorities] tackle it effectively."

Weapon-carrying incidents were described as occurring never, or at the most once a year, in 60% of schools.

In just under 30% of the schools visited, there might be an incident each term and fewer than 10% estimated there were two or more incidents.

'Zero tolerance'

Ofsted said schools needed a strong sense of community, good links with parents and the use of information systems that tracked and analysed behaviour.

Well-maintained buildings had an influence on pupils' "pride".

The report recommends "regular training, focused on classroom practice, combined with an in-depth appreciation of child and adolescent development".

Schools Minister Derek Twigg said: "We are supporting schools in showing zero tolerance to any bad behaviour.

"Permanent exclusions are 25% lower than 1997 and, as Ofsted acknowledges, pupil behaviour is good in most schools most of the time."

The institutions featured in the study were in Camden, Croydon, Durham, North Somerset, Shropshire, Stockport, Sandwell and Wiltshire.

I live in West Sussex, in a leafy town - we have council estates, very expensive areas and usual middle of the road areas. Enough said that the local papers report muggings, mobile phone thefts, car damage, late night drinking and violence near enough every single week. I feel safe going out at night, but as for teenagers......half will be looking for trouble I think.

Anyway - no doubt same situations all over the world but I do sense (and my family already in Oz who have visited the UK confirm)....kids just grow up a bit slower in Oz.......at least where my family live anyway. No doubt inner city living has same issues be it Sydney, London, Glasgow, New York or whereever. Food for thought for those coming back to the UK with new babies......there is a hefty crowd leaving the UK exactly for their kids benefit.
Old Mar 1st 2005, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

Heathertoes will become famous soon enoughHeathertoes will become famous soon enough
Unhappy Re: The School debate - food for thought

Couldn't agree with you more. This is one of the primary reasons for us looking to make the move. I have lived in our little village all of my life and have seen how this village has changed. What frightens me is if this is happening to this small community - what is happening in the bigger towns and how will it change in our children's life time, what will become the norm for them?

I know you get probs whereever you go, but when you can't even take your little one round to the local park for fear of what you might find it does make you look at their future in this country from a different angle.
Old Mar 1st 2005, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

desperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to all
Default Re: The School debate - food for thought

Imo the media has ALOT to answer for in the children growing up too quickly debate. So there is alot to be said for less time spent indoors watching tv in oz- in more ways than one.
Old Mar 1st 2005, 9:49 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

I blame the Government and President Blair .

They created the the culture of bad behaviour. If they set a good example then others would be more inclined to do likewise.

When Euan Blair got blind drunk on New Years Eve a few years ago TB just laughed it off and said kids will be kids. He now wants 24 hour drinking when nobody else wants it.

He repeatedly lies. ie. IRAQ.

Nothing is ever their fault. They always look to blame someone else.

They manipulate figures on everything from NHS performance, school standards (you now get a GCSE will a box of cornflakes !!) etc etc. More spinning and deceit.

If the Government lies why should the people be any different.

They indirectly disciminate against family values by taking away tax advantages and giving making it more tax advantageous to be a single parent

I could go on. Blair and New Labour have destroyed this country.
Old Mar 1st 2005, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by desperate2go
Imo the media has ALOT to answer for in the children growing up too quickly debate. So there is alot to be said for less time spent indoors watching tv in oz- in more ways than one.
You are spot on there.......more information can sometimes harm. My kids get bombarded with information at school which is fine, in the playground (latest crazes and toys) and worse of all the TV (yes I know we can turn it off..........but with 2 working parents and 3 kids (twins) just 18 mths apart the TV does help keep people happy/quiet some times..........most parents on here will know what I mean)

This is why I make every effort on Saturdays to take my boys out playing football (snow, rain or whatever) instead of watching Saturday morning TV...........I have to take them as there is no park in walking distance and my garden is a mud bath...........or do I let them kick about in the street (they are only 8 and 9) and annoy neighbours.

My kids classmates are sometimes concerned about having their hell gelled up each morning and made in to a Beckham mohican coloured red ........they are lost to childhood. Maybe do this once ina while on dressing up day.....but jeeze. I was more concerned about not forgetting my football at age 8 and what I had for lunch !
Old Mar 1st 2005, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BAY

They created the the culture of bad behaviour. If they set a good example then others would be more inclined to do likewise.

When Euan Blair got blind drunk on New Years Eve a few years ago TB just laughed it off and said kids will be kids. He now wants 24 hour drinking when nobody else wants it.

He repeatedly lies. ie. IRAQ.

Nothing is ever their fault. They always look to blame someone else.

They manipulate figures on everything from NHS performance, school standards (you now get a GCSE will a box of cornflakes !!) etc etc. More spinning and deceit.

If the Government lies why should the people be any different.

