Reload this Page >

school comparisons

school comparisons

Old Oct 18th 2013, 12:27 am
Forum Regular

indiana is an unknown quantity at this point
Default school comparisons

Hi

i've been googling but not finding much info. Is there a website that compares QLD schools?

We applied for a few schools when we moved here, we took a place at the first school that came available which wasn't our first choice but because we struggled to get him in anywhere (he had been out of school for over 3 months), we took the place. So this is his 2nd term at the school and he has settled well and likes it.

Yesterday we had a call from our 1st choice school offering him a place starting in the new school year. We are undecided on what to do, we're reluctant to move him as he's settled, however the work he gets sent home - Numeracy - adding on 1! and literacy is also very basic, i've asked the teacher if she has any harder worksheets, but she told me no, if i want him to do harder work I would have to sort that out myself, which is fine and I do, however I feel like the hours spent sitting in the classroom are kind of wasted and he's not learning anything. He does alot of meditation and yoga daily which seems more important than actually learning.

My worry is if we move him maybe the other school will be no better, so we'll go through the upheaval and cost/ uniform etc. to be no better off. The school he attends at the moment is a lovely school but I just worry about the fact he seems to not be learning, although he would be yr4 in the uk and here he's in yr2, so maybe thats why i see such a huge difference. Also his current school doesn't do languages and our first choice does, which does sway me slightly.

We had a chat with him last night, before we mentioned the place we spoke about how he was enjoying school, and he said he loved it, his favourite things were that his teacher gave him lots of lollies and ice blocks and money! we then told him about the offer of a place at the other school and he said he wanted to go there instead because ''he liked being a new starter''

Obviously we want to make the right decision based on which school we think he would do best at, but we just don't know. We have to let them know our decision later today. If anyones got any info on where I could get more school info that would be great. Tia
Old Oct 18th 2013, 12:36 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: school comparisons

Originally Posted by indiana
Hi

i've been googling but not finding much info. Is there a website that compares QLD schools?

We applied for a few schools when we moved here, we took a place at the first school that came available which wasn't our first choice but because we struggled to get him in anywhere (he had been out of school for over 3 months), we took the place. So this is his 2nd term at the school and he has settled well and likes it.

Yesterday we had a call from our 1st choice school offering him a place starting in the new school year. We are undecided on what to do, we're reluctant to move him as he's settled, however the work he gets sent home - Numeracy - adding on 1! and literacy is also very basic, i've asked the teacher if she has any harder worksheets, but she told me no, if i want him to do harder work I would have to sort that out myself, which is fine and I do, however I feel like the hours spent sitting in the classroom are kind of wasted and he's not learning anything. He does alot of meditation and yoga daily which seems more important than actually learning.

My worry is if we move him maybe the other school will be no better, so we'll go through the upheaval and cost/ uniform etc. to be no better off. The school he attends at the moment is a lovely school but I just worry about the fact he seems to not be learning, although he would be yr4 in the uk and here he's in yr2, so maybe thats why i see such a huge difference. Also his current school doesn't do languages and our first choice does, which does sway me slightly.

We had a chat with him last night, before we mentioned the place we spoke about how he was enjoying school, and he said he loved it, his favourite things were that his teacher gave him lots of lollies and ice blocks and money! we then told him about the offer of a place at the other school and he said he wanted to go there instead because ''he liked being a new starter''

Obviously we want to make the right decision based on which school we think he would do best at, but we just don't know. We have to let them know our decision later today. If anyones got any info on where I could get more school info that would be great. Tia
This link might help.

http://www.myschool.edu.au/
Old Oct 18th 2013, 7:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing beats the eyeball test IMHO but don't be expecting British standards, if you're in Qld, you'll get Queensland standards!
Old Oct 18th 2013, 10:56 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Nothing beats the eyeball test IMHO but don't be expecting British standards, if you're in Qld, you'll get Queensland standards!
Agree.