Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

School Certificate Results

School Certificate Results

Old Dec 9th 2005, 3:31 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute
Default School Certificate Results

My son has recevied his results today and he didn't do to badly considering we only got here in May. He even did quite well in Australian History. I am very proud of him because he hated school in the UK as he was bullied constantly and didn't have any friends. He never worked at school, but since starting over here, he has many friends and enjoys school and has really pulled his socks up. He acheived an array of B's and C's in part 1 and 3s and 4s in part 2. (please don't aske what it all means as I'm just as confused )

Jo
Old Dec 9th 2005, 6:02 am
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: School Certificate Results

Originally Posted by joho
My son has recevied his results today and he didn't do to badly considering we only got here in May. He even did quite well in Australian History. I am very proud of him because he hated school in the UK as he was bullied constantly and didn't have any friends. He never worked at school, but since starting over here, he has many friends and enjoys school and has really pulled his socks up. He acheived an array of B's and C's in part 1 and 3s and 4s in part 2. (please don't aske what it all means as I'm just as confused )

Jo
aw thats superb news. Tell him well done, thats a big acheivement to say he hasnt been there that long. Clever lad!!
Old Dec 9th 2005, 6:11 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

Jo
Well done him . I am waiting to hear how our son has done in his year 10 exams (we only got here October so we aren't expecting too much).
Nicky
Old Dec 9th 2005, 6:24 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyP
Well done him . I am waiting to hear how our son has done in his year 10 exams (we only got here October so we aren't expecting too much).
Nicky
Should be any day now for you too as my boys was year 10 results.

Jo
Old Dec 9th 2005, 6:36 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

Should be any day now for you too as my boys was year 10 results.

Jo
Ooooohhh not sure he expected it that quickly hee hee. They have used his Belgian IB results to decide what subjects he is able to take next year so it isn't really a big deal but it would be good to hear how he did. He should be OK in everything except perhaps English as he missed a whole term of studying Shakespeare so wasn't really up on the quotes. He only had to do exams in maths, science and English though.
Nicky
Old Dec 9th 2005, 6:49 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Gosh this whole school thing is painful even after 3.5 yrs here.

My son graduated Year 10 today...I wasn't there but at work, hubby managed to go. He achieved 4 at level 5 and one subject at level 6....level 6 being the highest, not bad for the youngest in the year at 15.

But then again judging by the results A vs number etc here on the thread, are all the kids just learning to pull the wool over our eyes cause us immigrant would not know better!!!
Old Dec 9th 2005, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sandra
Gosh this whole school thing is painful even after 3.5 yrs here.

My son graduated Year 10 today...I wasn't there but at work, hubby managed to go. He achieved 4 at level 5 and one subject at level 6....level 6 being the highest, not bad for the youngest in the year at 15.

But then again judging by the results A vs number etc here on the thread, are all the kids just learning to pull the wool over our eyes cause us immigrant would not know better!!!
Smart Arse

Thats really good ,I reckon level 6 is the equiv of an A*, level 5 A, level 4 B etc. to get a 6 you had to get over 90%. It seems much better scoring than the Uk because the bands are set. In Uk the top ??% get a* then the next ??% get A etch and the top ??% could be 50% and above.

Jo
Old Dec 9th 2005, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

stokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant future

Does the Australian government move the goalposts on exam results the same way as the UK does to make it look like things are improving?

What the hell is an A* and what possible need is there for it. What's wrong with an A,B,C etc. etc.
Old Dec 9th 2005, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stokesy43
Does the Australian government move the goalposts on exam results the same way as the UK does to make it look like things are improving?

What the hell is an A* and what possible need is there for it. What's wrong with an A,B,C etc. etc.
All states are different. In NSW you almost need a degree in statistics to understand how it works. For the HSC (final year exams) you get a result which is your mark - they do muck about a bit with the raw marks to get it - but effectively it's the mark that you earned. If everyone does well in the year and everyone gets over 90, then everyone gets over 90.

It's when they calculate the UAI that the fun starts. Universities award places based on the UAI and not the HSC result. The UAI is not a mark but your rank in the state. Calculations are performed on everyones HSC result to arrive at the UAI. This means that even though every student might have done well in the exams (and have over 90 in the HSC) their UAI is spread from 0 to 100 - with the worst perfomers getting the low ranks and the best performers getting the high ones. Your rank/position is entirely dependent on how everyone else performed (if they did better than you, you get a low rank - if you did better than them, you get a high rank.)

Simple eh?
Old Dec 9th 2005, 12:12 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

To both Jo and Sandra,
Tell your boys Well Done.
I hope they are really proud of themselves
Julie. x
Old Dec 12th 2005, 6:02 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Jo
Congrats to your son, I have now read everything I can and quizzed my son about someone have to join year 10 and then sitting the exams and missing course work, he thinks these results are well smart!

Has your son made up his mind about choices for Year 11/12?

Cheers sandra
Old Dec 12th 2005, 6:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sandra
Congrats to your son, I have now read everything I can and quizzed my son about someone have to join year 10 and then sitting the exams and missing course work, he thinks these results are well smart!

Has your son made up his mind about choices for Year 11/12?

Cheers sandra
Say thanks to your son, he has made me feel good. Yes he has choosen his options, Maths, software design and develpment, information tech vec course?, chemistry, phsycis, Advanced English, bloody hell sound complicated to me. Glad I'm passed school age.

Jo