They indirectly disciminate against family values by taking away tax advantages and giving making it more tax advantageous to be a single parent

You're not alone in your views.....I know many who have exact same thoughts. Iraq was a big mistake in the way they spun the reasons for going to war. That poor man who committed suicide.......As for the NHS, if my wife has to buy her own pens we're doomed !.........what next?......surgeons bringing their own scalpels ? My wifes stories are legendary but can never be told.
Old Mar 1st 2005, 10:01 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BAY

They created the the culture of bad behaviour.:

so its not the parents fault????
what about discipline in the home, teaching your kids right from wrong, teaching them morals and values?

you cant blame the govt and tb, (even though they are a bunch of idiots ) discipline begins at home.....my kids are 7 and 4, and although they can be little varmints, when they go out they are polite, well mannered and behave impecably - I was told only a couple of weeks ago by the nursery nurse at the creche in meadowhall shopping centre that my children were the most politest and well behaved children she had had the pleasure of looking after.
i live on what david blunkett described as one of the worst council estates in britain, and i have no problems with my kids - its the discipline and values that are instilled in the kids from an early age (or rather, that ARENT instilled in them!) that creates the culture of bad behaviour, not the govt or some t##t in a suit.
Old Mar 1st 2005, 10:16 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
what about discipline in the home, teaching your kids right from wrong, teaching them morals and values?

you cant blame the govt and tb, (even though they are a bunch of idiots ) discipline begins at home.....my kids are 7 and 4, and although they can be little varmints, when they go out they are polite, well mannered and behave impecably - I was told only a couple of weeks ago by the nursery nurse at the creche in meadowhall shopping centre that my children were the most politest and well behaved children she had had the pleasure of looking after.
i live on what david blunkett described as one of the worst council estates in britain, and i have no problems with my kids - its the discipline and values that are instilled in the kids from an early age (or rather, that ARENT instilled in them!) that creates the culture of bad behaviour, not the govt or some t##t in a suit.
I quite agree with you.

I've a 2 1/2 year old boy. My son too has been brought up to be polite, well mannered and to behave impecably.

However, there are many families where unfortunately this is not the case. I firmly believe that it would help if Tony Blair and New Labour set a good example. The families where behaviour is not so good would then be more inclined to be better behaved.

David Blunkett is a classic example. He sees nothing wrong in starting an affair with a woman who had only been married for 5 weeks. He then has two children with her. Where is the morallity in that ! So much of what has gone wrong with this country is the moral vacuum that exists. And that is where Tony Blair and New Labour should be setting a good example.
Old Mar 1st 2005, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

You're absolutely 100% right, but the job of being a parent gets harder as your kids get older and pick up more "habits" from others they meet and play with. You can't pick you kids playground friends. My son got "kid of the term" one year...but he still has his moments I can tell you. All those on here with kids under 5 have lots of surprises in store as they progress through the primary and junior school years.........language being one of them. My kids pick up bad language from 11 year olds in the school and all we can do as parents is advise that it's totally unacceptable and not to be used again and dish out some sort of punishment.......like no treats, no sweets, early to bed, no TV...........dare I say a "light" smack !!!!!!!!!! there's a red rag to a bull.

Last edited by Olibeneli; Mar 1st 2005 at 10:29 am.
Old Mar 1st 2005, 10:26 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BAY
David Blunkett is a classic example. He sees nothing wrong in starting an affair with a woman who had only been married for 5 weeks. He then has two children with her. Where is the morallity in that ! So much of what has gone wrong with this country is the moral vacuum that exists. And that is where Tony Blair and New Labour should be setting a good example.

They do seem to be a law unto themselves, dont they??
what DID she see in him......?
Old Mar 1st 2005, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

They do seem to be a law unto themselves, dont they??
what DID she see in him......?
............easy access to a cheap au pair, nanny or whatever it was

Last edited by Olibeneli; Mar 1st 2005 at 10:43 am.
Old Mar 1st 2005, 10:37 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BAY

Yeah

Well soon New labour will have another term in office and the Tory sleazebags will be on the sidelines yet again.

Great Democracy isn't it?

G
Old Mar 1st 2005, 10:39 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Olibeneli
You're not alone in your views.....I know many who have exact same thoughts. Iraq was a big mistake in the way they spun the reasons for going to war. That poor man who committed suicide.......As for the NHS, if my wife has to buy her own pens we're doomed !.........what next?......surgeons bringing their own scalpels ? My wifes stories are legendary but can never be told.
I work in the NHS as well.

Strange how I don't see these faults

Close the door when you leave please.

G
Old Mar 1st 2005, 10:41 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by BAY

However, there are many families where unfortunately this is not the case. I firmly believe that it would help if Tony Blair and New Labour set a good example. The families where behaviour is not so good would then be more inclined to be better behaved.

Mark Thatcher obviously had a good role model

Must have been his mother's influence

G
Old Mar 1st 2005, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Grayling
Mark Thatcher obviously had a good role model

Must have been his mother's influence

G
That's down to good parenting......completely different to politics and running a country

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.