Reload this Page >

School Business Manager ?

School Business Manager ?

Old Jan 17th 2017, 9:49 pm
Just Joined

davejules&aoife is an unknown quantity at this point
Default School Business Manager ?

Good evening (or morning)
MY Wife and I have been long time lurkers and readers of this forum and having applied to emigrate to New Zealand over 13 years ago and not gone, emigration has been put on the agenda again.

My Wife has a degree in Business and qualified as a teacher but did not pursue this role. Instead she went down the Finance route in a school and is a School Business Manager planning budgets and managing finances. We noticed there seems to be some related roles on the SOL but having not been familiar with recent emigration changes as we haven't been actively looking for a while we are not up to date with it all.

Has anyone else emigrated as a School Business Manager? OR gotten a job as a School Business Manager or anything similar? We will be looking into it more closely in coming weeks in more depth and this is just an initial enquiry as I would love to hear if its possible or not. We are 41 and 42 and realise time is not on our side for emigrating....
Many thanks for your input
Dave
Old Jan 18th 2017, 3:43 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: School Business Manager ?

I work a lot in schools - in my state (Western Australia) I believe every school has a business manager. I have no idea the selection criteria however. The Western Australia Department of Education used to have a system where central managers in Perth appointed teachers to various schools, but there was a reform a few years ago where a lot of schools (but not all of them) are now "independent public schools" and can advertise positions and hire on their own without having to accept transfers or go into the existing pools. I do not know if that also applies to the business managers but I am assuming it probably would.

Each state runs its education system its own way, however, and you will have to research how school-based positions are appointed in the respective state you are looking to live in.

I can say - just because that school-based position is on the SOL or CSOL does not mean there is an actual shortage. More often it is an "imbalance" rather than a shortage - ie in WA there is a "shortage" in some Outback areas but a major surplus in Perth and therefore an "imbalance" - there would be no shortage at all if some of the surplus were willing to go remote or Outback, and it is very, very difficult to land a school-based position in Perth.

You may find that in other states the situation is the same - ie very tough to find a role in Sydney and the "shortage" is in other parts of NSW.

I do know a few years ago a number of private schools in the Melbourne area were advertising overseas for teachers but I don't know if that is still going on or if there was also a need for business managers.

The best thing to do would maybe be, once you hone in on a particular area and have a visa (no point in bothering without a visa), just contacting some business managers yourself and asking if you can pop by for a chat about how to land a role (you will be unlikely to get a response if you are still overseas). They would probably be amenable to that.

Good luck.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 5:17 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davejules&aoife
Good evening (or morning)
MY Wife and I have been long time lurkers and readers of this forum and having applied to emigrate to New Zealand over 13 years ago and not gone, emigration has been put on the agenda again.

My Wife has a degree in Business and qualified as a teacher but did not pursue this role. Instead she went down the Finance route in a school and is a School Business Manager planning budgets and managing finances. We noticed there seems to be some related roles on the SOL but having not been familiar with recent emigration changes as we haven't been actively looking for a while we are not up to date with it all.

Has anyone else emigrated as a School Business Manager? OR gotten a job as a School Business Manager or anything similar? We will be looking into it more closely in coming weeks in more depth and this is just an initial enquiry as I would love to hear if its possible or not. We are 41 and 42 and realise time is not on our side for emigrating....
Many thanks for your input
Dave
First step would be to look at the related roles and see if your wife could actually pass any of the skills assessments associated with those roles - the actual title of a role on the lists may not match her duties etc, thus she wouldn't necessarily pass a skills assessment. This may be somewhere that you would want to consult an agent.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

davejules&aoife is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes thanks. Will check on list then assessment authorities and we will contact an agent,