Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

school ages Queensland

school ages Queensland

Old Apr 23rd 2007, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

lissylee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default school ages Queensland

Can anyone help me with info on the starting ages for children commencing school in Queensland. Here in Perth they have to be 4 before the 30th JUne to start kindy in January of that year.
I have 1 child born in March 2003 currently in kindy, and 1 child born in June 2005, here he would start kindy in Jan 2009.
Thanks
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 1:10 pm
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: school ages Queensland

They've just made some changes to this in Queensland and introduced a (non-compulsory as far as I'm aware) Prep year before Year 1. I believe they are doing away with the whole 'pre-school' thing now. I don't have the cut-offs for the age but if you go to the Queensland Dept of Education website they have user friendly guide to the Prep changes (that will also link you to Year 1). It can also depend on the school that you send your children to (ie: discussions with Principal and teachers over whether your child is ready) and I think on Tamborine this would be likely (smaller community etc).

You could easily google the schools on Tamborine and I think there are links from the community pages. You could probably get in touch with them and get more accurate information.

Good luck moving up there - one of my friends has lived up there for years. Fortunately for her, her parents bought a block of land up there in the 70s or something, before it was really cool, and now it's worth a fortune. They still live in a shed though!!! I've often thought about moving up there as it would be halfway between my family on the Coast and my family in the bush but rentals always seemed too dear!

The windy roads are mad - I remember when I used to go up there in my crappy uni car to visit my mate I was always getting tailgated and harrassed!! My car had 3 cylinders!! It was practically a ride-on mower!!!
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

lissylee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: school ages Queensland

Thankyou for your info on the schools.
One of my main concerns is the windy roads as I will be working shifts in the gold coast so will have to travel late nights.