British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   School curriculum British vs Oz (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/school-curriculum-british-vs-oz-921747/)

Dom and Jarrett Feb 4th 2019 8:53 am

School curriculum British vs Oz

Hi All,

We are new to this forum and are emigrating to Melbourne in mid March. We have been granted our 482 visa as a family of four. We have two daughters ages 5 1/2yrs and 3yrs.

I have been trying to research schools and the curriculum in detail and have found a lot of literature on the Victorian curriculum but I'd like to hear from those who have done it about how their children found the process of changing to the Australian system? What are the key differences and how do assessments differ? Were they ahead/ behind/ what additional support might be needed to make the transition as smooth as possible?

Any advice gratefully received.

thank you! D&J

Pollyana Feb 4th 2019 11:28 am

Re: School curriculum British vs Oz

Originally Posted by Dom and Jarrett (Post 12632129)
Hi All,

We are new to this forum and are emigrating to Melbourne in mid March. We have been granted our 482 visa as a family of four. We have two daughters ages 5 1/2yrs and 3yrs.

I have been trying to research schools and the curriculum in detail and have found a lot of literature on the Victorian curriculum but I'd like to hear from those who have done it about how their children found the process of changing to the Australian system? What are the key differences and how do assessments differ? Were they ahead/ behind/ what additional support might be needed to make the transition as smooth as possible?

Any advice gratefully received.

thank you! D&J

I don't know much about Aussie schools but at the age of 3 the little one will not even be in school here, Where you stand for kindergarten or preschool as temporary visa holders I'm not sure but you won't get the government help that PR holders get. You'll need to check the induction dates to see whether the older one can start school straight away, the age and intake date varies from State to State. but as she will be among the youngest in the school she may well be ahead of her peers!
On a 482 I think you will be liable to pay international fees in Victoria too,

Others on here know much more than me so I'm sure someone can give you more specifics.

Dom and Jarrett Feb 4th 2019 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 12632220)
I don't know much about Aussie schools but at the age of 3 the little one will not even be in school here, Where you stand for kindergarten or preschool as temporary visa holders I'm not sure but you won't get the government help that PR holders get. You'll need to check the induction dates to see whether the older one can start school straight away, the age and intake date varies from State to State. but as she will be among the youngest in the school she may well be ahead of her peers!
On a 482 I think you will be liable to pay international fees in Victoria too,

Others on here know much more than me so I'm sure someone can give you more specifics.

Thanks for your reply Pollyanna! We were expecting to pay international fees at some point so have contacted some government and independent schools directly for more info on that specifically.

There seems to be a lot more info available on forums and from parents on changing from the Oz system back to the UK, and much less going from UK to Oz which maybe means its less difficult... but I'd still like that reassurance. Thanks again for your message :)

brits1 Feb 4th 2019 12:46 pm

Hi, it was many years ago now, our two sons were 4 yrs (nearly 5) and 7yrs when they stated school in WA, our youngest was in reception in the UK, both were "in front" of their peers in WA and the school wanted to "put them up a year" but I did not want to do this as our youngest was already going to be the youngest in his "proper" year let alone a year above and similar for our eldest, we just did a little bit of extr homework so they "kept up" their own levels. What I did do was to bring all their UK school work and books over with us and showed these to their AUS primary school which helped. Both our boys did very well at school and they always say they found it easy (not in a big headed way) our youngest is now a primary school teacher here in the UK and he says it's very impressive what they are taught here and he even learns things lol.
If I recall and friend of our neice went to WA a few years ago on the visa you have and she hatd to pay $4000 pa (this cost does vary from state to state) plus the extra cost of books lists, fees etc for the primary school.
Good luck with the move.
Hope this helps.

quoll Feb 5th 2019 5:19 am

I didn’t think Victoria charged temporary residents, they didn’t charge the old 457 visa holders though Dopey Dan might change his mind as the coffers get emptier. The kids will be just fine, much less rigor in early learning in Australia. The problems will come when you return to U.K. but from all reports of returnees U.K. schools are good at helping kids catch up. Your 3 yr old might not even hit school before you return (cut off is 30 April in Vic) and you will be paying for child care for her if you both plan to work (no subsidy)

Pollyana Feb 5th 2019 5:43 am

Originally Posted by quoll (Post 12632607)
I didn’t think Victoria charged temporary residents, they didn’t charge the old 457 visa holders though Dopey Dan might change his mind as the coffers get emptier. The kids will be just fine, much less rigor in early learning in Australia. The problems will come when you return to U.K. but from all reports of returnees U.K. schools are good at helping kids catch up. Your 3 yr old might not even hit school before you return (cut off is 30 April in Vic) and you will be paying for child care for her if you both plan to work (no subsidy)

ok, my mistake, I thought Victoria charged 457s but if not then :thumbup:

Dom and Jarrett Feb 5th 2019 11:46 am

Originally Posted by quoll (Post 12632607)

Great advice thank you for this, we will check again on the fees side of things :) kids are quick to adapt to most things but the smoother the transition the better, I hope!

Dom and Jarrett Feb 5th 2019 11:51 am

Originally Posted by brits1 (Post 12632258)
Hi, it was many years ago now, our two sons were 4 yrs (nearly 5) and 7yrs when they stated school in WA, our youngest was in reception in the UK, both were "in front" of their peers in WA and the school wanted to "put them up a year" but I did not want to do this as our youngest was already going to be the youngest in his "proper" year let alone a year above and similar for our eldest, we just did a little bit of extr homework so they "kept up" their own levels. What I did do was to bring all their UK school work and books over with us and showed these to their AUS primary school which helped. Both our boys did very well at school and they always say they found it easy (not in a big headed way) our youngest is now a primary school teacher here in the UK and he says it's very impressive what they are taught here and he even learns things lol.
If I recall and friend of our neice went to WA a few years ago on the visa you have and she hatd to pay $4000 pa (this cost does vary from state to state) plus the extra cost of books lists, fees etc for the primary school.
Good luck with the move.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for your message this is really interesting. We will bring our books with us along with the most recent school reports and see where they fit in. We have written to 4 schools already asking the basic questions but its great to hear that there is a flexibility to allow for different levels. im feeling reassured, thank you!

brits1 Feb 6th 2019 6:29 am

Originally Posted by Dom and Jarrett (Post 12632788)
Thanks for your message this is really interesting. We will bring our books with us along with the most recent school reports and see where they fit in. We have written to 4 schools already asking the basic questions but its great to hear that there is a flexibility to allow for different levels. im feeling reassured, thank you!

Glad to help and hope all goes well for you and your family x